Calorie intake question (prob asked 1 million times)

Options

Replies

• Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The "starvation mode" that MFP warns you about when you go under 1200 calories has happened to me twice now. You work out hard all week, stay just under your 1200 calorie diet each day and when I went to weigh in actually gained .8 pounds! Your body goes into a saving mode and won't let go of the weight. Seems weird, but have done it twice. 1200 is ok if you are not working out, but I had to up my daily to 1400 because I work out at least 5 times a week. Have been losing 1.6 to 2.5 pounds a week for last 3 weeks. Total loss so far is 64 pounds and got quite a few to go.

I work out at least 5 times a week and just can't seem to eat exercise calories, not sure how I will manage eating 2000 calories
    a day, just seems like alot, when you don't track it doesn't seem like much but when you do track it seems like a ton to eat Lol.

There's no way i can eat 250 grams of protein, at least I don't think so lol

You should not be eating 250g of protein - its 1g per lb of lean body mass.

WHat percent should I be eating on MFP for Protein?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 50 pounds and was eating between 1600-1800 calories and the weight loss is really slow, I also work
    out at least 5 days a week and rarely eat back exercise calories. Suggestions?

Multiply your weight by 10-12, take away 15% from that number. If you're eating at least that many calories, reduce them by 10%.

And this gives me the amount i should be eating? By doing this it gives me 1760 calories according to what you suggested?

Lets start fresh, multiply your weight by 10-12 calories, and take away 15% what is that number?

Sigh, why would you subtract 15% from 10cals/lb when usually that is already a starting point for fat loss? maintenance estimation is probably along the lines of 14-16 cals/lb if you're following lyle's quick estimations

And you don't think 250g of protein (50% pro on a 2k diet) is excessive?
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You should reach your goal. But, here is another reference for you - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    The link discusses the need and rationale around eating more to lose weight. It provides some of the background already discussed on this thread.

Here's to looking fabulous now and even better by Memorial Day!
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi!

It's less about how much you eat and more about what you eat.

I'm a personal trainer, check out my blog for some free info :-)

Wellfitlife.me

Pm me with questions :-)

And I know I don't eat "clean" , But I am not going to deprive myself of something if i want it, thats why I eat things i want in moderation.

Like 250 grams of protein? ;-)

By the way, the most your body can process and use is 1.7 grams per KG of body weight per day, according to te American College of Sports Medicine, and that's comoetituve weight lifters.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The "starvation mode" that MFP warns you about when you go under 1200 calories has happened to me twice now. You work out hard all week, stay just under your 1200 calorie diet each day and when I went to weigh in actually gained .8 pounds! Your body goes into a saving mode and won't let go of the weight. Seems weird, but have done it twice. 1200 is ok if you are not working out, but I had to up my daily to 1400 because I work out at least 5 times a week. Have been losing 1.6 to 2.5 pounds a week for last 3 weeks. Total loss so far is 64 pounds and got quite a few to go.

I work out at least 5 times a week and just can't seem to eat exercise calories, not sure how I will manage eating 2000 calories
    a day, just seems like alot, when you don't track it doesn't seem like much but when you do track it seems like a ton to eat Lol.

im nasm cert. as well, what i tell my clients is when you're now having to up your calories from an amount your not use to start small. reason being is because (even from my own experience when i had to gain weight back) if you just make the jump you can feel really nauseous && if you do end up getting sick well then that to me defeats the purpose. i had my clients up by 250 the first week then add the next 250 so on (depending upon how much you're needing to add back to hit that 2000) once you start feeding your body more, you'll actually get hungry && hitting the 2000 will become less hard. i went from netting 400 to know almost 2100 per day, && the first week was rough, but now i cant imagine eating less then say 1900 just takes some time to get use too :]
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Agreed unless you are going for < 10% body fat like PU_239 but I have seen the 1g per lb of LBM recommendation for the average person repeatedly

PU_239 has a very simple formula for you to use and follow so that you can experiment to find out what specifically what works for you. He is correct that you have to experiment and find what works right for you no matter whose calculations you use. And you will have to re-calculate over time. Even MFP re-calculates after every 10 lbs lost.

I compared his method with the fat2fit radio method and his method was 102 calories higher when I used my own information to perform the calculations. I used "10" in his calculations.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Wellfitlife.me

And I know I don't eat "clean" , But I am not going to deprive myself of something if i want it, thats why I eat things i want in moderation.

By the way, the most your body can process and use is 1.7 grams per KG of body weight per day, according to te American College of Sports Medicine, and that's comoetituve weight lifters.

Nonsense. You obviously don't know anything about amino acid oxidation where some is burned off for energy, and some is converted into glucose and ketones.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 50 pounds and was eating between 1600-1800 calories and the weight loss is really slow, I also work

Multiply your weight by 10-12, take away 15% from that number. If you're eating at least that many calories, reduce them by 10%.

And this gives me the amount i should be eating? By doing this it gives me 1760 calories according to what you suggested?

Lets start fresh, multiply your weight by 10-12 calories, and take away 15% what is that number?

