Is too much protein bad for me?

Options
I have been noticing lately that I am way way over on my protein intake almost every day. Is this bad for loosing weight? I am doing just fine on calorie, fat, sugar, carb, sodium, and fiber intakes. It is just my protein that is over.

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    protein limits are set low on mfp. you should be getting roughly 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, so don't worry about going over. i aim for 120g every day. ive found by increasing my protein has helped my weight loss.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned, hold a discussion with your doctor. Print out your food logs and have him/her review them.

For me, my Endo tells me "jump in"... heheheheheh if she only knew what my chest freezer looks like right now! LOL!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    protein limits are set low on mfp. you should be getting roughly 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, so don't worry about going over. i aim for 120g every day. ive found by increasing my protein has helped my weight loss.

Yes since the energy required to use them is greater in opposite to the two others nutrients, in the end, eating 10g of proteins will make your weight lose easier than 10 g of fat :-)

the the OP, you can go :-)
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You might get bad breath...
  • auntchelle11
    auntchelle11 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was really starting to get frustrated trying to keep my protein in take within the range MFP says it should be. I felt like I was depriving myself of the good foods that I need in order to keep it in balance.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options

:noway: I eat lots of protein but don't suffer from bad breath (my OH would definitely tell me if I did) where did you hear this info?
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    when it comes to pure weight loss, the macros don't really matter, just make sure to bring all the body needs.
    You can try every macros repartition you'd like =-)
    what matters is how much they fit your lifestyle, and how much you can sustain your regimen. If you want to eat 15 eggs a day, feel free
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options

:noway: I eat lots of protein but don't suffer from bad breath (my OH would definitely tell me if I did) where did you hear this info?

Maybe he mixed that with the release of the ketone bodies :D
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I cut back my protein intake from 40% to 30%...I was getting major stomach aches and was super bloated all the time! Since decreasing my protein I feel much better ....so I was at about 150g protein a day, and drinking protein shakes to obtain that goal...not sure if it was the protein or the protein powder...but just glad to be feeling back to normal. But I definitely don't think if u are getting (or going above)mfp protein settings there is any way you are getting too much!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    OP - Thank you for your topic.
    Razi - Your response was helpful and the Excel spreadsheet you made is amazing. I'm honestly in awe. I wouldn't know where to begin making something like that and the area predicting safe weight loss helped convince me to up my calories and do this the right way. Thank you.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Razi - Your response was helpful and the Excel spreadsheet you made is amazing. I'm honestly in awe. I wouldn't know where to begin making something like that and the area predicting safe weight loss helped convince me to up my calories and do this the right way. Thank you.

Is there a link to the spreadsheet?? I would love to see it!!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Is there a link to the spreadsheet?? I would love to see it!!

If you click on his profile it's down in the why I'm doing this area.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options

*has a quick breath check*.... nope i smell minty fresh ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, too much protein (as anything) is bad for you. But "too much" is WAY more than MFP sets as the minimum. You're probably not eating enough to be harmful.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Way too much protein can lead to gout.......however, 40% to 50% of calories is a good rule of thumb to follow for fat loss.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    @ JenAiMarres
    http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls (or .ods, or .numbers)

@jeanineherndon : you welcome, how is it going ?
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Yes, too much protein (as anything) is bad for you. But "too much" is WAY more than MFP sets as the minimum. You're probably not eating enough to be harmful.

Nothing in "too much" is good, at a certain level, the body has no use of the protein intakes, so they just get converted to Triglycerides, but the conversion process costs a lot, and rarely happen for most of us (we are talking about spartan intakes during days or weeks before even considering the conversion to TGL)
  • jamaljohar
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs in 6 months, i eat 225g of protein a day sometimes more, in a healthy diet, you should get at least .8 x your body weight, ( i got this from some internet research) i stay under my calorie goal and my carbs never go over 100, most days i stay under 50, i excersize almost every day, on big weight lifting days my portein intake is massive. eating protein will keep you feeling fuller longer though the day and you body works harder to digest them. they also put a strain on your kidneys, i drink alot of protein shakes which upset alot of peoples stomachs, but i get one that has "enzymes" not sure what kind, that help in digestion. But all this complex formulas always boil down to the same thing, if your calorie intake is less then your output you will lose weight. but in my oppinion you burn more stored fat when you limit the amount of carbs you put into your body
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend says you can never get enough protein.
  • iambatman41
    Options
    bump