Aspirin's fat burning mechanism found

Options
2»

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! :) AMPK is actually a re-occurring theme in my lab since we study skeletal muscle metabolism. It's influenced in a lot of ways just by training/nutritional status, etc. Not surprised about the aspirin...it knocks out your gut bacteria, and no gut bacteria = higher AMPK activity.

Oh wow! I had no idea gut bacteria was even a factor. That's really interesting. Thank you again for the great reply!

I know this is kind of a tangent, but it's really amazing how internal bacteria levels can drastically change body function. It seems to affect just about everything.

It SO DOES!!! Makes me want to geek out all over the place. :love: I love my research area.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! :) AMPK is actually a re-occurring theme in my lab since we study skeletal muscle metabolism. It's influenced in a lot of ways just by training/nutritional status, etc. Not surprised about the aspirin...it knocks out your gut bacteria, and no gut bacteria = higher AMPK activity.

Oh wow! I had no idea gut bacteria was even a factor. That's really interesting. Thank you again for the great reply!

I know this is kind of a tangent, but it's really amazing how internal bacteria levels can drastically change body function. It seems to affect just about everything.

It SO DOES!!! Makes me want to geek out all over the place. :love: I love my research area.
    Do you know of any evidence that aspirin increases AMPK activity in humans?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Do you know of any evidence that aspirin increases AMPK activity in humans?

Well no one really can give humans enough aspirin/NSAIDS to knock out their gut bacteria since that causes horrible ulcerative bloody side-effects. ^_^
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Oh, well I know that taking aspirin as a fat burner is a ridiculous idea. I have no intention of ever taking any medicine regularly, especially daily, if I can avoid it.

I guess I didn't think about the dumbasses. Never do. :laugh:

I couldn't care less about people abusing or not abusing medicine. I am just curious and exploring the topic. :)

songbyrdsweet: Thank you. That was exactly the type of insight I was after. :drinker:

So that's the question people should be asking what can they do via diet and exercise to increase AMPK?
    Isn't gut bacteria implicated somehow in weight gain. If gut flora not good can have weight gain?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Oh, well I know that taking aspirin as a fat burner is a ridiculous idea. I have no intention of ever taking any medicine regularly, especially daily, if I can avoid it.

I couldn't care less about people abusing or not abusing medicine. I am just curious and exploring the topic. :)

songbyrdsweet: Thank you. That was exactly the type of insight I was after. :drinker:

So that's the question people should be asking what can they do via diet and exercise to increase AMPK?
    Isn't gut bacteria implicated somehow in weight gain. If gut flora not good can have weight gain?

Your diet and exercise already influence AMPk. But AMPk is not the whole picture and that would be a gross oversimplification - there are many other things going on that influence the big picture. So no, people should not ask themselves that.

But even specifically with AMPk, it's not as simple as "increasing AMPk = good". For example, increase AMPk will inhibit protein synthesis. If your goal is to gain muscle, this is counterproductive.
    Another example: alcohol may activate AMPk. I'm sure you can see how this may give some people the wrong idea.

My point is that the typical dieter does not really need to be concerned about AMPk in order to achieve their goals.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Your diet and exercise already influence AMPk. But AMPk is not the whole picture and that would be a gross oversimplification - there are many other things going on that influence the big picture. So no, people should not ask themselves that.

But even specifically with AMPk, it's not as simple as "increasing AMPk = good". For example, increase AMPk will inhibit protein synthesis. If your goal is to gain muscle, this is counterproductive.
    Another example: alcohol may activate AMPk. I'm sure you can see how this may give some people the wrong idea.

My point is that the typical dieter does not really need to be concerned about AMPk in order to achieve their goals.

I was replying to "it's influenced in a lot of ways just by training/nutritional status". I am not trying to oversimplify it.