Is too much protein bad for me?

Options
2»

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs in 6 months, i eat 225g of protein a day sometimes more, in a healthy diet, you should get at least .8 x your body weight, ( i got this from some internet research) i stay under my calorie goal and my carbs never go over 100, most days i stay under 50, i excersize almost every day, on big weight lifting days my portein intake is massive. eating protein will keep you feeling fuller longer though the day and you body works harder to digest them. they also put a strain on your kidneys, i drink alot of protein shakes which upset alot of peoples stomachs, but i get one that has "enzymes" not sure what kind, that help in digestion. But all this complex formulas always boil down to the same thing, if your calorie intake is less then your output you will lose weight. but in my oppinion you burn more stored fat when you limit the amount of carbs you put into your body

Yes, proteinases and proteases lead to the hydrolysis :-)
  • eduff3
    eduff3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with you
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think you get gout from that. Gout is caused by your body making too much Uric acid or induced by certain foods. Protein helps you with your hunger, because it makes you feel fuller longer. I found an article. But if you ask ten different people, they tell you 10 different things. So talk to your Doctor.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    @ JenAiMarres
    http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls (or .ods, or .numbers)

@jeanineherndon : you welcome, how is it going ?

Really well! I feel better than I have in years. The scale isn't moving but my clothes are getting loose and I moved from wall push ups to floor, 1 minute of planks to 2 and 5 pound weights to 10. Little victories so far but I'm getting stronger! My goal is to lift heavy and there was no way I was going to get there at 1400 calories. Your chart truly helped me focus less on weight loss and more on my overall health and ultimate goals. I'm grateful to you for that.

Edit - I forgot to mention I just upped my cals 4 days ago. Big difference in a short time for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend says you can never get enough protein.

He needs to talk to my friend's husband who had major surgery and has lifelong health issues from too much protein. But we're talking a LOT of protein (on the advice of a trainer, of course).

Never mind. I just realized what you actually mean.

<~~~~ Slow
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    possible if he hit 1000 g of protein during months yes, or if he was pre-disposed to some enzymatic defficiencies, but the "too much" involved here is what tuna cans and other protein powders. I think we would puke before eating too much proteins everyday
  • efindlay
    efindlay Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Can I see the spreadsheet? I have been doing this for a month, have lost some, but I am always below my carbs, way above my protein and below my fat and calories. I did South Beach for a while a long time ago, and I always tend to go for the protein, as I am not sure what "good carbs" to have. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    See above for the link :-)
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't think you get gout from that. Gout is caused by your body making too much Uric acid or induced by certain foods. Protein helps you with your hunger, because it makes you feel fuller longer. I found an article. But if you ask ten different people, they tell you 10 different things. So talk to your Doctor.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

" Uric acid is a by-product of protein metabolism, especially from eating foods high in purines (including organ meats, beans and legumes) or drinking beer and wine. If there is too much uric acid in the blood, it is excreted to the joints, tissues, kidneys and tendons, where it causes inflammation. Gout comes and goes and its duration can vary from a few days to a few weeks, depending on how intense the causal factors were. "
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've gotten many responses on how the MFP recommendations are low. This is a dangerous blanket statement. The MFP recommendations are based on those from the Institute of Medicine. Healthy people can usually eat more with no problems. Eating too much protein can strain your kidneys. Healthy kidneys usually have no problem with the extra load.

If you have any medical conditions it would be wise to consult your physician before exceeding the limit on a regular basis.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've gotten many responses on how the MFP recommendations are low. This is a dangerous blanket statement. The MFP recommendations are based on those from the Institute of Medicine. Healthy people can usually eat more with no problems. Eating too much protein can strain your kidneys. Healthy kidneys usually have no problem with the extra load.

If you have any medical conditions it would be wise to consult your physician before exceeding the limit on a regular basis.

EXCELLENT advice here. Too much protein CAN put you into kidney failure (which happened to my boss who is a doctor and on the Atkins' diet) but generally this would be huge numbers of protein and/or prior medical condition. So, as stated, one should always be under the supervision of your doctor when making any drastic lifestyle changes even for fitness and health as doctors can run periodic labs such as kidney function, liver function, etc. Be safe, not sorry.