How do you describe your body type?

Replies

• missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    My measurements say I'm an hourglass, however, I look like a ruler. I would say skinny with muscles.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I like the descriptions that have been around for decades. Apple, Pear, and Hour Glass. Almost anyone fits in one of the categories. To describe a woman as 'thick" is offensive. To me, it just sounds bad.. maybe because thick can also be used to describe someone who is mentally challenged.

Edit: Oh, I'm an apple.

I don't know, I grew up with different cultures, and a lot of expressions that would make one angry, is readily used in another.

I remember one friend yelling "OH YOU SO FAT!" when I returned for another season, after being gone for the summer and gaining 30 pounds. I cried.....she ran over and said "No, this is good thing-you RICH!! "

I have been called thick in a complimentary tone from a few friends, and it doesn't bother me. Now FAT........that bothers me:laugh: :laugh:

Oh and I am not sure of my 'shape'..............I am 36 32 36 right now :grumble: Even at my smallest, looking back, I always had that 4-6 inch difference in middle.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    I think "plus-size" is also okay for describing an overweight woman. Years back, in the catalogs the sizes were "misses" and "women's", with women's sizes being plus-sizes.

Anyway, I remember when I first started wearing "plus-size" I went to Macy's to buy some jeans. I asked the sales person "What does the W stand for in the sizes..." womens"?" I was flabbergasted when she said: "No, it stands for "WIDE". OMG.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    I like the descriptions that have been around for decades. Apple, Pear, and Hour Glass. Almost anyone fits in one of the categories. To describe a woman as 'thick" is offensive. To me, it just sounds bad.. maybe because thick can also be used to describe someone who is mentally challenged.

Edit: Oh, I'm an apple.

I don't know, I grew up with different cultures, and a lot of expressions that would make one angry, is readily used in another.

I remember one friend yelling "OH YOU SO FAT!" when I returned for another season, after being gone for the summer and gaining 30 pounds. I cried.....she ran over and said "No, this is good thing-you RICH!! "

I have been called thick in a complimentary tone from a few friends, and it doesn't bother me. Now FAT........that bothers me:laugh: :laugh:

Oh and I am not sure of my 'shape'..............I am 36 32 36 right now :grumble: Even at my smallest, looking back, I always had that 4-6 inch difference in middle.

LOL.. maybe she meant "OH YOU SO PHAT!"
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Right now I am lumpy and cottage-cheesish. It bites.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Right now... probably skinny-fat. I'm working on that.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    For the first time in my life, I consider myself "average", but still with a little extra thanks to the loose skin (Urrrrgh!).
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Reading the other thread gave me a headache :grumble: , I couldn't even go pass the second page :laugh: ...But I "use" to describe my body type as hourglass but yea I don't think so anymore..I think since I have gained weight, I have become more of a pear shaped.

I just have to say, whatever your shape, you are -stunning!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Reading the other thread gave me a headache :grumble: , I couldn't even go pass the second page :laugh: ...But I "use" to describe my body type as hourglass but yea I don't think so anymore..I think since I have gained weight, I have become more of a pear shaped.

I just have to say, whatever your shape, you are -stunning!

Aww thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    90% mesomorphic body type I think is me
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Thin but curvy... slight hourglass shape. Small boobs but a bigger butt. (not huge) I don't know, I don't really have a term to describe my body.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Mostly I just apologize.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    pear---or my own personalized version would be "thin curvy" (ha ha)
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350

that other thread was awful...I get upset when ppl start saying thin ppl can't have curves, and I also hate the negativity toward bigger ppl as well. Why can't we (all being on a fitness website) try to accept the individual shapes ppl are trying to embrace--as long as they are healthy?:) Be positive is all.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Well my measurements are 40-30-41 and I'm very proportionate, but I tend to gain most of my weight in my thighs/hips. So I guess I'd consider myself hourglass.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Powerful type.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    stocky/ built
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    I'm a pear. If I got down to the weight people normally want for my body type (120) I would be skeletal on top. As it is, I'm a small on top and still a size 6-8 on bottom. I have trouble losing from my thighs.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 968 Member
    I am not really sure how to describe my body shape, I am quite busy with a tiny waist but big bum and thighs lol! xxx
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Very thick, athletic and explosive