Forgive my student loan!

Options

Replies

• wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    The other factor that no one likes to touch on is the fact that higher education makes our society....
    The more educated we all are, the better world we know how to make for us and the generations we hand it off to.

A good higher education should be attainable for all of us.

Yup, Yup and Yup. It's really more than a economic or financial question!
  • zmanincredible
    zmanincredible Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    shut up
    Wow. You make a great case there, Champ.

I was just being sassy
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    The other factor that no one likes to touch on is the fact that higher education makes our society....
    The more educated we all are, the better world we know how to make for us and the generations we hand it off to.

ding ding ding

I don't understand why that is debatable.

It shouldn't be, but education seems to get demonized these days.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I normally don't give guys flowers, but since there's no blow job smiley, here....:flowerforyou:

There's a suggestions forum somewhere on here. Please.

=)
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    An English degree is worthless? Who gets to decide what is an acceptable area of knowledge to acquire? We'd be a pretty sad society if were all about "ROI". An education is for - well, an education, not just "job training".

If you can afford to look past ROI, then by all means, go ahead. But if the cost exceeds the benefit, there's something wrong.

Benefit to whom?

If a student borrows for an English degree, they agree to, and should, pay it back. It's not society's place to decide whether the study of English is valuable enough.

It's only society's place if society is paying for it. If not, get that degree (and pay for it) in whatever you wish!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Oh, the suggestion has been brought-en... or however you say that via type :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    shut up
    Wow. You make a great case there, Champ.

I was just being sassy

Sassy or not... at 6.8% interest, that is over $100,000 in student loans :bigsmile:
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    This is why I studdied my *kitten* off to get a scholarship... I have about 8k from housing/books and that's it

My husband had a scholarship as well but.. Housing was insane about the same cost as classes, and in order to recieve said scholarship he had to live on campus... (crazy) left with 40,000 in student loans and 2 degrees... He went to work...And pays them off... Shocking that we should be held responsible for our loans!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone agrees that student loan debt should be forgiven, it should just be made easier to repay.
    Someone making a $25,000 salary can not pay $1200 a month back to Sallie Mae. That's practically their entire salary after taxes.
    But I bet this person would prefer an opportunity to make $45k somewhere else, but those jobs are limited right now.

I would need a very credible example of whose student loans could potentially be $1200/month and makes $25,000/year.

shut up

::bjforyou::
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to borrow a cent. My parent's and I paid the whole bill. If there's loan forgiveness, then I need at least 25 cents on every dollar in tuition and room and board I paid.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I normally don't give guys flowers, but since there's no blow job smiley, here....:flowerforyou:

=)

I shall find it and put in my request, until it's approved ::bjforyou::
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    An English degree is worthless? Who gets to decide what is an acceptable area of knowledge to acquire? We'd be a pretty sad society if were all about "ROI". An education is for - well, an education, not just "job training".

If you can afford to look past ROI, then by all means, go ahead. But if the cost exceeds the benefit, there's something wrong.

Benefit to whom?

If a student borrows for an English degree, they agree to, and should, pay it back. It's not society's place to decide whether the study of English is valuable enough.

It's only society's place if society is paying for it. If not, get that degree (and pay for it) in whatever you wish!

Ok but even if the "state" is paying for it - if the decision about what is and isn't valuable to provide the education for is decided only in financial terms, society will fail. We'll have a great economy, sure. But an otherwise bankrupt society. Civilization <> Commerce.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    The price of gasoline goes up, and everyone hates the whole oil industry.

The subprime loan business happens, people protest Wall Street.

Colleges increase tuition, and nobody protests the schools. They ask the public to pay it instead.

SOMEONE PAY MY MORTGAGE AND FILL MY CAR UP!!! :angry:
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I expected a response like this from you. So just as I stated, you are perfectly fine with the burden of your hardship going on to anyone other than your daughter.

I was raised to never buy something you can't afford.

Its impossible to not buy things you can't afford when you live in an environment where nothing is affordable! Nobody can afford colleges these days. Nobody can afford to buy a house these days. I am guessing you are middle-aged, I don't think many of these types have the slightest clue what the young workforce has to deal with these days. High student loan debts, high mortgages, lack of jobs, etc.

Not sure what the definition of middle-aged is, but I am 42. I am well aware of the issues the young workforce are dealing with. Not going to debate the high student loan debt again. I worked my way through college. High mortgages because they bought more than they could afford. Possibly bought using an ARM.

Will definitely give yout he lack of jobs, but that isn't just a young workforce issue. Many "middle-aged" workers have that same problem.

So how does a young person who is lucky to make $40K/year out of college (if they are lucky enough to find a job) supposed to pay down on their $50K student loan debt, pay their $1200/month apartment rent, while making payments on their $20K honda civic, while saving up for their $40K down payment, so they can buy their $200K townhouse before they turn 30, because heaven forbids one day they might want to actually start a family. See its almost impossible to start from scratch these days. Most of the young people cannot get out of debt without their parents' help.
    Find cheaper rent.
    Find a cheaper car.
    Find a cheaper house if you can't afford a 200k townhouse.

Why on earth should I help them pay off their student loan bills?

Ditto.

It took me 10 years, but I managed to pay off my $30,000 in student loans (graduate school - undergrad was 4 years of scholarships) and save money for a house. I lived in a horrible apartment ($500 rent split with a roommate), with my crappy car (that did just fine to get me from point A to B), and ate cheap food. I didn't rack up credit card debt. I didn't defer my loan payments. I drove a Ford focus (floor model, no cd player, no sunroof, no remote locking, etc...). I wore clothes from Wal-mart, Target, and Kohls (not Nieman Marcus and Saks). I had a piece of crap cell phone (not an iphone). I had my college computer (not an ipad). I didn't go any vacations for 7 years. The problem isnt that our kids are incurring debt (to some degree). The problem is we don't teach our kids how to budget and pay-off the necessary debt. We teach our kids they need a $20,000 car and a $200,000 home, when a $2000 car and a $500/month rent is plenty.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

ding ding ding

I don't understand why that is debatable.

It shouldn't be, but education seems to get demonized these days.

Education is attainable....if you work hard enough for it and make the right choices in life
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

You can get a degree in anything you want. Employers get to decide if it is worth anything.

If you spend 100k to get a degree so you can land a job starting at 30k per year you may be educated but you are not very intelligent :).
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

=)

I shall find it and put in my request, until it's approved ::bjforyou::

and here i thought i was special:cry:
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    [[/quote]

So how does a young person who is lucky to make $40K/year out of college (if they are lucky enough to find a job) supposed to pay down on their $50K student loan debt, pay their $1200/month apartment rent, while making payments on their $20K honda civic, while saving up for their $40K down payment, so they can buy their $200K townhouse before they turn 30, because heaven forbids one day they might want to actually start a family. See its almost impossible to start from scratch these days. Most of the young people cannot get out of debt without their parents' help.
    [/quote]

Interesting.

I make less than 40k, so does my husband. We have just about the same in student loan debt, pay more for the mortgage on our home, and own both our cars.

Solution?

We have used cars that we paid for with cash. We bought a home that, while it needs work, fits in our budget, and we make smart choices.

He isn't even done getting his degree and it has already cost him 22k a year.

I have two degrees and will be paying them off til I'm 35.

All comes down to you make choices that suit your situation. If I can't afford a brand new car and car payment, I sure as hell aint paying off someone else's school loan.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Woops
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hoping this helps get rid of the urine-soaked, entitled hippie occupier scent in here.

pine-tree-car-air-freshener.gif