What does your exercise routine look like?

Options

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    M - ashtanga yoga (75 min) and running speed intervals (15 min)
    T - total body lifting (7 exercises, 3 sets of 6) + low-intensity cardio (20 minutes)
    W - speed run, 2 miles at 9:30 pace (and will add 1/4 mile each week) + focused arm/ab work (15 minutes)
    R - vinyasa flow 1 yoga (75 min) and will be adding a 1-hour adult beginner ballet class soon
    F - total body lifting (7 exercises, 3 sets of 6) + low-intensity cardio (20 minutes)
    S - vinyasa flow 2 yoga (90 min) and a 10K run
    S - total body lifting (7 exercises, 3 sets of 6) + low-intensity cardio (20 minutes), occasionally a gentle/restorative yoga class

I don't have a "designated" rest day because I find that they happen enough naturally based on work, travel, other events in life.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Monday & Friday: swim 1.5 km (takes about 40 minutes) and 15 minutes of stretch
    Tuesday & Thursday: playground workout (15 min skipping, 30 minutes of strength conditioning with my own body weight), 10-15 minute stretch

Weekends: 2 -4 hours of housework and at least one "family fitness" activity (ie swimming or hiking)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    My initial weight loss workout (all bodyweight):
    Another Bodyweight Culture article, this one courtesy Cheesedog at:

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?11058-Bodyweight-Strength-Training

Bodyweight Strength Training

People are always asking about strength training using only bodyweight. This is nothing new or revolutionary. I am borrowing HEAVILY from Rippatoe, Bill Starr, and lots of other great authors and trainers. This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

And my current gym workout, based on that bodyweight workout:
    By the way guys...I just wrote up my current weight training workout for my new MFP friend Ginny...so I thought since I had it in text, I'd list it out here for any of you interested. As I mentioned, it's a modified version of my old bodyweight workout.

Ok, here's your simple routine!

You will lift 3 days a week, preferably Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You should be able to complete this workout in roughly an hour. There are two routines...called 'Workout A' and 'Workout B'. You will do Workout A on your first Monday, and Workout B on your first Wednesday. After that you will simply alternate, A, B, A, B etc. So on your first week, you'll do Workout A twice, second week, Workout B twice. You will use a 5x5 format...meaning 5 sets of 5 reps, with no more than a minute rest between. I rest FAR less than that...30 seconds tops (I actually use a heart rate monitor now, and keep the rate about 130 or so). In order to decide on a weight (this goes for all exercises), you'll need to find a weight you can do only 6 or 7 reps with on your first set. This should make it properly challenging for your last set.

Now, the exercises:

Workout A:
    1 - Weighted Squats/Lunges - Using either dumb bells, kettlebells, or a smith machine, do 5 sets of 5 squats, or 5 sets of 10 lunges (5 each leg)
    2 - Dumb Bell Press - Lay back on a bench, and using a 'bench press' motion, press up your matched dumb bells, twisting them so the sides touch at the top. Again, 5 sets of 5.
    3 - Horizontal Row - Using the lat pull down machine, lay backwards as far down as you can, and using the bar with a shoulder width grip...pull the weight until the bar touches your chest (a slight gap is fine). 5 sets of 5.
    4 - Ab Work Flex - I perfer to do leg lifts for this workout. Using the ab stand (similar to a dip bar, but with handles), lift your legs straight forward, bending at the hips...return to lowered, then lift them towards the left side, return, then towards the right, and return. That is one rep. Do 3-5 sets of 5 reps. If you cannot lift your legs with your knees straight, bend them however much is necessary to allow you to complete the workout.
    5 - Ab Work Static - Forward Planks. Get in pushup position, only resting on your elbows. Hold your body straight as a board from shoulders to toes for 30 seconds. Do this 3-5 times.

Workout B:
    1 - Weighted Squats/Lunges - Using either dumb bells, kettlebells, or a smith machine, do 5 sets of 5 squats, or 5 sets of 10 lunges (5 each leg)1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    2 - Dumb Bell Shoulder Press - Using dumb bells, sit on a bench, then press your weights upward from your shoulders, to above your head. Do 5 sets of 5 reps.
    3 - Weighted Extensions - Utilizing the extension stand, place a dumb bell of appropriate weight on the ground. Lock your ankles under the pads, and brace your hips against the stand. Bend down, pick up the dumb bell, then straighten your body, until your back is perpendicular to the ground...bringing the weight slightly forward. Then, lower yourself down, letting the weight touch the floor. That is one rep. Do 5 sets of 5 reps.
    4 - Pullups - 5 sets of 5 reps. If you cannot complete that many regular pullups, use the assisted machine, and a level of assistance that allows you to do only 7 reps on the first set. Worst case, use the lat pull down machine, and use a pullup motion with it.
    5 - Ab Work Rotation - Using the ab station, lift your legs straight outward, as if you were leg lifting, then, twisting your hips side to side, sweeping your legs side to side in a 'windshield wiper' type motion. Do 10 reps (each sweep in one direction is a rep, so left, right, left would be 3 reps), 3 sets minimum, 5 sets maximum.

