Do you exercise on empty stomach?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rissasgunnadoit
    Options
    i think its different for everyone, some people need to hydrate and have something to burn to work out.....my own personal thing is always on an empty stomach besides my little cup of coffee, i get cramps very easy in my stomach so if i eat i get cramps and feel sloshy and dont finish my workout
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Just a thought: If your a person that does their workout in the morning, after not eating so many hours (while at rest),
    how can you expect your body to function well without fuel?

Because it still has fuel. You don't run out as soon as you stop eating.

Three days a week I get up in the morning and do resistance training after the last thing I ate being no later than 8:00PM. I feel great and push hard. Sunday morning I ran 9 miles after having fasted for 12 hours. It was awesome. At 11:30 this morning I ran 5 miles. I had not eaten since 8:00 last night. I beat my previous 5 mile time by 50 seconds. I eat a pretty good amount of food between noon and 8:00 PM.

Everybody's stuff works differently. Find what works for you.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Depends on the workout. If I'm going to the gym for some cardio (usually 40 minutes- 1 hour spent there) then I don't eat. I get up at 5-515 am so I'm not eating that early PLUS it makes me feel queasy to eat so close to working out. If I'm going on a long run (10 miles and up) I will eat a piece of toast with some peanut butter about 45 minutes before I head out (usually around 630am) plus I take honey stinger chews with me to eat along the way should I start to feel run down. So far so good.
  • batistanorberto
    Options
    i wake up at 6am in the morning do my insanity workout than like around noon ill have my lunch then at 5pm ill have dinner and thats it drink plenty of water after that so far im liking it
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Dr. Oz says to workout before you eat. For a while I thought I got queasy if I didn't eat first. I've figured out that I only get queasy if I don't drink water and get hydrated before I exercise.

Well if Dr. Oz says it, it MUST be true.

And if you don't agree then it must be false?

Sleeping for 8 hours makes your body fast for the same amount of time. Given the fact that you will be carbohydrate and glycogen depleted after your body using the reserves for trivial things such as staying alive you need to replenish this as soon as possible.

Now, exercise in this state will burn fat? Probably but what about catabolism? Fat is not immediately accessed when exercising, the process can take up to ten, fifteen minutes to start tapping into the really good stuff. So, what will be the alternative?

Muscle.

I'm pretty sure that muscle loss isn't the purporse of exercise where fat loss may be the priority. If not, why are you bothering to diet and eat correctly? Loss of muscle will also restrict calories used during exercise as if there is less muscle, less energy requirement from calories which means you burn less.

So, if you want to start undoing all your hard work and effort then my all means fasted cardio is ideal. For those who want to replenish your body, eat carbs and an instant protein source that will be absorbed quickly. No one is talking three course meal but try running your car on an empty tank and see how far you get.

Summary, you'll destroy your hard work with fasted cardio. Anyone attempting to gain or at least preserve muscle knows this and will eat before exercise, regardless of the time of day. When you awake, it is slightly important to replenish your body but most on here do what they like then post in the motivation forums that the diet and exercise isn't working. Save yourself the trouble of another post for no reason and eat something before exercise.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    If i don't have the energy to workout in the morning (like today), i'll grab a banana to give me the boost i need. Other than that, it's just water.
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If i workout in the AM i do not eat, if i work out in the afternoon i wait at least 2hrs after eating lunch/any food. :)
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I do my exercise early in the morning. I swim a lot for my exercise. It is recommended that you do not swim for at least one hour after eating and I draw the line at getting up in the dark to eat breakfast! I also find it easier to exercise on an empty stomach. If I ate before swimming I would only be hungry by the time I got back anyway!

If I exercise in the evening then I have already eaten but allow 1-2 hours after food before I exercise.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yup!

Whenever I workout in the morning I always eat when I come back, not before.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    been training fasted for several months now, and have had no ill affects...

people that think they are getting fuel from a small meal an hour prior to working out are mistaken... that pre workout meal will actually be "fueling" you post workout, not during...

increased GH production during fasted state is just one benefit, and the use of stored energy (fat) is another... fasted training is ideal when trying to lose bodyfat...

so is passing out? :drinker:
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the morning then yes I do... because I wake up, work out, shower, eat breakfast, get my kids ready, drop them off at daycare and go to work all in a 2 hour time frame.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I'd chuck 5-10g BCAA down me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says to workout before you eat. For a while I thought I got queasy if I didn't eat first. I've figured out that I only get queasy if I don't drink water and get hydrated before I exercise.

Well if Dr. Oz says it, it MUST be true.

And if you don't agree then it must be false?

Sleeping for 8 hours makes your body fast for the same amount of time. Given the fact that you will be carbohydrate and glycogen depleted after your body using the reserves for trivial things such as staying alive you need to replenish this as soon as possible.

Now, exercise in this state will burn fat? Probably but what about catabolism? Fat is not immediately accessed when exercising, the process can take up to ten, fifteen minutes to start tapping into the really good stuff. So, what will be the alternative?

Muscle.

I'm pretty sure that muscle loss isn't the purporse of exercise where fat loss may be the priority. If not, why are you bothering to diet and eat correctly? Loss of muscle will also restrict calories used during exercise as if there is less muscle, less energy requirement from calories which means you burn less.

So, if you want to start undoing all your hard work and effort then my all means fasted cardio is ideal. For those who want to replenish your body, eat carbs and an instant protein source that will be absorbed quickly. No one is talking three course meal but try running your car on an empty tank and see how far you get.

Summary, you'll destroy your hard work with fasted cardio. Anyone attempting to gain or at least preserve muscle knows this and will eat before exercise, regardless of the time of day. When you awake, it is slightly important to replenish your body but most on here do what they like then post in the motivation forums that the diet and exercise isn't working. Save yourself the trouble of another post for no reason and eat something before exercise.
    tigerpalm.jpg

You don't fully deplete glycogen stores while sleeping. The body burns fat for the most part. Glycogen depletion takes days of complete fasting, or severe carb restriction along with intense activity. Fat burning is occurring 24/7, even while glycogen is being used.

Exercising fasted vs fed is 100% personal preference. Nutrient and meal timing makes no difference from a biological perspective. Daily and weekly totals matter, the order you do them don't.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've done both...I say just do what works for you! :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Exercising fasted vs fed is 100% personal preference. Nutrient and meal timing makes no difference from a biological perspective. Daily and weekly totals matter, the order you do them don't.

Depends if you mean in general or for sport and deloading carbs etc from muscle ;)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Depends if you mean in general or for sport and deloading carbs etc from muscle ;)
    That's the personal preference part. :drinker:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    ...take my fat burners...
    Dr. Oz says...
    ...you'll destroy your hard work with fasted cardio...

No...no...AAAAAAAnd, NO!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Is it good or bad to exercise on empty stomach? for example i wake up, take my fat burners, water and workout. then eat afterwards. should i eat first or it dont matter?

It's fine to work out on an empty stomach. That's pretty much the only way I can workout, because I always work out early in the morning. But definitely take in water during your workout, and get in a good meal afterward.

You actually burn more calories when you work out in a fasting state - it's not a ton more, but every bit counts.