Sigh, why would you subtract 15% from 10cals/lb when usually that is already a starting point for fat loss? maintenance estimation is probably along the lines of 14-16 cals/lb if you're following lyle's quick estimations

The range is 10-20cal/lbs. and yes the protien might be slightly excessive, And these numbers work, i compared it to many other calculators, my bodybugg, etc... those numbers work pretty well.

Here is an except from my blog post.

Diet-How many calories to eat?

This is something that has to be found through trial and error. We are all familiar with calculators and what not to determine our AMR… but there are more simple formulas. According to my bodybugg I burn about 2,900 – 3,000 calories on my rest days.

Method 1
    Sedentary 10-11
    Lightly active 11-12
    Moderately active 12-13
    Very active 14-15
    Extremely active 18-19

Multiply your current weight by your above activity level and that will be your maintenance. As of this writing I weigh about 297. I classify myself as lightly active; I just go to the gym about 5 days a week for about an hour and school, that’s it. 297 * 11 = 3267. This is about right on my rest days. I do burn more than this on exercise days about 500-700 calories. In a week this is pretty close.

Method 2

This is a pretty good one too, LBM = Lean body mass. You need to know your bodyfat % to find your LBM. Lets say you weigh 200lbs with 30% of fat. That is 200 * .30 = 60lbs of fat. Subtract this from your total weight and that will give you your LBM 200-60 = 140lbs of LBM. The formula is

Multiplication factor
    Extremely active 1
    Very active .7
    Moderately active .4
    Non active .2

BM = LBM * 10

BM * Multiplication factor + BM = Maintenance calories

For me this (2100 * .4 + 2100) = 2940 which rounds up to 3000 calories. Which is spot on compared to my bodybugg.

Method 3

A simple method is to just multiply your weight from a number 10-14 based on your activity level. I am on the slower side of thinks in terms of metabolism and activity level so I’d pick 10. 297lbs * 10 = 2970 calories for maintenance which is also pretty damn close.

The poster stated that she works out 5 x a week so should't she at least be on a factor of 13 and not 10?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Agreed unless you are going for < 10% body fat like PU_239 but I have seen the 1g per lb of LBM recommendation for the average person repeatedly

PU_239 has a very simple formula for you to use and follow so that you can experiment to find out what specifically what works for you. He is correct that you have to experiment and find what works right for you no matter whose calculations you use. And you will have to re-calculate over time. Even MFP re-calculates after every 10 lbs lost.

I compared his method with the fat2fit radio method and his method was 102 calories higher when I used my own information to perform the calculations. I used "10" in his calculations.

The poster is female so I hope she in not going for less than 10% BF.
  • Acg67
    Options

The range is 10-20cal/lbs. and yes the protien might be slightly excessive, And these numbers work, i compared it to many other calculators, my bodybugg, etc... those numbers work pretty well.

This is something that has to be found through trial and error. We are all familiar with calculators and what not to determine our AMR… but there are more simple formulas. According to my bodybugg I burn about 2,900 – 3,000 calories on my rest days.

Method 1
    Sedentary 10-11
    Lightly active 11-12
    Moderately active 12-13
    Very active 14-15
    Extremely active 18-19

Multiply your current weight by your above activity level and that will be your maintenance. As of this writing I weigh about 297. I classify myself as lightly active; I just go to the gym about 5 days a week for about an hour and school, that’s it. 297 * 11 = 3267. This is about right on my rest days. I do burn more than this on exercise days about 500-700 calories. In a week this is pretty close.

Method 2

This is a pretty good one too, LBM = Lean body mass. You need to know your bodyfat % to find your LBM. Lets say you weigh 200lbs with 30% of fat. That is 200 * .30 = 60lbs of fat. Subtract this from your total weight and that will give you your LBM 200-60 = 140lbs of LBM. The formula is

Multiplication factor
    Extremely active 1
    Very active .7
    Moderately active .4
    Non active .2

BM = LBM * 10

For me this (2100 * .4 + 2100) = 2940 which rounds up to 3000 calories. Which is spot on compared to my bodybugg.

Method 3

A simple method is to just multiply your weight from a number 10-14 based on your activity level. I am on the slower side of thinks in terms of metabolism and activity level so I’d pick 10. 297lbs * 10 = 2970 calories for maintenance which is also pretty damn close.

Again regardless of if you're sedentary or not, multiplying your bw x 10-12 will in the majority of cases put you in a deficit, and in some cases will put you below your BMR. So taking off an additional 15% of that is doing exactly what you said you wish to avoid and be in a deficit greater then 20%
  • xpedrosa
    xpedrosa Posts: 2
    Options
    This website recommend 1200 calories a day but its not very accurate. Everybody has different variables to take into account when calculating your own calorie intake.
    I recommend you to use a calorie calculator, here's an example http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I am following this guidelines and I lost 3 Lb a week and a half. I only have a few Lbs to loose, so that is a lot for me.
    It is important you don't eat less calories than recommended or you end up loosing muscle instead of fat.
    Also, up the recommended protein intake too! Make every calorie count by choosing what you eat wisely, more lean protein, more veggies and no sugar.
    Lifting weights and building muscle is also going to help you burn more fat. Muscle burns fat 24/7, so if you go to the gym use that time to build more muscle and do less cardio. Cardio burns calories during the workout only, giving you maybe 100 or 200 extra calories that you can eat a day.
    And please don't focus so much in how many Lbs a week you want to loose, if you are eating right and exercising like you say, the Lbs will come off!
  • skydivelife
    Options
    Hi!

