LADIES ONLY*** IUD input to switch or not to switch

Options
Hello Ladies,
I am thinking about switching from Mirena (hormone) IUD to the Paragaurd (copper) I have had the Mirena for 5 years and times for a replacement. Based on a suggestion my endocrinologist made I am thinking about switching to non-hormonal IUD to help with weight gain. I have gained about 15lbs over the past 2 years plus I stopped smoking. The Dr. says the hormone contraceptive could be the cause as to why I have a very difficult time losing weight. I am concerned about the side effects with the copper IUD of severe bleeding since I currently have no period with mirena (no bleeding) and I love not being bothered with a period.

So ladies please tell me you experiences about either IUD. If you have make the switch was it easier to lose weight after? If you have the copper IUD how is your monthly cycle?
All suggestions and comments welcome regarding the topic

Replies

• FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I've had a merena for a year and a half, and gained weight right after. But I was able to lose 20 lbs, then gained 10 back when I stopped counting calories. For me, it doesn't seem to be effecting my ability to lose weight, but then again, I'm still 20+ pounds from my goal...
  • jules1202
    jules1202 Posts: 65
    Options
    I didn't have any problem with gaining weight with Mirena but I had other issues.

I say its worth a shot to try the copper. I have a number of friends with the paraguard and they haven't notices a significant difference in periods from their normal level. If it gives you problems you can always get it removed.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I have a copper IUD. I didn't gain any weight nor is it stopping me from losing weight though it did increase my cramping severely for the first year. It's still worse than it used to be now, but not enough for me to get it removed.

Just so you know, it HURT to get it put in. It hurt a LOT. I have a very high pain tolerance, but I was incapacitated for three days.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I've used both and I would do the mirena again in a heartbeat (can't due to hormonal issues) but I got the paraguard out after 1 1/2 years. It was horrible. TMI time: I had clots the size of silver dollars, heavy bleeding for 2 weeks, and had severe PMS for the week before (worse than I've ever had it- I felt so rage filled and almost crazy). I felt good for maybe 1 week out of the month. I know some women love the copper iud but I am so thankful I got it out and will never do it again. I also had no period or other symptoms with the mirena so I was hoping the paraguard wouldn't be too bad for me. Also, I was able to lose weight with the mirena but struggled with the paraguard. I think that was due to PMS and period cravings (they were really bad). This was just my experience, you may have no problems with it.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I went from a copper (which was awesome except for bad period cramps) to the Mirena, which was horrible and I had taken out at about 6 months. Weight gain, mood swings and spotting every single day. If I were to get one again it would be horomone free for sure!
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, it HURT to get it put in. It hurt a LOT. I have a very high pain tolerance, but I was incapacitated for three days.

Thanks for that info b/c I can't afford to be out of commision for three days and I myself have a high tolerence for pain too!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I switched from the Pill to copper IUD about 3 years ago. The only change I noticed was an increase in flow and PMS (which were both negligable on the Pill), but I wouldn't call it severe bleeding, it's still a normal flow. I'm pretty sure my cycle got longer, too. But it's not anything I would consider a side effect-- I think all those changes are worth it to let my body naturally do its thing.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have the Paraguard. From what my doctor told me, the Mirena's hormones are centralized in the uterus so the side effects from hormonal birth control that has to get into your blood stream aren't supposed to happen (weight gain or help with acne). The only side effects are lighter periods and possible cysts on the uterus.

My experience has been pretty good. My periods are heavier than they were -- but not horrible. I can't really blame the IUD on this with 100% certainty. First, I've delivered 2 babies and second, I'm comparing my current periods with periods before my pregnancies when I was on oral birth control so it's pretty much apples and oranges.

Next time (in another 7 years), I may go with the Mirena to have lighter periods because gah, that time of the month is an effing pain in the a/ss!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Thanks for that info b/c I can't afford to be out of commision for three days and I myself have a high tolerence for pain too!

It really hurt to have it inserted, but the doc gave me valium and vicoden before the procedure, and a few more vicoden for the next day. I had the procedure on a Friday morning, got home and slept all afternoon, took it easy Saturday and Sunday, and was fine to go to work on Monday.

Supposedly if you've already had kids it doesn't hurt so much to get it inseterted. Good luck!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Oops, I meant to comment on this too. I honestly don't even remember it hurting at all? I *did* deliver a baby 8 weeks before but even then, the PA putting it in had trouble and went and got the dr and even then, it was more of a PITA than painful. I'm pretty sure I went back to work.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had the paraguard for all of about 4 months. I hurt like He!! to get it in and it hurt worse every month. The cramps got progressively worse every time until I finally had to have the thing removed after about four months. I would NOT repeat the experience. Ever.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Like the poster above, the only problems I had with the copper IUD was the length of my periods increased (from 5 to 7 days) and I had a much heavier flow. I had to be changing pads regularly. But the pain to put it in wasn't as intense as someone mentioned above (and I have a LOW pain threshold according to my nurse), and I certainly wasn't incapacitated for 3 days. I would put it in again, and probably will soon since I don't want anymore children right now.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My body has always hated hormones. I had a paraguard for a total of 13 years. My periods didn't change when I had it inserted. There was the usual slightly more cramping for the first month or two but nothing much worse than my normal (which was pretty bad).

