How to boost metabolism?

Options
123457»

Replies

• confusionnohime
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for ways to boost my metabolism as well. This info is really helpful. :)
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Hmmm, so if you exercise at night you don't get a metabolism boost? :huh:

Arginine is a nonessential amino acid, your body produces tons of it, and it's in all sources of protein. Watermelon isn't special.

Eating protein does NOT boost metabolism, TEF doesn't work that way.

Cold water being warmed is a negligible calorie burn, maybe 1 calorie a day extra.

Most of this seems to be mythical.

Assuming TDEE=BMR+NEAT+EAT+DIT+EPOC

If by metabolism you mean BMR, exercise does not increase that, regardless of the time of day.

Obviously TEF doesn't boost BMR, either. It boosts DIT and therefore TDEE, which is the number that actually matters when losing or gaining weight. BMR doesn't matter by itself. I don't know why people place so much importance on it.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump, amazing info
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks, bump
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pudds123
    pudds123 Posts: 3
    Options
    bump
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Although I will admit I'm a little skeptical with some of the information. Your a scientist though so I trust your research a little more x
  • Kay2405
    Kay2405 Posts: 54
    Options
    Great info, thanks for that :)
  • Parker4124
    Parker4124 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Really informative and I am glad I already do most of those things :)
    and will change the other things too!
    thanks for sharing ! :)
  • naveej
    naveej Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thanks for taking time and putting it up all here in a simple language that actually makes sense
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bump! I think I do over 50% of these already! :-D
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good info here. Not sure I can handle doing the chile peppers though :-)

you can buy capsaicin capsules, capsaicin is the "hot part" of the chile. I take them in the morning before my workout.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, so if you exercise at night you don't get a metabolism boost? :huh:

Arginine is a nonessential amino acid, your body produces tons of it, and it's in all sources of protein. Watermelon isn't special.

Eating protein does NOT boost metabolism, TEF doesn't work that way.

Cold water being warmed is a negligible calorie burn, maybe 1 calorie a day extra.

Most of this seems to be mythical.

Assuming TDEE=BMR+NEAT+EAT+DIT+EPOC

If by metabolism you mean BMR, exercise does not increase that, regardless of the time of day.

Obviously TEF doesn't boost BMR, either. It boosts DIT and therefore TDEE, which is the number that actually matters when losing or gaining weight. BMR doesn't matter by itself. I don't know why people place so much importance on it.
    None of it would affect numbers enough to have any noticeable effect. BMR isn't a static number, neither is TDEE, best you can hope for is an average. Even if you increased protein and decreased carbs, and gave yourself say, an extra 20 calories burned for the day (which is a very generous estimate, to be honest,) if you had to do some extra paperwork at your job and spent an extra 20 minutes sitting behind a desk, now you've lost that 20 calorie "bonus." Pay attention to the overall big picture, because the small things ultimately don't matter. There is no way you can manipulate TEF to really have any kind of realistic impact on weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I've been researching different ways of increasing my metabolism so that my net calories are reduced. It definitely matters what you eat and drink. A calorie is not just a calorie! I'm a scientist by profession (although not in anything relevant to weight loss), so I've looked for info that is well justified by scientific experiment.

Here is what I've found. I hope that all of you will add to this list and/or ask good questions that lets us zero in on a great set of techniques for increasing our metabolic rate. For brevity, I've left out sources. If anything is unclear, please ask! Good luck to you!
    -DJA

Boosting metabolism
    ==========
    Exercise in morning increases metabolism for hours
    Found no peer reviewed research to support it, but did find that morning exercise did INCREASE cortisol response in the morning more than any other time of the day.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/86/6/2881.abstract?sid=5b382091-6ff3-42c6-ac95-f4b0f718da7a
    Eat small meals every 3 to 4 hours keeps metabolism cranking so you burn more calories over the course of a day.
    Still haven't found scientific study to support this.
    Fiber can rev your fat burn by as much as 30 percent. Studies find that those who eat the most fiber gain the least weight over time. Aim for about 25 g a day—the amount in about three servings each of fruits and vegetables.
    Found no study yet to support fiber "revs" fat burn by up to 30%. And it's commonly known that eating more fiber fills people up more so correlation with less weight gain is expected.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bassanne
    bassanne Posts: 56
    Options
    bump
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How do I bump up my metabolism? Have hyperthyroidism.

Being hungry all the time really is NOT fun.

Just deal with and enjoy having a 'normal' metabolism peoples.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Moving in general does, the simple act of walking to and from work for example (based on an hour or so) could doble your metabolic rate for hours at a time. Also I'm a fan of the cheat days myself, I'll often find myself losing next to no weight all week & have a cheat day every Friday (where I will go about 500 - 1,000 calories over) and then come Sunday/Monday I tend to find that I have shifted a few lbs.

Just try not to sit, I think thats the general idea, that way you'll be above your BMR
  • ColeBeringer
    ColeBeringer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bump very interesting .thank you