Calorie intake question (prob asked 1 million times)

Options

Replies

• Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 50 pounds and was eating between 1600-1800 calories and the weight loss is really slow, I also work
    out at least 5 days a week and rarely eat back exercise calories. Suggestions?
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I want to lose 50 pounds and was eating between 1600-1800 calories and the weight loss is really slow, I also work

Multiply your weight by 10-12, take away 15% from that number. If you're eating at least that many calories, reduce them by 10%.

And this gives me the amount i should be eating? By doing this it gives me 1760 calories according to what you suggested?
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

Multiply your weight by 10-12, take away 15% from that number. If you're eating at least that many calories, reduce them by 10%.

And this gives me the amount i should be eating? By doing this it gives me 1760 calories according to what you suggested?

Lets start fresh, multiply your weight by 10-12 calories, and take away 15% what is that number?

Ok I am using the lowest number 10 = 2300 - 15% = 345
  • AndreaCimmino
    AndreaCimmino Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Going under 1200 can trigger a starvation mode for your body giving you an adverse effect. Eat the calories you earned with working out and stay healthy. It will come off, be patient and kind to your body
    xoxox
    Andrea

I do a lot of cardio. I keep it at 1200 on non workout days and days I workout I eat my extra earned to keep it burning and I am losing fine :)

GOOD LUCK
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

Lets start fresh, multiply your weight by 10-12 calories, and take away 15% what is that number?

According to the formula you should be eating about 2,000 calories a day.
    you originally said you're eating about "1600-1800" Your deficit is about 700 calories from maintenance. This is a 30% deficit. Which is too big. I would shoot for 2,000 calories a day which is a 15% deficit, your deficit is double that. 15% is the right number to prevent the entire metbaolic decline.

I would eat at this level for 3 weeks, shoot for 1.5lbs a week. If you lose more than this, up your calories, if you lose less then this reduce calories by 10%. Keep in mind i said 2-3 weeks. Don't go off a weekly weigh in, if you lost 4.5lbs in 3 weeks, you're good, if you didn't lose that, if you loss less reduce calories by 10% If still not losing that... shoot for another 10% in another 3 weeks. This is a pretty good guy. Don't worry so much about the 1.5lbs, that's for average people, follow this guide.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal."

Ok and what about eating back exercise calories? I normally don't eat them back? So I will set my calories to 2000 starting
    it tomorrow and do it for 3 weeks.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

you originally said you're eating about "1600-1800" Your deficit is about 700 calories from maintenance. This is a 30% deficit. Which is too big. I would shoot for 2,000 calories a day which is a 15% deficit, your deficit is double that. 15% is the right number to prevent the entire metbaolic decline.

I would eat at this level for 3 weeks, shoot for 1.5lbs a week. If you lose more than this, up your calories, if you lose less then this reduce calories by 10%. Keep in mind i said 2-3 weeks. Don't go off a weekly weigh in, if you lost 4.5lbs in 3 weeks, you're good, if you didn't lose that, if you loss less reduce calories by 10% If still not losing that... shoot for another 10% in another 3 weeks. This is a pretty good guy. Don't worry so much about the 1.5lbs, that's for average people, follow this guide.

Ok and what about eating back exercise calories? I normally don't eat them back? So I will set my calories to 2000 starting

In this case no, you don't eat them back, the calories are built in to this method.

According to MFP if I set my calories at 2000 a day it says my deficit is only 120 calories which isn't anything??
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

In this case no, you don't eat them back, the calories are built in to this method.

According to MFP if I set my calories at 2000 a day it says my deficit is only 120 calories which isn't anything??

The point of this method is you adjust according to your results. NO calculator, no formula can tell you how much to eat to get the results you need. The method i showed you, you will adjust according to the results you get. You will find what's right for you.

Ok will give it a try, just wasn't sure. SO will my deficit be more then 120 calories or No? Have you yourself used this method and if so did it work? Thanks for the help :)
  • prgamble
    prgamble Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm doing the diet ViSalus and it says (along with myfitnesspal) to intake 1200 cal. I never eat 1200 calories when I'm dieting. If I'm drinking 2 shakes a day when the heck am I supposed to consume all these calories?? I don't eat after 6pm and I am up at 5am.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I'm doing the diet ViSalus and it says (along with myfitnesspal) to intake 1200 cal. I never eat 1200 calories when I'm dieting. If I'm drinking 2 shakes a day when the heck am I supposed to consume all these calories?? I don't eat after 6pm and I am up at 5am.

