Avocados!

Options

Replies

• Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    All the above....they are great and their fat content is 'good' too, helps balance cholesterol. Full of good and taste excellent!:happy:
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    go here!!!!
    www.AvocadoCentral.com

LOTS of recipes from the Haas website
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    plain avocados :love:

^ This :love:
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Avocados are my new love!! I add them to sandwiches and also just started cutting up 1/2 avocado and 2 hard boiled eggs together...yummy!!! :)
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados with my eggs and on a BLT.

I spread half an avocado on a tortilla or flat bread, sprinkled with a little chili powder, cumin and lime juice, a couple slices of canadian bacon and a fried egg.

I am having ABLT tonight, avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato(no mayo).
  • Jgen62
    Jgen62 Posts: 66
    Options
    I add 1/4 to my Fruit smoothie you can't even taste the avocado(1cup strawberry, bueberry, raspberryand half banana,1cup vanilla yogurt,1/4 almond milk, 1 tsp flaxseed meal) yummy=]
  • tntshenuski
    Options
    bump
  • Iwillbe130
    Options
    Avocados are not making people fat, No one should be scared of vegetables in their natural state.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    A slced avocado on a grilled hamburger is really good! Also with a BLT or turkey club type sandwich.
    Just by itself with a little lemon and a bit of salt!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I just have half and thats around 140 calories. I cut it up into little cubes and eat it with a little salt. Or I spread some low fat cream cheese on a crispbread and then put some avocado cubes on that. It isn't that high calorie and is really really good for you :)
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    Biggest Loser Avocado Pesto

1/2 ripe avocado, pitted and diced
    1/4 cup fresh basil leaves or italian parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped chives
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/3 cup hot water
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or parsley(optional)

Place the avocado, basil or parsley, chives, Parmesan, garlic, salt, pepper, and hot water in a blender and process until smooth, turning the blender off and on occasionally and adding a tablespoon or two of additional hot water if needed. There will be between 1/2 and a 3/4 cup of pesto.

They use this with spaghetti squash and it's awesome, but I also like it on whole wheat pasta. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

This is the nutritional info for the pesto with the spaghetti squash: Makes 6 servings

Per serving: 60 calories, 2 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 230 mg sodium

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/biggest-loser-simple-swaps-spaghetti-squash-avocado-pesto/4-a-106846#ixzz1t4fRuUdM
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love the wholly Guacamole on a Turkey Sandwich, I just use a bit instead of mayo or mustard. YUM!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to figure out how to post a new thread so I could learn more about Avocados and wham there it was!

So can you all tell me how to open it? I've never cut one up before and it does look kind of scary. haha Also, how can you tell they're ripe when you're in the store and trying to pick them out?
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I get avocados, I only eat 1/4 of them a day, which is nice because it lasts for 4 days! Usually it's small to medium at most.

Also I used this video, and I think his method works well!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrUXRPgWrW4
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, bump!
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    plain avocados :love:

^^this - YUM!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Avocados are not making people fat, No one should be scared of vegetables in their natural state.

Avocado = Fruit, not vegetable :wink:

But yes, I agree with this completely!
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Avocados are full of good fats that your body needs to lose weight. Don't worry about going over your calorie limit to eat one. They are soooo healthy and good for you!
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to figure out how to post a new thread so I could learn more about Avocados and wham there it was!

So can you all tell me how to open it? I've never cut one up before and it does look kind of scary. haha Also, how can you tell they're ripe when you're in the store and trying to pick them out?

Buy them when they're green, this is when they're not ripe. The reason being is that when they become ripe, they become softer, as they become softer they're more likely to get bruised. So it's better to get them early and they're less likely to get bruised in your home than the store. When they become ripe they will change color from a dark purple to almost black. You can also test the ripeness/softness by holding the avocado in your hand and pressing your fingers--but not your finger tips because that can cause bruising--and the avocado should have some "give" to it, compared to the unripe that will be firm.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Avocados are soooooo good for you! I use them in place of mayo, I'll throw a slice into a smoothie to make it creamy, or blend it into salad dressing to make that creamy as well. Avocado is filled with good fats and we NEED fat in our diet.