Avocados!

Options
I keep wanting to try avocados but to be honest they scare me because I'm afraid they'll push me over my calorie limit. Do you have any good recipes/ideas to use avocados?

Replies

• sarahdee2007
    Options
    Bump
  • MargaretPetersBergen
    Options
    They are great in sandwiches, tacos, wraps and as a part of a garden salad! Hope this helps.
  • mrcreach
    mrcreach Posts: 5
    Options
    I like to add sliced avocados to a salad with lemon squeezed and a dash of garlic powder.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    They sell the single serving wholly guacamole packs which have 100 cals per pouch. I would suggest try that first, if you are concerned about the cals. OF course you can always weigh whole avocados on a scale before eating to better estimate cals (remove skin and pit of course).
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    They sell the single serving wholly guacamole packs which have 100 cals per pouch. I would suggest try that first, if you are concerned about the cals. OF course you can always weigh whole avocados on a scale before eating to better estimate cals (remove skin and pit of course).

I'm eating a packet of wholly guacamole as I write this lol! I love it. I spread it on chips if I have the calorie wiggle room or like tonight I'm eating it as a post-workout snack so I'm eating it out of the package with a spoon haha.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I like to put a quarter of an avocado on a spicy black bean burger. It cuts the heat and since you're not eating meat, the calories are lower!
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    plain avocados :love:
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    I slice up a quarter of it also, and put it onto a pita pizza I make! Mmmmmm!!! Taco pita pizza..... Roast beef..... Chicken...... Ground beef....... Veggie..... Absolutely anything! Amazing and avocado makes it look and taste great :)
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I make avacado salad with dinner to serve as a fruit/veggie and instead of using a carb. I pit/peel then smash it. Add lime, a tad of pepper, along with sliced coconut, green grapes, and strawberries. Comes out to about 300 calories, but it is healthy and uber filling! I highly suggest it :)
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i love love love avacados- i eat 1/2 to a whole one almost everyday and it hasnt stalled my weight loss. What i do is weigh them. they are 50 calories an ounce. so i look for the smaller ones whne buying them because i know that half of a small one is about an ounce. Most whole ones are 2-2.2 ounces. so a whole one would be the same calories as teh wholy guacamole & i prefer teh real deal but thats up to you. I use half for my lunch on a flatbread cracker or on a sandwich or in my salad or on a burger or taco for dinner. you just cut in half and pull apart and store the half with the pit ( keeps it fresh longer) in a bagie in the fridge. they stay good till at least the next day. its sooo good and i feel better knowing that they have healthyfat and loaded in minerals and antixoidents- much better than the mayo i used to slab on my food and healtier too. its not hard to fit in your calorie goals & lets be real no one got to their high weight eating plain avacados lol
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mash/blend with a little lemon or lime juice and salt. Spread on a sandwich instead of mayo. Or in addition to, if you've got the calories to spare.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My best advice about avocados is to eat them! Lol I don't care how you eat them, just do it! They are one of my all time favorite foods and the fat is the fat you need and will keep you from feeling hungry :) Sometimes I eat an entire avocado in one day and still stay under. A half an avocado is a fabulous snack for only 150 cals. They are also high in fiber, have more potassium than bananas and are a good source of iron for women! I <3 them can ya tell :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I make avacado salad with dinner to serve as a fruit/veggie and instead of using a carb. I pit/peel then smash it. Add lime, a tad of pepper, along with sliced coconut, green grapes, and strawberries. Comes out to about 300 calories, but it is healthy and uber filling! I highly suggest it :)

That sounded fab and tropical... Two things I want to be this summer, so I will eat that :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Tomato and avocado salad

Cut up a tomato, cut up an avocado maybe add some onion if you like. Pour 2 tsps of lemon juice on it and enjoy. It's surprisingly delicious.
  • KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    you dont want to eat a lot of avacado's its healthy fat but just because it is a healthy fat doesn't mean you can eat as much as you want and not gain weight. you want to mostly have avacado's in your last meal and about half I would say is the most you should have in one day. I say put it with the last meal is because that is what your body will feed on when you are sleeping giving your body fuel to burn, and not go into starvation mode.
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    Avocados are awesome on sandwiches and wraps....even breakfast sandwich and wraps!
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love em, but eat them sparingly. Typically, I'll throw a little in a sandwich or eat alone or on some sort of lettuce wrap (like chicken, avocado and red bell pepper).

Edit: Forgot to add that I sometimes throw them on an omelet.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    Mango and avocado salad. Chop both, add some sliced red onion and lime juice. Yummo!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    With a spoon and a little bit of sea salt is my favorite way. I also like them in smoothies (makes them super creamy), in salads, on a sandwich and of course guacamole. My favorite lunch is either a chicken breast or tilapia loin (cooked in whatever fashion you desire; grilled, baked, etc) Cut up half an avocado into bite sized chunks and put that and mango salsa over the chicken/fish. So good!!!
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    straight up! they may be high in cals and fat but they are natural and good for you, well worth eating! I eat at least two a week (one half at a time) YUMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!