Body by Vi is exspensive for me, i was thinking about trying it but could not afford it, I do shakes as well using GNC
    or Jillian Michaels protein, serves the same purpose
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Nope! Go with 1200. You SHOULD not eat less than 1200, which means you shouldn't lose more than a pound and a half per week.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Ok will give it a try, just wasn't sure. SO will my deficit be more then 120 calories or No? Have you yourself used this method and if so did it work? Thanks for the help :)

I know you're questioning the validity of this method that's fine and a smart thing. I am majoring in biochemistry, also NASM(Natioal Academy Of Sports Medicine CPT). I was just looking for how to maximize my weight loss, i want to get really really lean. Like 6% bodyfat. I done my research on this subject, the hardest bodyfat is the really low ones, under 10%. I was wondering how i can get there. All of the people i asked who are very lean, all of the research I done points to this. Moderate deficit, use food to work for you, not against you. People are just too much in to quick weight loss. I wrote a topic about this recently. Got a ton of his, i have recieved a lot of emails from people who did this and it worked for them. When i developed this method, i was sick, i couldn't eat good healthy food, i just ate junk food. I watched it, so i didn't gain any weight, I didn't. So tomorrow will be week one out of the 3 week assessment. I have lost over 100lbs though, I have learned a lot through that experience as well.

The ratios i also recommend are 50% protein, 25% carbs and fats.

Thanks, can I add you as a friend? Losing weight is really hard even for only 50 pounds :(
  • skconrad
    skconrad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The "starvation mode" that MFP warns you about when you go under 1200 calories has happened to me twice now. You work out hard all week, stay just under your 1200 calorie diet each day and when I went to weigh in actually gained .8 pounds! Your body goes into a saving mode and won't let go of the weight. Seems weird, but have done it twice. 1200 is ok if you are not working out, but I had to up my daily to 1400 because I work out at least 5 times a week. Have been losing 1.6 to 2.5 pounds a week for last 3 weeks. Total loss so far is 64 pounds and got quite a few to go.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi!

It's less about how much you eat and more about what you eat.

I'm a personal trainer, check out my blog for some free info :-)

Pm me with questions :-)
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    The "starvation mode" that MFP warns you about when you go under 1200 calories has happened to me twice now. You work out hard all week, stay just under your 1200 calorie diet each day and when I went to weigh in actually gained .8 pounds! Your body goes into a saving mode and won't let go of the weight. Seems weird, but have done it twice. 1200 is ok if you are not working out, but I had to up my daily to 1400 because I work out at least 5 times a week. Have been losing 1.6 to 2.5 pounds a week for last 3 weeks. Total loss so far is 64 pounds and got quite a few to go.

I work out at least 5 times a week and just can't seem to eat exercise calories, not sure how I will manage eating 2000 calories
    a day, just seems like alot, when you don't track it doesn't seem like much but when you do track it seems like a ton to eat Lol.

There's no way i can eat 250 grams of protein, at least I don't think so lol
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Hi!

Wellfitlife.me

And I know I don't eat "clean" , But I am not going to deprive myself of something if i want it, thats why I eat things i want in moderation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The point of this method is you adjust according to your results. NO calculator, no formula can tell you how much to eat to get the results you need. The method i showed you, you will adjust according to the results you get. You will find what's right for you.

Ignore MFP if you are using this method - one includes exercise, the other does not (MFP is not 'accounting' for your exercise, so you actual deficit will be more).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I work out at least 5 times a week and just can't seem to eat exercise calories, not sure how I will manage eating 2000 calories
    a day, just seems like alot, when you don't track it doesn't seem like much but when you do track it seems like a ton to eat Lol.

There's no way i can eat 250 grams of protein, at least I don't think so lol

You should not be eating 250g of protein - its 1g per lb of lean body mass.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

There is no reason to stop eating after a certain time (well, unless you are asleep!).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

Wellfitlife.me

And I know I don't eat "clean" , But I am not going to deprive myself of something if i want it, thats why I eat things i want in moderation.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I like to use the 80/20 rule (which you can use if you are eating enough calories a day). Basically, make sure 80% is 'clean' food (but do not get to caught up in the definition of 'clean') and 20% are anything you like, as long as you stay within your calorie goal and you macros.