After 10 years I had it replaced. About 3 years into that is when I started having problems. I started bleeding very heavily during my periods. At the time, my dr. wasn't sure why but thought that maybe we should try removing it and see if that improved. I switched to a nuva ring which helped the bleeding. Shortly after that, my insurance changed and I had to change drs. After a few months on the nuva ring I started to date a man who was fixed. I ultimately married him and obviously birth control didn't matter so I quit using the nuva ring.

Within the last few years I started bleeding terribly and ultimately it turned out I had fibroids, adenomyosis, and adhesions which were all removed a few months ago along with my uterus. My surgeon thinks that the fibroids and the iud were fighting for space and not playing well together so the bleeding really had more to do with the fibroids than the iud.

Hormones can affect different people in different ways. For me, any form of hormonal stuff will cause me to bloat, be depressed, throw up, sleep all kinds of bad stuff. For my step daughter, getting BC shot caused her to balloon up about 100 lbs over the last 2.5 years. She went from being pretty skinny to obese and it started when the shots started. The dr. just put a Mirena in, hoping the lower dose of hormones will help her lose weight. She just made the switch and wasn't due for her next shot until May so it hasn't done anything yet.

When I had the paraguard put in I had already had 2 kids and beyond a little discomfort it was fine. I was with my stepdaughter when she had the Mirena put in and she was in much more pain but she has never had children. The paraguard also didn't affect my weight so it will hopefully return your body back to where it was before.
  • Mistykelly
    Mistykelly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the copper, have for 6 1/2 years and have no regrets. I have not had weight gaining problems with it, heavier periods I have been told are due to the copper, sometimes even 2 a month but love copper however no problems with weight gain.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have the copper (Paraguard) IUD and it's one of the best decisions I ever made. I love having no extra hormones added to the already messy soup of hormones in my body! I do have a heavier period now than I did when I was on BCP, but it's well worth the improvements in everything--from my mood to my sex drive--I've seen since getting the IUD. I've had absolutely no complications, and yes, it was slightly uncomfortable to have inserted, but no big deal, really. Can't recommend it enough!
  • bailey0528
    bailey0528 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the copper IUD for almost 3 years now. I experienced heavier periods than before...was on the pill before children. My doctor told me that being on the copper is considered what a "normal" period would be for me without birth control....I had to think back almost 20 years to remember that time :) My periods have been more stable now...still some heavy days, but only lasts 4 days (same as it did when I was on the pill). I wanted to be hormone free...still have 7 years left to decide my next step. I did not notice any weight issues from having the IUD. Good luck!
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have had the Paraguard (copper) IUD for 5 years now. I *love* it. I have never had Mirena, so I can't comment on that one. Hormonal BCPs messed me up psychologically when I was on them. I'll never go the hormonal route again.

I have always had heavy periods and my IUD hasn't changed the flow at all. They are not heavy enough to make my iron levels drop (I'm a meat eater, though). I get my iron tested about once a year and there have never been any issues. I think I get enough iron in my diet to avoid any problems.

I used to have severe, debilitating cramping before Paraguard. For some reason my cramping completely disappeared once I put Paraguard in. There was that initial insertion cramping, of course, but that subsided with time. I am over the moon happy that I've been completely cramp-free for 5 years now. I have no idea how or why that happened for me because doctors say that flow and cramping tend to worsen with an IUD like this one. Neither issue occured in my case. *shrug* Maybe the Paraguard is responsible for my lack of cramping, or maybe a change in my hormones, or age... I have no idea.

Everyone's experience will be different. I was terrified of putting a device in my uterus at first, but I'm glad I went for it. Two of my sisters now have an IUD and are very happy. :-)
  • saelrosa
    saelrosa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I am thinking about switching from Mirena (hormone) IUD to the Paragaurd (copper) I have had the Mirena for 5 years and times for a replacement. Based on a suggestion my endocrinologist made I am thinking about switching to non-hormonal IUD to help with weight gain. I have gained about 15lbs over the past 2 years plus I stopped smoking. The Dr. says the hormone contraceptive could be the cause as to why I have a very difficult time losing weight. I am concerned about the side effects with the copper IUD of severe bleeding since I currently have no period with mirena (no bleeding) and I love not being bothered with a period.

So ladies please tell me you experiences about either IUD. If you have make the switch was it easier to lose weight after? If you have the copper IUD how is your monthly cycle?
    All suggestions and comments welcome regarding the topic

hellow! i'm new here. well i've had the same problems for a long time, i've switched back and forward, but the trud is that all contraceptives made me gain weigth, some more some less, but i stoped, i know it's not the best desicion, but i was bloating. You should try and see what works for you.
  • tbolden82
    Options
    not sure why it hurt you.. but i have had both put in and its just like having a pap smear and a little cramping afterwards but not days worth.:happy:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I've only had the copper one (before I had kids, this was during my first marriage), and I had to have it removed because I was in almost-constant cramping pain...it was really bad during my TOM. I kept it in for a year then had enough. Granted, I'm one of those women who has always had painful periods. If your periods are normal, I say switch to the copper one. It didn't affect my weight at all.