I feel like a balloon :-(

Hanni
Hanni Posts: 158 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
HI All

for the past week or so I have been feeling so bloated. I dont know why or how.
My tummy is all blown up and sore. My period is late as well. Am I eating something wrong?:frown:
I dont want to be like this anymore. I have stuck to my calories all the time and instead of losing, I put on 2 lbs! :grumble:

Whats wrong with me?!

Replies

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    If you go up in weight a little that's okay because you're gaining muscle. Though the missed period could be a harmone imbalance. Should talk to the doctor about it. It could be just a lot of water weight.
  • Hanni
    I hope you are right about the water weight. Not sure about the gaining muscle because since i felt so bloated, I didnt feel like working out at all :ohwell:
  • Falcon
    well there is one other thing that does come to mind, do you think there's a possibility that you might be or could be?
  • Hanni
    I wish I was. My partner and I recently decided to try but 2 tests 2 weeks ago and 1 test on Monday were negative. :frown:
    I have an appointment with the doc tomorrow to discuss. But do you think that would be the reason for me feeling so bloated as well?
  • Falcon
    anythings possible and sometimes it doesn't show positive right away. It has crossed my mind. Is there any other symptoms? Sore breasts? headaches? lower back pain?

Sometimes stress can cause you to miss a period. When was your last period? if you don't mind me asking?
  • Hanni
    My lower back is sore every now and then yes but none of the rest.

My period was funny actually. I had it on the 11th of May, then again for 3 days on 18th - 20th May...
    So it should have been here either last week or this week. But nothing. Usually I have a few days before my period tummy cramps. But they havent happened yet either... Dont mind you asking at all, I want advise afterall :-)
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Hi there,

I have actually had the symptomes you're discusing adn thought I was pregnant too!

I had serious bloating that wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I felt like my stomach was all stretched out.

I eventually found out that I'm lactose intolerant. It felt like it came out of nowhere but then I realized, I was always feeling sick after I ate dairy, just not as bad.

The easiest way to test is just to go without dairy (we're talking, no chocolate, milk, cheese, butter, etc.) for at least 3 days and see how you feel. If you feel fine but want to make sure. Drink a glass of milk. Sometimes symptoms can take more than 6 hours to show so if you get really bloated the day you do the milk test... then my friend, you probably are.

The other way to test is to ask your doctor. My doctor told me I'd have to breath into a tube for 3 hours! he suggested I just try to test myself.

Since I found this out, though incredibly disappointed, my life is totally different. I actually lost weight because the foods I crave like hot cocoa, cereal, creamy pasta, are all off limits. I feel a lot better now.

Let me know if you ever figure it out! Good luck!
  • jenniferscheller
    jenniferscheller Posts: 48 Member
    Those symptoms along with the light periods happened to me also. One week later I found out i was having twins. ask for a blood test since home tests can often give false negatives.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Hi there,

I have actually had the symptomes you're discusing adn thought I was pregnant too!

I had serious bloating that wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I felt like my stomach was all stretched out.

I eventually found out that I'm lactose intolerant. It felt like it came out of nowhere but then I realized, I was always feeling sick after I ate dairy, just not as bad.

The easiest way to test is just to go without dairy (we're talking, no chocolate, milk, cheese, butter, etc.) for at least 3 days and see how you feel. If you feel fine but want to make sure. Drink a glass of milk. Sometimes symptoms can take more than 6 hours to show so if you get really bloated the day you do the milk test... then my friend, you probably are.

The other way to test is to ask your doctor. My doctor told me I'd have to breath into a tube for 3 hours! he suggested I just try to test myself.

Since I found this out, though incredibly disappointed, my life is totally different. I actually lost weight because the foods I crave like hot cocoa, cereal, creamy pasta, are all off limits. I feel a lot better now.

My naturopath told me the same thing about the food allergies.............and usually it is the foods we crave that we are allergic too.
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Hi there,

My naturopath told me the same thing about the food allergies.............and usually it is the foods we crave that we are allergic too.

Isn't that so sad!!! Ahhh!
  • Hanni
    Those symptoms along with the light periods happened to me also. One week later I found out i was having twins. ask for a blood test since home tests can often give false negatives.

Really?! OK I will ask them to do a blood test tomorrow then. Thank you for that advise. :smile:
  • Hanni
    Hi there,

Isn't that so sad!!! Ahhh!

Isnt that just mean! :frown:
    I dont eat alot of dairy products. The odd yogurt for breakfast if I need to add some calories to my day but dont drink milk, also dont eat milk chocolate... :ohwell:
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    I feel that way when I am eating a lot of carbs, if you switch to lean meats and low carb veggies and eggs for 2 days, I bet you will feel the difference.
  • Hanni
    I feel that way when I am eating a lot of carbs, if you switch to lean meats and low carb veggies and eggs for 2 days, I bet you will feel the difference.

I dont eat alot of bread, or pasta. I reduced that to help aid my weightloss. I am vegetarian so I wont eat meat. Maybe it is the vegetarian products I eat? But they are low in everything apart from fat... :ohwell:
  • firepixie
    firepixie Posts: 65
    hi there,

I agree with the ladies that mentioned food allergies. I have crohn's disease, but when I switch to vegan, all of my symptoms went away. I also have a friend with 2 children who never had an at home pregnancy test say positive, so that is possible. As for the high fat vegetarian products, I like yves jumbo veggie dogs and the "turkey" slices, but I think your best bet would be to get a couple of good vegan cook book, to help cut down on all the fat, salt and general processiness of premade foods.

hope you figure it out!
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    If your bloating is very SUDDEN, please discuss that with your doctor as soon as you see him. If it happens all the time, and then goes away, not too sure...

Cindy
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    I have found that Fiber One Bars give me that bloated feeling along with tons of gas. I thought it was just all the extra fiber that I had added to my diet, but I started eliminating foods to find the culprit and it was the Fiber One Bars that seemed to cause the most problems.
  • Hanni
    thanks everyone, I will definitely speak to the doc tomorrow for a blood test and if that is negative too, then maybe she can advise on food allergy.

As for fiber, I have upped my intake alot and am between 25 and 30g each day (due to all that veg!)
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729

I dont eat alot of bread, or pasta. I reduced that to help aid my weightloss. I am vegetarian so I wont eat meat. Maybe it is the vegetarian products I eat? But they are low in everything apart from fat... :ohwell:

what about rice? Alot of vegetarian products have a very high carbohydrate count.
  • Hanni
    no, havent eaten rice for ages. And no, the products here arent that high in carbs. I never go over my carbs anyway, i am usually under... :smile:
This discussion has been closed.