Did anyone NOT have a weight problem as a child?

Options

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Not really. I was always a little bigger than most of the girls my age, but I always attributed that to my frame / height. I did get rather chubby when I was in 4th grade, due to too much junk food and sodas. My mom cut down my sodas to 1 a day and stopped buying as much junk food. That resulted in me slimming down quite a bit, and as I became a teenager I leveled out even more. I didn't start gaining weight in excess until after I had my son. I lost most of the pregnancy weight within the first year after giving birth and got back down to 140lbs from 176lbs (when I was 9 months pregnant). But yeah, I gradually continued to put weight on after about 4 years of maintaining 140lbs. Just became less active, more depressed, and didn't care anymore. I wouldn't say it was genetics at all for me, just activity and eating habits.
  • kamazza
    kamazza Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nope, never ever had a problem. Was three months pregnant with my first and still weighed only 111lbs :) However, I ended up off sick with my first for the last 4 months and the weight piled on. Three kids all together, and 7 years of marriage, have seen my weight creep up higher and higher. I'm 33 and it's not easy to lose the weight anymore. I hope by jump-starting the metabolism and the regular proper eating will help bring my weight down to a more sustainable level. I know I'll never see 110 lbs again (that wasn't a super healthy weight anyhow for me) but I have hopes that I can see 130lbs :)
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    Never ever had any problems up until 20/21 when I had my son. Never worked out and ate everything I wanted when I wanted.

So the weight I'm fighting is my pregnancy weight, its been off, on and now its nearly off again
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I was skinny until about 19, than I packed on 70lbs. And ever since than its a battle, found out I have hypothyroid :(

23. 40lbs. Same story.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a weight problem until I got married. My husband loves to cook and he cooks heavy food. I am not eating it now, but it did take it's toll. I was always in great shape and the right size for my frame. My family doesn't treat me any differently that I have noticed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, I never had a weight problem as a child, teen or young adult. I grew up in the 60's and 70's when it was rare for children to be overweight. It was only when I got older and stopped being active that I gained weight. I didn't notice anyone treating my differently when I gained, but I was not obese and by that time overweight was pretty much the norm in America.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    All throughout school and right up until I had my first child I was thin. Then, BAM, Prego weight that didn't want to come off.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem until I graduated from college and took an 8-5 desk job with a 90-minute commute on both ends of the day! I stopped exercising, I started eating quick/easy junk and my lifestyle became completely sedentary. I got fat pretty fast!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I was on the skinny side. When I turned 18 and started college and birth control I gained some but was still active and walked all over. I started gaining after college up until I had my first son, then dropped a bunch, gained slowly until I had # 2, dropped a bunch, went back up, back down, and way back up-to my highest weight (194 or so) and now am on the way back down. :)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I never did. I remember at 13 my brother told me I was going to be a "thick" girl. And I am. And not "I'm fat but I'm going to call it thick" lol I'm just thick. But before puberty, I was a stick!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No. Cuz I didn't have videogames and internet. So I felt compelled to play outside and run and frolic.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was perfectly fine until I started having children. Then, instead of losing the pregnancy weight, I put more on! About 8 years ago I lost a lot of it but didn't keep it off, so here I am, on mfp :)
  • pyororon
    pyororon Posts: 22
    Options
    I've always been very skinny. It took a huge amount of effort to put on all the weight I have done (being on complete bed-rest for 6 weeks and eating nothing but cakes, fries, milkshakes, ice cream etc every day). It's quite a fight losing it now though. Hope I haven't wrecked myself too much :x
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i couldn't gain a lb in HS, skinny as a rail.............fortunately college and budlight fixed that problem real quick!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I THOUGHT I had a weight problem as a teen. I was significantly insecure (did I say was. . . ) and every single one of my high school friends were about 2 inches or more shorter than me (I'm only 5'5") and they were like size 1 or 3. . . I was an 8/10. Always curvier and always "bigger".

Turns out, stress eating as an adult and pregnancy were my real weight demons. Now that I'm back in control, I am trying to root out the stress eating, and there will be no more pregnancies!! I'm below my high school weight, but I'm stronger than I ever was back then AND I have my kiddos!!

Win- WIN!!!
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Nope, I was very skinny as a kid and then high school came and I gained a few unnecessary pounds. Just trying to lose them and tone up a bit.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i was very thin. i was a size two at 20 years old. you can pop over to my profile and look at my pics if you want to see the crazy difference. mine was also medical. but PCOS not thyroid.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    No childhood weight problem. Played outside way too much for that. Inherited a high metabolism. But I was never FIT, NEVER. And that's what I want more than anything. I don't care about the number anymore. I just want to be fit.

This is pretty much me. I never had a weight problem. I got a little chubby at 12 right before I hit a growth spurt, but I was always small but never athletic or remotely fit. Despite this I had a 23 inch waist in college. After college, I gained a little weight, and I was still soft and definitely skinny fat. I got in pretty good shape a few years ago and then went back to school where I packed on about 20 lbs (with small dips due to yo yo dieting in the meantime). Now I just want to be fit and comfortable in my body.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I was tiny until college --- laziness and alcohol
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Yes! Skinny until I hit my 30's, then packed on 50-60 pounds!