Chris Powell 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution

Options
Hey MFP Pals! I just finished reading the Chris Powell's book on carb cycling and it looks like it makes sense. Yes, the book was repetitive and missing some specific details that I would have appreciated (like the actual amount of carbs in grams to consume on a low carb day vs a high carb day) BUT overall, I think I like it.

Does anyone have any experience trying out his method? And if so, how did it go?:huh:

Replies

• mrsjimmo
    mrsjimmo Posts: 7
    Options
    I am halfway through the book and wondering if it is worth it. At first it sounded great, and I do have great faith in Chris Powell as a trainer, but it really seems like a lot of extra work!! I am left with the same questions, how
    Much to eat on each day, and also wondering if there will be a gain during the first few weeks as your body gets the hang of things. I haven't been able to find anyone on this site who has tried it out, to find
    Out if it works
  • JackieMac979
    JackieMac979 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in reading anyone else's thoughts about this book. I just ordered it and it should arrive in the mail tomorrow. It's disappointing to hear that there aren't more details about how many grams of carbs to have on particular days in the book.
  • krista1020
    krista1020 Posts: 11
    Options
    I just started this diet plan on Sunday-so I don't have any feedback for myself on whether it "works" but my friend has been doing it for a while now and has lost a LOT of weight. I too am disappointed about not having a number for the carbs on low/high days, but after I read chp 9-end again (it took me twice to "get it")...if you use his food list and his portion sizes (where he uses the hand to measure carbs/veggies/fat/protien) then you should do fine (according to my friend). I was already doing low carb, so I am liking the fact that I get to have a little bit of carbs every other day AND a cheat day on Sunday. Just make sure that on your high carb days, your carbs are LOW FAT/NO FAT...so no dounuts:)
  • willeeloman
    willeeloman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. Perhaps someone has figured out portions on the 7 Day Carb Cycle... Are you supposed to have one serving of protein and one serving of carb at each of the three meals and two snacks on high carb days? One portion of fat at three meals on the low-carb days? I'm a bit confused and can't seem to find an answer to this. Also, what if you are hypoglycemic? If the last thing I eat is at 7pm and don't go to bed till 11pm, my head will be swimming and I run the risk of one whopping headache waking me in the middle of the night. Any thoughts? I've emailed these questions to Mr. Powell, but have yet to get a response.

Also, have any of you had success with this? It seems a reasonable way to go, not dissimilar to how I am supposed to "graze" to keep blood sugar under control. How about the shredder/shaper routine? Again, very reasonable approach (assuming I can stick with it and not procrastinate).

Thanks!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump - trying to do this as well. i could really use a decent meal plan - the book is still pretty vague. In the book hummus is listed as an acceptable "flavouring" - its not on his website - a little confusing. i have the ebook and could use a good printable copy of the food list. his website doesnt have all the same items listed.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This always happens - as soon as i ask a question i find the answer. here is the pdf food list

http://chrispowell.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ChrisPowell_SmartFoodsList.pdf
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    I do this, although I have not read his book. I try to keep low carb days at about 40-55 carbs and high carb days between 100-150. Seems to work quite nicely. Lets you have some nice fruit and lots of veggies on high carb days while keeping your overall carb intake through out the week low.
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i did it for about a week about a month ago! I think I may give it another try!
    just have a hard time trying to eat all the food during the day, but it worked, i had not been losing , and that week i lost 2.4 pounds.
  • Neesie346
    Neesie346 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 1 today. It was difficult for me to have so many meals in one day but here is where I think my problem lies. I frequently skip breakfast, get busy and it could be well after 1pm before I eat anything. Of course I am consuming most of my calories in the evenings. This may be the answer for me. I enjoyed the book .The pdf list is good but I am wondering if for the beginning we should go by the master grocery list in the book?

Have any of you done the shapers and shredders routine. Today was a shaper in the am and shredder later on day for me. It just doesn't seem like "enough" exercise...but again it's only day 1 :-)
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I want to check out this book. Is it available at Barnes and Noble, or any other stores, or just online?
  • nicoleeoff
    nicoleeoff Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Anyone still doing this?
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just started on Monday and am loving it so far!
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I also started on Monday and I'm loving it too!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I say wait.....someone will do it in 5 days.
  • MidgeN27
    Options
    Hello, everyone. Perhaps someone has figured out portions on the 7 Day Carb Cycle... Are you supposed to have one serving of protein and one serving of carb at each of the three meals and two snacks on high carb days? One portion of fat at three meals on the low-carb days? I'm a bit confused and can't seem to find an answer to this. Also, what if you are hypoglycemic? If the last thing I eat is at 7pm and don't go to bed till 11pm, my head will be swimming and I run the risk of one whopping headache waking me in the middle of the night. Any thoughts? I've emailed these questions to Mr. Powell, but have yet to get a response.

Also, have any of you had success with this? It seems a reasonable way to go, not dissimilar to how I am supposed to "graze" to keep blood sugar under control. How about the shredder/shaper routine? Again, very reasonable approach (assuming I can stick with it and not procrastinate).

Thanks!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    for those low-carbing, what does your fibre number look like?
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MidgeN27
    Options
    I have found that if I stick to 1200 calories on my low carb days and 1500-1600 hundred on my high cal days I do well. If I am short on calories and had too few calories for the day I will add an extra meal! First time I did this About a week before thanksgiving I was able to get down to my goal weight loss 5 pounds ( I was stuck at 143 pounds since August!) Then I gained 12 pounds over the holidays and I'm already down 7 pounds since this Monday! I'm a happy girl. The exercises I do not do...I am doing P90X instead. Best wishes everyone!
  • MidgeN27
    Options
    I get between 19 and 31 g on low carb days feel free to check out my diary!