Breaking in Doc Martens

Options
skinnylove00
skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
its a workout in itself!! my GOODNESS it hurts. anyone tried it? when does it get easier? as hard as it is theyre so worth it and i look like a bad *kitten* trooping around campus :D but anyone out there have tips that can help a girl out? :glasses:

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    It sucks, but gets better. Give it a couple of weeks.
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    LOL. I love my Doc But they are hard to break in.. Try heating them up with a hairdryer and then when the leather is still warm stuff them with towels or something to stretch them, or you could also heat them up and then wear them. The heat makes it easier to stretch the leather.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Freakin man up! I've been wearing Docs for over 20 years and have had more pairs than I can count. Just wear them and they'll feel awesome in no time.

I still have the 10 hole cherry reds that I bought in 1991. They're beat to sh1t but they're comfortable as hell.
  • ashhhhole
    ashhhhole Posts: 74
    Options
    I used to only wear them for 10-15 minutes at a time, and then I would walk around my house. I can't remember how long it took for them to fit perfectly, but once they did they became the best shoes I ever wore.
  • xshesinpartiesx
    Options
    If they're big enough, try wearing hiking socks, or double up your socks. Extra padding will help keep you from getting blisters where the creases rub on your ankles. Other than that, pound the pavement! They'll loosen up within a month or so. I've been wearing my 20-eyelet DMs practically non-stop for 3 years. :D
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Oh man I remember those days. They are so tough but they really last a long long time.
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    "Back in the day" i used to put a towel over them and belt them with a hammer!!! Ive got to get me some docs again!

also once they are broken in they are the best!! ah memories of my cherry red , black and purple boots!!!!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Kids these days... I weep for the future.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've broken in several pairs, just gotta suck it up and take it! Like exercising, the end result is worth the pain. They're the best shoes you'll ever have!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I just kept wearing them. I don't remember how long it took to break them in, but I don't remember it taking that long. My feet grew a size when I got pregnant with my 2nd, and I haven't been able to wear them. I have 3 pairs. :frown: "Your mama wears combat boots" would never work as a cutdown for my kids. :smile:
  • duchess_natas
    duchess_natas Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Freakin man up! I've been wearing Docs for over 20 years and have had more pairs than I can count. Just wear them and they'll feel awesome in no time.

I still have the 10 hole cherry reds that I bought in 1991. They're beat to sh1t but they're comfortable as hell.

I still have my 3 hole I bought in 1990. Those damn Docs last foooooorever! Got married in my 20 hole ox blood docs last year. Just wear them and they will become like a second skin to you!
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Does anyone want to buy me a pair?? D:bigsmile:
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I still have my 8 hole, ox bloods Airwairs. Bought em in 1991.
  • sabriel
    sabriel Posts: 46
    Options
    I made the mistake of taking my shiny new docs on a trip to the lake district with my grandparents :P Still have scars on the back of my ankles.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    the veggie ones are better.

:flowerforyou:
  • sjohnny
    Options

Does anyone want to buy me a pair?? D:bigsmile:

Not if you're going to beat them with a hammer.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    As others have said, just don't rush it - you break them in a little and they break you in. If you overdo it, you'll end up getting blisters, which will hurt and slow down everything anyway.

Take it from the guy who broke in his MIE quilon 14-eyelet boots by taking his dog for long walks . . . that ended up sucking. Little at a time and before you know it you'll have boots soft as silk but tough as nails.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The 90's called they want your shoes back. :wink:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :flowerforyou:
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHA. I thought you meant break-dancing in doc martens.......LOL. I was thinking "Old School!"
  • sjohnny
    Options
    The 90's called they want your shoes back. :wink:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :flowerforyou:

The last pair I bought are the wingtips I'm wearing now. And I bought them in the 90s.

And I didn't ***** about having to break them in. In the 90s we just dealt with it and carried on.