Wow - Maple Syrup actually good for diabetics!

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    theres a sugar free syrup by josephs its awesome. it taste like maple syrup to me.
    The sweet ingredient in this syrup is maltitol, which has a glycemic index of 52, sugar(glucose) has a GI of 60. Basically it is expensive sugar. Also, it stops your diet loss and can have a laxative effect. Maltitol has 3 calories per gram, sugar is 4 calories per gram. They are both carbohydrates. The info comes from about.com.

For my money, maple syrup is still the syrup of choice for me.

I suggest you do a little bit better research than about.com. Glucose is usually the reference food for the GI index which would give it a rating of 100, if white bread is the reference glucose has a rating of 140ish. Not that that is very relevant to non diabetics
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    theres a sugar free syrup by josephs its awesome. it taste like maple syrup to me.
    What are they using for the sweetener, Most all artificial sweeteners have serious side effects, an unhealthy brew to say the least.

its sold at whole foods market where i work so none at all
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What are they using for the sweetener, Most all artificial sweeteners have serious side effects, an unhealthy brew to say the least.

its sold at whole foods market where i work so none at all
    Really, you're claiming they sell a sugar-free syrup with no sweetener of any kind?