Ladies: Squats in stilettos! :-)

Options
Those looking for a little spice in their routine... I tried these tonight in my platform heels and holy moly- you get a much deeper squat and it feels like you are working your legs so much more than regular ones! I did 30 reps and that got me tired.. and I can really feel it in the glutes too. :)

TRY THEM! But of course, be very careful not to be sloppy because this is much more dangerous than flat footed (lol). Stay in control and remember quality/form over quantity. Keep that back straight, pull that belly button into the spine, squat low... and feel the burn! :)

ETA: I'm not promoting that these replace your normal fitness regimen/squats that you do during your normal daily workout.
I always look for ways to incorporate toning/exercise throughout my normal day... so if I can fit in 30 squats in my heels before I go to work or go out for the night... and feel like I've worked 2x as hard... I'm all for it. :)

ETA#2: I didn't add extra weight, nor do I recommend you add any extra weight. Your own body weight/resistance is perfect.

Replies

• JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    bump!
  • jillyjelly
    jillyjelly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    that sounds painful and unsteady to me
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I can barely walk in heels, definitely not going to try squatting in them, broken ankles are not conducive to my current workout routine. LOL. I'm feeling the burn just fine with about 40 lbs added to my squat with a calf raise in the squat, gonna bump up to 50 next week, much safer for me personally. ;-)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    That just sounds incredibly dangerous to me..... I do hope your not doing it with some serious weights....

Thos kind of shoes are already bad for your feet when worn for a while anyways. I can't imagine why anybody would do strength exercises in them...or advise others to do so.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    that sounds painful and unsteady to me

I can see the unsteady part for some who aren't used to heels. I spent the majority of my college career working in heels 8-10hrs a day in retail... so I guess they just come natural to me. :)
  • thejen75
    thejen75 Posts: 90
    Options
    Well, I'll try it anyway. :0)
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'll get my heels out tomorrow and try this :p
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Checkout Coco in her heels doin squats! She's fierce
    http://twitpic.com/ts7ef
  • saynotofat
    Options
    I can feel the pain, just thinking about your knees down the road! Please be careful. I injured my knee on a stepper several years ago and I remember it every day when I feel it in my knee.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Not a doctor... but I wouldn't suggest this well at any amount of high weight on a squat, you can potentially tear muscle tissue on the top of your foot and your inner placiatis (spelling)

Im not a doctor but I am pretty sure this is not good.... a podiatrist friend of mine flips out regarding high heels...
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @msliu7911..I've done this in pole dancing class and u are right it burns the thighs especially in the quads. We used a chair like doing a lap dance.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Nice tip, I'll have to try it.....:)
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i feel so wierd in heels..like a gaint hippo wearing them. i dk why
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Those looking for a little spice in their routine... I tried these tonight in my platform heels and holy moly- you get a much deeper squat and it feels like you are working your legs so much more than regular ones! I did 30 reps and that got me tired.. and I can really feel it in the glutes too. :)

TRY THEM! But of course, be very careful not to be sloppy because this is much more dangerous than flat footed (lol). Stay in control and remember quality/form over quantity. Keep that back straight, pull that belly button into the spine, squat low... and feel the burn! :)

ETA: I'm not promoting that these replace your normal fitness regimen/squats that you do during your normal daily workout.
    I always look for ways to incorporate toning/exercise throughout my normal day... so if I can fit in 30 squats in my heels before I go to work or go out for the night... and feel like I've worked 2x as hard... I'm all for it. :)

ETA#2: I didn't add extra weight, nor do I recommend you add any extra weight. Your own body weight/resistance is perfect.

Pics always help :) Just sayin....
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I teach ZUmba and have thought about doing a class in heals. I think we would get a totally different workout!
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I don't see how squatting in heels would be any different then getting low on the dance floor at a club haha. Seems like something I might have to try!
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I teach ZUmba and have thought about doing a class in heals. I think we would get a totally different workout!

haha! I agree... I think that would be a great idea only if everyone were graceful though.... :) Otherwise I can see a few rolled ankles and busted behinds. :P
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I don't see how squatting in heels would be any different then getting low on the dance floor at a club haha. Seems like something I might have to try!

@mrsnathan.. EXACTLY! I agree with you 100%! If anything they prep you for better dance moves. :P
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    if you wanted a safer way of doing so, why not just lift weights on an incline? Personally, I fear for the muscles and tendons in the foot, they wasn't made to take that kind of force
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    seriously?