is cottage cheese an acquired taste?

Options
13»

Replies

• TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I like it on my salad. Then I tried some sweet recipes with it. Could not stand the texture and the sweetness. So now I put a teaspoon of powder ranch in it, like a salad, and I like that....but that is the only way that I like cottage cheese.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I can't eat it. It grosses me out. I try it again every once in awhile just to see but the answer is always the same - no matter how I try it - YUCK.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Um....ewwwww! I can't stand that stuff. Little clotted beads of goosh in salty cream. Filth.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It's definately a love it or hate it food. I personally love it.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I hated it as a child, along with yogurt. Perhaps I tried the wrong brands? Not sure.

then When I started changing the way I eat I tried again. The yogurt went down well as long as it had fruit in it. CC, was not there yet. Hubby had me try again with the CC 4 years ago, Started out putting fresh pineapple juice and chunks of pineapple. This time it was OK. Now....Just gimmee the container. Plain, fruit, lettuce, chicken, fish, chips, veggies, It's all good.

Try a different brand? I think I went thought about 5 before finding my fav. Meijer brand of all things.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you get. I love drier cottage cheese. Before I moved out of the states he Brookstone fat free was really dry. Since I came back it is really watery. It is still good, but not as good.

However, now I am off non-organic dairy, and I haven't found any good organic cottage cheese, so I haven't eaten any. But if anyone knows any good organic brands and where to get them in the US please message me.

Organic Valley is really good.
    Nancy's Organic makes a cultured one that is really tart and cheesy tasting that I LOVE.
    Both have a lot of curd in proportion to whey. Is that what you mean by dry?
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it acquired... I'd call it more.... ****TY. lol
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    I wouldn't call it acquired... I'd call it more.... ****TY. lol

you, sir...just made me laugh.
  • bxtr87
    bxtr87 Posts: 17
    Options
    Ive always loved cottage cheese, so I couldnt answer rightly. I say, dont gag over it ... there are plenty of great ways to get lean protein/dairy in out there. A good to-try (which I love also) is 0% Plain Greek Yogurt with some Sugar-Free Flavoring Syrup stirred in to taste. Good over fruit/or in granola parfaits. Good luck!!:smile:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I never thought I liked it, because growing up my mom hated it, so I just assumed it sucked. Had a friend in college whose mother made a kick-as$ lasagna with it though, so I thought maybe I did. But still, never really sought it out on my own. Then I married an Indian guy, and a lot of Indian recipes use it and it didn't bother me. So, I decided to give it a whirl. Recently made lasagna cupcakes with it and loved them. So, I'll definitely use it in dishes and not have an issue. But I don't really dig it plain. Need to experiment with what I can add to it. And I love the idea of throwing it in the blender to smooth it out. Funny that this topic is here today. I just bought some yesterday, and when I was grabbing my lunch this morning noticed I had a jar of Tastefully Simple's Sweet Pepper Jalepeno Jam in my fridge and was thinking I should try a bit of that in with the cottage cheese (it usually goes over cream cheese). Think I might try it and throw it in the blender.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies. Almost same macros as greek yogurt but costs 1/3 less. I also like it on a baked potato to add some protein - got that idea from Body for Life.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think I've always liked it, but if I mix it with other things, I definitely prefer to make it savory rather than sweet. Have you tried it that way?

My favorite: add one or two sliced kalamata olives, a few cherry tomatoes, and a pinch of dried herbs. Sometimes I even add a tiny bit of grated Parmesan and EVOO.