Forgive my student loan!

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My entire college education, four years of it, cost around $10K. And I have a very good job. Maybe people should consider their budgets when choosing a university to attend.

Just sayin'.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    My entire college education, four years of it, cost around $10K. And I have a very good job. Maybe people should consider their budgets when choosing a university to attend.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, but we are middle-aged.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.
    Another nail hit on the head. Too many people are borrowing too much money to get an education in a field that doesn't make much money, and then they complain about the cost of education.

I'll take my wife for an example, so I don't offend anyone else. She went to an expensive private school to get an education degree. She knew the exact job she wanted, and the exact school she wanted to teach at. Luckily for her, she got the job. Unfortunately for her, her salary was half of what one year at college cost her.

There are too many people making similarly poor fiscal decisions for me to give any real sympathy to the student loan forgiveness idea.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Ok, I'll have more money taken out of my paycheck every week to pay off your loans if you will pay off all my medical bills that I can't afford, help me pay my rent, and help me pay all my bills since I'm a single mom. Deal?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Was no in the first thread.
    It's no in the second thread.

Pay your own bills.

Especially with the amount of my friends who used their student loans to go shopping, travel, spring breaks, alcohol, etc etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

lol

This was 10 years ago. And my daughter, because we're in a different state that's even cheaper!, could go four years for even less than that.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I expected a response like this from you. So just as I stated, you are perfectly fine with the burden of your hardship going on to anyone other than your daughter.

I was raised to never buy something you can't afford.

Its impossible to not buy things you can't afford when you live in an environment where nothing is affordable! Nobody can afford colleges these days. Nobody can afford to buy a house these days. I am guessing you are middle-aged, I don't think many of these types have the slightest clue what the young workforce has to deal with these days. High student loan debts, high mortgages, lack of jobs, etc.

Not sure what the definition of middle-aged is, but I am 42. I am well aware of the issues the young workforce are dealing with. Not going to debate the high student loan debt again. I worked my way through college. High mortgages because they bought more than they could afford. Possibly bought using an ARM.

Will definitely give yout he lack of jobs, but that isn't just a young workforce issue. Many "middle-aged" workers have that same problem.

So how does a young person who is lucky to make $40K/year out of college (if they are lucky enough to find a job) supposed to pay down on their $50K student loan debt, pay their $1200/month apartment rent, while making payments on their $20K honda civic, while saving up for their $40K down payment, so they can buy their $200K townhouse before they turn 30, because heaven forbids one day they might want to actually start a family. See its almost impossible to start from scratch these days. Most of the young people cannot get out of debt without their parents' help.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I'm not for forgiveness but I am actually for some form of state higher education. And educated society is a prosperous society.
  • MFPAddict
    Options

Just sayin'.

lol

This was 10 years ago. And my daughter, because we're in a different state that's even cheaper!, could go four years for even less than that.

But how good is their football team? And would someone feel out of place wearing their Croc boots?
  • grinch031
    Options

Just sayin'.
    Another nail hit on the head. Too many people are borrowing too much money to get an education in a field that doesn't make much money, and then they complain about the cost of education.

I'll take my wife for an example, so I don't offend anyone else. She went to an expensive private school to get an education degree. She knew the exact job she wanted, and the exact school she wanted to teach at. Luckily for her, she got the job. Unfortunately for her, her salary was half of what one year at college cost her.

There are too many people making similarly poor fiscal decisions for me to give any real sympathy to the student loan forgiveness idea.

Even state schools are all hitting the $10K/year just for tuition alone. It was $4K/year for my school a decade ago and now its $10K/year. There is no avoiding it. You either get a 4-year degree and take on massive student loan debt, or you take a job with low wages. Or if you're the 1% you start a business but that's not going to work for most.
  • MFPAddict
    Options
    So how does a young person who is lucky to make $40K/year out of college (if they are lucky enough to find a job) supposed to pay down on their $50K student loan debt, pay their $1200/month apartment rent, while making payments on their $20K honda civic, while saving up for their $40K down payment, so they can buy their $200K townhouse before they turn 30, because heaven forbids one day they might want to actually start a family. See its almost impossible to start from scratch these days. Most of the young people cannot get out of debt without their parents' help.

Perhaps they should move to a more affordable location and buy a used car.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options

I expected a response like this from you. So just as I stated, you are perfectly fine with the burden of your hardship going on to anyone other than your daughter.

Its impossible to not buy things you can't afford when you live in an environment where nothing is affordable! Nobody can afford colleges these days. Nobody can afford to buy a house these days. I am guessing you are middle-aged, I don't think many of these types have the slightest clue what the young workforce has to deal with these days. High student loan debts, high mortgages, lack of jobs, etc.

Not sure what the definition of middle-aged is, but I am 42. I am well aware of the issues the young workforce are dealing with. Not going to debate the high student loan debt again. I worked my way through college. High mortgages because they bought more than they could afford. Possibly bought using an ARM.

Will definitely give yout he lack of jobs, but that isn't just a young workforce issue. Many "middle-aged" workers have that same problem.

Find cheaper rent.
    Find a cheaper car.
    Find a cheaper house if you can't afford a 200k townhouse.

Why on earth should I help them pay off their student loan bills?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The feeling of entitlement! Wow.

I went to a public University in WI costing roughly $10,000/year (without housing, etc). My parents paid precisely zero. I did not qualify for assistance other than Unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

I took those loans, I worked full-time throughout the school year and summers. I worked year round, I went to school year round. I also worked in High School to save - concept.

Upon graduation at the age of 21, I got a job paying in the $20K range, started paying back my student loans and living "small." Within two years I tripled my income through hard work and dedication.

I bought my first house at the age of 23.

I am now 35, continue my career path, a single mom, have zero debt, zero credit cards, and a 10 year old car, and a crappy lil' house to live in.

My point?? I don't owe you *kitten* if you can't pay your own student loans.
  • grinch031
    Options

Find cheaper rent.
    Find a cheaper car.

The point is in many areas like Washington DC suburbs you can't find much cheaper living and job opportunities together. Sure you don't need a new car, but the point is a Honda Civic which is one of the most basic cars out there can break the bank nowadays.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options

I went to a public University in WI costing roughly $10,000/year (without housing, etc). My parents paid precisely zero. I did not qualify for assistance other than Unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

I took those loans, I worked full-time throughout the school year and summers. I worked year round, I went to school year round. I also worked in High School to save - concept.

Upon graduation at the age of 21, I got a job paying in the $20K range, started paying back my student loans and living "small." Within two years I tripled my income through hard work and dedication.

I am now 35, continue my career path, a single mom, have zero debt, zero credit cards, and a 10 year old car, and a crappy lil' house to live in.

And this is why I love you.
    Along with the fact that you're horny 24/7 :D
  • odusgolp
    Options

First, you get a god damn reality check, a roommate, a less expensive car and apartment, and thank you lucky STARS you have a job that pays so well.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options

Find cheaper rent.
    Find a cheaper car.

The point is in many areas like Washington DC suburbs you can't find much cheaper living and job opportunities together. Sure you don't need a new car, but the point is a Honda Civic which is one of the most basic cars out there can break the bank nowadays.

If you buy it new, yes. Buy a used car. Or find a cheaper car.

And, gasp, don't live in a big city if you can't afford it. If you must, get a roommate. Live w/in your means.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options

A bouquet of :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    Options

Then move. You're young.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    All I know is the one year I went to a state school, was really freaking expensive for a place to go drinking..