Carbs/Sugar don't make you fat.

Options

Replies

• ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I agree with you. BUT You're macros are so important. If you stay in your caloric range and have 80 grams of sugar, you're going to look a hell of a lot different than someone who stays in their caloric range and has 30 grams of sugar.

Can understand why people would disagree with my point because of calories in and calories out, I just found personally that the lower the sugar the better my body replies.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.

Agreed, and posting this to pre-empt the blanket statements about insulin spikes from people who don't understand that fat oxidation will exceed fat storage in a caloric deficit.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Someone told me to stop eating oatmeal because it causes 'unhealthy insulin spikes' and sugar cravings. My oatmeal is just 40g of oats cooked in water. I refuse to believe that stuff is ****ty for me.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I see I'm not the only one that never gets tired of the carb arguments. They are more fun even than water vs liquid or muscle weighing more then fat.

LOL, it's never any new arguments either. The same people can have this exact discussion every single day and never get tired of it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.
    Do yourself a favor and google "Insulin Resistance"! Carbs and sugar ABSOLUTELY DO make some people fat! Just had to throw THAT out there:)
    This would make sense, except high protein and high fat diets also contribute to insulin resistance.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/145544.php

Insulin resistance is a symptom of obesity, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of causes for it, it's not just sugar and carbs.

Oh, and that link came from a Google search for Insulin Resistance. So, if you're going to tell other people to google it, you may want to take your own advice.

Then how do you get insulin resistance with the absence of obesity?
    You don't. You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have obese levels of body fat. Insulin resistance happens when there is excess fat in the blood stream that prevents insulin receptors from receiving insulin. It can also be tracked, measured, and predicted by the amounts of free fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids in the blood stream.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Somewhat True, HOWEVER....
    I find if I consume lots of them (still everything else in my macros) I tend to then be a BOTTOMLESS PIT!!!
    When I watch the carbs/sugar I dont crave them like the ones in my cupboard are the last ones on earth and if I dont eat them someone else will...
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options

well sorry, but I have proved that wrong. my Dr. backed up the findings and took them to a world wide convention on insulin resistance. hate to be the one to bust your arrogance, but not everyone is equal but enjoy your little world where you know everything.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Grabbing a handful of raw almonds and sitting back to watch the show.... ;)

I agree these ones always get a bit "loud"
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options

Obviously you have not read Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes or you would not make such ignorant statements
    LIKE^^^

Haha. To think that someone actually believes you're supporting Taubes.

He's a modern day genius, how could I not?

well thank god you realize that! HA! lmao :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Seriously? Sugar... one of the main contributers to belly fat,you will rarely find someone with beautiful ABS consuming high quantities of sugar daily,added/fruits/ect. As for carbs,good carbs are needed but bad carbs will cause unwanted effects on the body in most cases.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Awesome i can now eat haribo all day, as long as im under maintenance lol
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer that calories make you fat, regardless of where they come from.

That being said, it is much easier to overindulge on carbs because they don't fill you up as fast as poriten, even though both are 4 kcal/g.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

well sorry, but I have proved that wrong. my Dr. backed up the findings and took them to a world wide convention on insulin resistance. hate to be the one to bust your arrogance, but not everyone is equal but enjoy your little world where you know everything.
    Insulin Resistance changes your metabolic rate. It doesn't change the fact that eating too much causes weight gain. It just changes the definition of "too much."
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Insulin resistance is a symptom of obesity, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of causes for it, it's not just sugar and carbs.

Oh, and that link came from a Google search for Insulin Resistance. So, if you're going to tell other people to google it, you may want to take your own advice.

Insulin resistance is not only caused by obesity, I developed it as a child who was not obese at the time. I did eventually become obese after following the so called healthy diets Dr.s and profestionals put me on till I found a brillian Dr. who took time to find out the truth about insulin resistance and me.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    NO, it doesn't. But eating a diet high in carbs and much lower in protein for me would make muscle building and maintenance rather harder. Not everyone is trying to lose weight or stay the same...
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Everyone’s body tolerates different foods differently. I can NOT eat the pastas, breads, and starchy things like potatoes. Just because it makes me gain weight and bloat and so on, I will not say that everyone needs to not eat them. Everyone is different and needs to find out what works for them. Don’t be ignorant!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Then how do you get insulin resistance with the absence of obesity?
    You don't. You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have obese levels of body fat. Insulin resistance happens when there is excess fat in the blood stream that prevents insulin receptors from receiving insulin. It can also be tracked, measured, and predicted by the amounts of free fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids in the blood stream.

There is no clear science on all causes of insulin resistance, but you do not have to be obese by any standard to develop it. Medications, infection, illness, and stress are among things that may cause it. And there is thought to be a strong genetic factor.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Seriously? Sugar... one of the main contributers to belly fat,you will rarely find someone with beautiful ABS consuming high quantities of sugar daily,added/fruits/ect. As for carbs,good carbs are needed but bad carbs will cause unwanted effects on the body in most cases.

There are lots of people on here that eat sugar/fruit/ice cream and have great abs.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Insulin resistance is not only caused by obesity, I developed it as a child who was not obese at the time. I did eventually become obese after following the so called healthy diets Dr.s and profestionals put me on till I found a brillian Dr. who took time to find out the truth about insulin resistance and me.

I'm sorry to be a brat and point out the obvious, but with your 60+ lbs of weight loss to go and only 5 lb lost, I don't think you should be talking about what works for you.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    In before potential s**t storm

lol. I don't watch my sugar, I know I eat a lot. It comes from fruit and yogurt though. and *cough* the cookies
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    People really need to understand the difference between gaining weight due to fat, and gaining weight due to water and glycogen.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, UNDERSTAND THIS.