Wellfitlife.me

Nonsense. You obviously don't know anything about amino acid oxidation where some is burned off for energy, and some is converted into glucose and ketones.

Really? Lol. You're silly. Take it up with the American College of Sports Medicine, I'm just regurgitating the collaborative research of PH.ds in exercise physiology.
  • BrionyTallis
    Options

Method 1
    Sedentary 10-11
    Lightly active 11-12
    Moderately active 12-13
    Very active 14-15
    Extremely active 18-19

Method 2

Multiplication factor
    Extremely active 1
    Very active .7
    Moderately active .4
    Non active .2

BM = LBM * 10

Method 3

Again regardless of if you're sedentary or not, multiplying your bw x 10-12 will in the majority of cases put you in a deficit, and in some cases will put you below your BMR. So taking off an additional 15% of that is doing exactly what you said you wish to avoid and be in a deficit greater then 20%

In fact my calculations put me at a deficit of 24% using PU_239s method.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Hi!

Wellfitlife.me

Really? Lol. You're silly. Take it up with the American College of Sports Medicine, I'm just regurgitating the collaborative research of PH.ds in exercise physiology.

Sigh. Ok man. I bet the American College of Sports Medicine also said that if you eat 1,000 calories of table sugar (like in your other thread) that you'll get fat. Right?
  • skittles8810
    Options
    think of it this way 3500 calories = 1 lb.. take out 3500 cals in a week, about 500 cals a day, and you will lose a pound a week, to double that, you can exercise along with ur diet!
  • Acg67
    Options
    I kind of agree with you, I might be a special exception. Even if the calculations are incorrect, the adjustment will correct that, up or down by 10% based on results.

As i told i weigh about 297, multiplied by 10 = 2970 (10 for sedentary) this is my bodybugg results. for the past week. I been sick so earlier this week i didn't workout, the higher numbers up to 4k sometimes, on workout days.
    vn2tmg.jpg

You're putting a little too much faith in your bodybugg, I think the stated MOE is 10-15%, it may be slightly higher. A better way would prob recommend 10-12 cals as a starting point for weight loss and then adjust as needed, don't add in a 15% deficit on top of it
  • skydivelife
    Options
    Hi!

Wellfitlife.me

Sigh. Ok man. I bet the American College of Sports Medicine also said that if you eat 1,000 calories of table sugar (like in your other thread) that you'll get fat. Right?

Nope, but give it a try, If you dont die, your triglycerides, insulin receptors, and pancreas will g NUTS, your IGF, growth hormone and testosterone will tank, and you will get fat while your muscles get tiny. It's easy to give fitness advice...until your fitness advice doesn't work. I've been with clients who have swung the pendulum from 2200 to 2500 to 800 to 1200 calories and lost no weight. I have been with them across the board through every style of eating you can imagine and finally had to recognize that most people just do something until, hopefully, it works....and sometimes it does...OR you can look at the science
  • BrionyTallis
    Options

The poster is female so I hope she in not going for less than 10% BF.

I thought that I saw a post by PU_239 that said he was working on less than <10% BF but can't seem to find it now and thought maybe that was why he recommended that amount of protein. At any rate, I have no idea what the posters intentions are just making a comment.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Hi!

Wellfitlife.me

Nope, but give it a try, If you dont die, your triglycerides, insulin receptors, and pancreas will g NUTS, your IGF, growth hormone and testosterone will tank, and you will get fat while your muscles get tiny. It's easy to give fitness advice...until your fitness advice doesn't work. I've been with clients who have swung the pendulum from 2200 to 2500 to 800 to 1200 calories and lost no weight. I have been with them across the board through every style of eating you can imagine and finally had to recognize that most people just do something until, hopefully, it works....and sometimes it does...OR you can look at the science

That wasn't your argument. You said "food type does matter", and then you said "i guarantee you if you eat 1,000 calories of table sugar you will get fat"...

THAT is what I was commenting on. Not whether or not you'd end up dying. Not whether or not your organs would eventually shut down. You'd also lose muscle AND fat.

I really suggest you do some reading. You might want to start here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html
  • BrionyTallis
    Options
    In fact my calculations put me at a deficit of 24% using PU_239s method.

how do you know what your maintenance calories is, if none of these are 100% correct?

To which calculations do you refer? I am only referring to the first calculation you posted. If I have offend you in some way and you would like me to use the others Method 1, Method 2, or Method 3 I would be happy to do so and post the results.