Why do people call certain guys "handsome"?

Options
13»

Replies

• buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I call guys "pretty" and "beautiful"...

But then they get offended.

I do the same thing! I then have to try to explain to them that I'm not actually telling them they look feminine- I just don't like the word handsome.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Because they don't want to use the term well dressed .
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Usually because the guy is very very rediculously good looking thats all they can think of
    At the time.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I use handsome to compliment male family members when they look nice... because, I think it would sound really wrong if I told them they looked hot or sexy instead. :P

Conversely, it seems weird calling some women "hot" but pretty or similar words seem inapplicable.

Hot profile pic btw.

Oh and only RunningJen ever calls me handsome. But that's because she's so sweet.

Pretty sure she's not the only one to have called you that....

Ok Julie AND Jenn :):)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    never trust people in suits
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I use handsome to compliment male family members when they look nice... because, I think it would sound really wrong if I told them they looked hot or sexy instead. :P

Conversely, it seems weird calling some women "hot" but pretty or similar words seem inapplicable.

Hot profile pic btw.

Oh and only RunningJen ever calls me handsome. But that's because she's so sweet.

Haha! Thank you. :tongue:
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options
    I think the word gets used when someone wants to be very respectful and non judgmental when commenting on how a man looks.

^^This^^ I think women use that too when they don't want to hurt your feelings....
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    I think "handsome" is a positive word.....said in the right context ;)
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who fought in the war in the middle east. He stepped on a landmine. He has lost the majority of his fingers, has a glass eye, and the majority of his skull is made of metal. But when he dresses up, in his military uniform, there is something about him that deifnately makes him handsome. Its the way people hold themself, thier attitude, its not all looks

and no, im not lookign for the pity post either.. just my 2c
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    Awwww.... Who's handsome???? YOU'RE handsome!!!! :tongue:
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Its meant as an innocent compliment !!
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm very old fashioned, (I feel like I should have been this age in the 50's) so I call guys handsome. I just think I don't want guys calling me sexy or hot so I'm not going to call a guy that. I just prefer using the word 'handsome.' :)