That's it! This is my EXACT workout at the gym, currently. It's simple, quick, targets your entire body, and since you're lifting the heaviest weight you can...the workout is extreme. Each successive workout, try to add 5lbs to your weight. If you have to stop in the middle and lower the weight to complete the exercise, that's fine as well. The next time you do that exercise, start with the same weight, until you can complete the entire 5x5 at that weight...at which point you'll move up 5lbs again.
  • Spakka
    Spakka Posts: 2
    Options
    4 day split. 5 days a week.
    Day1-Chest & Biceps
    Day2-Back (lats, traps, rhomboids)
    Day3-Legs
    Day4-Delts/Triceps
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Mon - strength training
    Tue - Spin Bike
    Wed - Short run with sprints (3 miles)
    Thur - rest
    Fri - 3 to 4.5 mile run
    Sat - strength training
    Sun - 5 to 11 mile run (depends on where I am in my half marathon training)

And I walk on my breaks at work, so 10 to 18 miles of walking a week as well.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Monday - Hannah Waterman body blitz (interval training)
    Tuesday - Davina Ultimate Target (2 x smaller sections plus warm up and cool down)
    Wednesday - Hannah Waterman box blitz (Interval training)
    Thursday - Davina Ultimate target (2 x smaller sections plus warm up and cool down
    Friday - Day off
    Saturday - Davina Ultimate Target - fat burner
    Sunday - Davina Ultimate Target - bootcamp
  • KimJaejoong
    Options
    I go to the gym everyday for 3 hours - I may take a day off every week and a half and I alternate upper and lower body. I do the elliptical everyday for 45 minutes, then hit the weight room. I do the same core workouts everyday, too.

Monday:
    - Elliptical: 4 miles, 45min at 10 resistance
    - Core workouts: ab crunch, leg lift, stability ball knee, plank tuck jumps, sit ups
    - Upper Body: bench press, single lat pull, fly, rear delt, chest press, bicep curl, arm extension, row

Tuesday:
    - Elliptical: 4 miles, 45min at 10 resistance
    - Core workouts: ab crunch, leg lift, stability ball knee, plank tuck jumps, sit ups
    - Lower Body: squats, leg curl, abduction, adduction, glute

Like I said: I do that everyday and alternate between upper and lower. =^-^=

I'm honestly considering incorporating the Beach Body Insanity workouts into my routine. Because, when I'm not at school or at the gym, I'm at home and I feel lazy.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Its different every day...but here is today's work out

5 rounds for time:
    Run 400m
    15 Overhead Squats (65lb)

Tuesday- cardio 45 mins

wed work out
    3 rounds for time:
    Run 800m
    50 GHD Hip Extensions
    50 Sit-ups

thursday -cardio 45 mins, some weights
    friday- cardio 45 mins, some abs
    sat- cardio 45 mins, some thighs
    sun- cardio 45 mins
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Mon/Wed/Fri: Abs, Arms, walking, Yoga Twist
    Tues/Thurs: Egoscue, Squats, walking, Yoga Abs

Recovering from a brain injury so I'm going very slow, but consistently..
  • bloomiesgirl
    bloomiesgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Monday - Insanity & Spin Class
    Tuesday - Insanity, Boot Camp, & Zumba
    Wednesday - 15 min Abs class (I consider this my rest day)
    Thursday - Insanity, Boot Camp, & Cardio/Strength Training Class
    Friday - Insanity & Spin Class
    Saturday - Insanity, Weight Lifting/Run
    Sunday - Insanity, Walk/Run
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Monday: PM: Teach BodyStep
    Tuesday: AM: Exericse for an consisting of 1mi warm up, lifting, and fill in the rest with a run
    Wednesday: AM: Teach BodyPump, PM: aerobic activity (prefer running if the weather cooperates)
    Thursday: AM: Exericse for an consisting of 1mi warm up, lifting, and fill in the rest with a run, PM: aerobic activity (prefer running if the weather cooperates) if I can't do it on Wednesday
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: AM: 1mi warm up, lift, Teach or take BodyStep (this weekend we launch at my gym so no lifting instead I'll Step, Pump, Flow)
    Sunday: rest or at home tabata with the DH

Edit: This week I'll probably do no PM work outside of practicing my choreo for launch.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    go to gym, lift heavy things, put them down, repeat as necessary until desired area feels like wet noodles, leave gym, repeat 2 days later.
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to have insane workouts. When I was younger... and in The Marines. Now? It's pretty pathetic in comparison.

M/W/F
    -Elliptical: 30 minutes

Mon
    -Dumbbell Press 3 sets of 10
    -Shoulder Press 3 sets of 10

Fri
    -One arm curls 3 sets of 10
    -Seated row 3 sets of 10

3-4 days a week, walking after work, 1.4 miles.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Monday: Training: Upperbody and Cardio
    Tuesday: Training: Lowerbody and Cardio
    Wednesday: Cardio
    Thursday: Training: Fullbody and Cardio
    Friday: Cardio
    Satuday: Optional Cardio/Rest
    Sunday: Optional Cardio/Rest

My cardio usually lasts for about 30min
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Wait, we're supposed to exercise?
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    M- Zumba Toning (weights)
    T Zumba
    W cardio kick boxing or elliptical
    Th. Zumba
    F. Powerbarz
    weekennd I useally do stuff around the house Yard work and houecleaning
    :smokin:

They are all 1 hour classes and the elliptical is 1 hour also
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Mon - Chest and tricep
    Tues - Back and bicep
    Wed - Shoulders and Legs.
    Thurs - Cardio and abs
    Fri - Chest and Back
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5, three days per week alternate between workout A: squats, bench presses, and barbell rows and workout B: squats, overhead presses and deadlifts (only 1x5 on the deadlift).
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Treadmill M-W-F walk for 1 hr on 1 degree of incline between 3.7-40 MPH

Tues: Power pump (a weight lifting & lunge/squat class at tempo to music)
    W & T 45 min Spin class

I have a groin injury so my routine really depends on how I feel that day.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Mine look like a fat lady huffing and puffing with a red face.