C25K How much did you weigh?

Options
13»

Replies

• greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started at 137.5. I use the C25K program that someone translated for a treadmill. I walk/run at 3 miles per hour every day. I'm in my 8th week and running 35 minutes and am down to 123.5 - WOOHOO.
    You don't have to full-out run you can do a light jog. The program even tells you if you can slow down that you are probably running too fast anyway.
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I HIGHLY recommend seeking a proper fitting of shoes. Any problem with supponation, or pronation can throw your knees and hips out of whack. Also remember that you are using muscles that haven't been stressed in a while and that will make your joints hurt until they are strong enough to keep them aligned correctly. Add some strength training, it will help with the pain. I've been a runner since I was 12, off and on due to injury, babies, etc....my knees where killing me when first starting back and then I sought out proper footwear for my issues, and added strength training. What a difference it makes! FYI I'm 154 now at 5'3". FYI when seeking a proper fitting, don't go to the mall or a random sports store, they typically are hired help that do not know the difference between pronation/supponation etc. Find a specialty footwear store that specializes in sports shoes, I warn you, a good fitting pair of running shoes will cost you roughly $120, but I swear it's worth it. You have the rest of your life to stand and walk on your feet and knees, YOU are worth it. Your feet are like protecting your head when biking!

I completely agree with this. My feet overpronates so I had to seek out footwear that will stabilize them as I pound the pavement. This is my 2nd time doing C25K (stopped at week 6 last time), I will be running my first 5K June 24, 2012 and so looking forward to it.
  • crutter98
    Options
    I started a 4 weeks to 1 mile training plan before I started my 8 weeks to 5k and so far it has helped me.
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Not just the shoes!!! You need to do the proper stretches before and after! Active.com and coolrunning.com have a TON of great tips on injury prevention - and stretching.

I was 248# when I started - am half way through week 2 now and am at 242#. Don't concentrate on how far you go, concentrate on breathing and good form....speed/distance will come naturally! Five days into the program and I'm already covering way more ground than I did on Day 1, and my speed has improved already by a minute a mile.

Good luck and listen to your body!!!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last fall and loved it I was around 190ish I still run now and I`m about 170now ( I haven`t wieghed in since early March so more than likely alittle lighter than that 170 now)
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in January and I weighed 307 at the time.

I'm in the middle of week 4 of B210K (13 weeks into running). I've completed to 5K races, and my long run on Saturday was 6 miles!

I have my first 10K race coming up in another month or so and I am signed up for two Half Marathons.

I'm down to 271 as of this morning.

Running has changed my life (along with MFP).

Here's the thing... I NEVER thought I could run because of my weight, knee problems and heel spurs that give me plantar fasciitis.

For me the key was "barefoot" or minimalist running. Instead of the highly cushioned, very supportive running shoes that most people wear, I wear minimalist shoes that offer almost no support and very little cushioning. They make you run with a form that causes you to land on the mid-foot or balls of the feet instead of the heel. For me that was the key.

I wear either Vibram FiveFingers or New Balance Minimus Zeros.

This is not for everybody, but the best time to give it a try is if you are not a runner as you are supposed to slowly transition to this type of running to build up the muscle and tendon strength in your feet - that's what takes the shock instead of your heels or joints.

Ted
  • JaxCanRun
    Options
    I'm a graduate and I was 245 when I started. Go slow. Focus on breathing. 1 breath in for every 2 steps and 1 breath out for 2 steps. Find a good pair of supportive running shoes. and Google Chi Running. Believe it or not, there is a "technique" for running. I found that if I followed their guidelines, I had no pain my knees and shins.

Good luck and you can do it!
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also got a good pair of trainers - as a physio student I'm aware that I supinate and got the correct trainers, £45 (sale price), made a huge difference but as I already had a knee problem they were never going to fix it. Just be aware of what you can take, or get some physio advice if you're unsure.