Running with my dogs... Any advice??

Options
2»

Replies

• mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    in addition to grimm's response: start off slow both for you and them, running on pavement is very different from running on the treadmill (harder!) so you may not be able to do the full three mile either. My dog needs to be re-conditioned every spring (I'm working on the running part, I usually bike with him running next to me) with a shorter 1 mile run the first day, 1.5 the next ect... until I build him up. He can go about 5 miles (we take a rest & potty break half way in) once I've got him conditioned for it, and he LOVES it!

With the bike.... do you use a lead or have your dog off leash? We are getting bikes and my husband would love to have our dog go with him. Our niece gave us this thing that attaches to the bike and has a retractable lead in it. I just worry our dog will pull him over that way.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Beagles and they are not going to work out with anyone :) They either run so fast they choke on their collars and gag or they will lay down in the middle of the trail and take a nap. We have been known to carry one home because he was too tired to walk. This is been trying off and on for 10 yrs. Taking both and then trying one at a time. I have given up on taking my dog with me. Hope you have better luck.

Have you tried any of Cesar Milan's (Dog Whisperer) techniques? My dog is half beagle and she used to choke herself on the collar all the time. Tried slack leash training for 4 months and it did nothing. But I started using his techniques and after a few weeks she was great on a leash! I noticed a huge difference in just one walk really. I would highly recommend it. :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Beagles and they are not going to work out with anyone :) They either run so fast they choke on their collars and gag or they will lay down in the middle of the trail and take a nap. We have been known to carry one home because he was too tired to walk. This is been trying off and on for 10 yrs. Taking both and then trying one at a time. I have given up on taking my dog with me. Hope you have better luck.

Have you tried any of Cesar Milan's (Dog Whisperer) techniques? My dog is half beagle and she used to choke herself on the collar all the time. Tried slack leash training for 4 months and it did nothing. But I started using his techniques and after a few weeks she was great on a leash! I noticed a huge difference in just one walk really. I would highly recommend it. :)

What is the technique - do you have a link. My Weim is so strong and pulls to the point of coughing/chocking. Using a harness now which distributes the weight a little better, but he pulls like mad still.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well I just googled Cesar Milan and his website comes up. There are a TON of articles there. It helps to have seen the show (used to watch it ALL the time when I had TV) because you can see what he's talking about with his techniques. His books are sold at bookstores and he also has some DVDs but I haven't purchased those.

It's sort of hard to describe the technique, but it starts before you even leave. Here are some pointers:

-DON'T let your dog know you're about to go on a walk--no excitment.
    -DO wait for your dog to be sitting calmly before you attach the lead.
    -DON'T let your dog walk out the door first; he should wait for your 'ok', and he should be calm before you allow him outside.
    -Keep your leash short, but not tense. It should be just long enough to keep your pup right next to you without him choking, and so that when you give a quick tug he can feel it.
    -No choke collars! :) The collar should be pulled up right below the jaw to guide the dog's head.
    -When you are out the door-GO! No pausing, no attention to your dog. You are the alpha and you are walking with your pack. This is a primal behavior and if you exert confidence (shoulders back, stand up straight, walk with purpose) your dog will walk with you.
    -If your dog is stopping/starting, don't stop with it. You tell it when it's allowed to sniff, pee, stop, go.

The whole point is to keep your dog calm and submissive while you are calm and dominant. :)
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump
    i hope ot get a dog this year and that next year he will be able to start running with me a bit