LADIES ONLY*** IUD input to switch or not to switch

Options

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have no help with regards to IUD, but I did exactly the same things before, after, and during 4 months of taking the pill, I could only lose 5 pounds... I was hungry all the time and for some reason a calorie deficit couldn't overcome the hormones. I won't take a hormonal bc every again
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I am thinking about switching from Mirena (hormone) IUD to the Paragaurd (copper) I have had the Mirena for 5 years and times for a replacement. Based on a suggestion my endocrinologist made I am thinking about switching to non-hormonal IUD to help with weight gain. I have gained about 15lbs over the past 2 years plus I stopped smoking. The Dr. says the hormone contraceptive could be the cause as to why I have a very difficult time losing weight. I am concerned about the side effects with the copper IUD of severe bleeding since I currently have no period with mirena (no bleeding) and I love not being bothered with a period.

So ladies please tell me you experiences about either IUD. If you have make the switch was it easier to lose weight after? If you have the copper IUD how is your monthly cycle?
    All suggestions and comments welcome regarding the topic

I work in a reproductive healthcare clinic and all I do all day is educate others on their birth control options. My in house OB/GYN made it very clear to me that because the Mirena's hormones are localized and released slowly over an extended period of time it generally is NOT the cause of weight gain. (I only know this because I have one and was looking for something to blame my weight gain on) The Paragard does in fact INCREASE the flow on what your periods used to be prior to the Mirena. It also is common for cramping to increase with the Paragard. Every woman is different so all experiences are anectodal not gospel unfortunately. Only you and your Dr know your medical history, so it is definitely something to discuss in great detail with your Reproductive Healthcare Provider. Good Luck to you.
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had the copper IUD for 8 yrs and then removed it. It worked very well when it comes to preventing pregnancy, but I did not like frequent UTIs and bacteria infections. I removed my IUD and no longer have issues with the infections.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I had to have my Mirena taken out last month because it fell out of place. I would like to get another one put in next month simply because, this is the only BC that I have tried that has NOT resulted in weight gain.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If the Mirena is working for you, then stick with it. The hormones in the Mirena are localized in your uterus and only a very small amount gets into your blood stream so it shouldn't have a huge impact on your weight.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I work in a reproductive healthcare clinic and all I do all day is educate others on their birth control options. My in house OB/GYN made it very clear to me that because the Mirena's hormones are localized and released slowly over an extended period of time it generally is NOT the cause of weight gain. (I only know this because I have one and was looking for something to blame my weight gain on) The Paragard does in fact INCREASE the flow on what your periods used to be prior to the Mirena. It also is common for cramping to increase with the Paragard. Every woman is different so all experiences are anectodal not gospel unfortunately. Only you and your Dr know your medical history, so it is definitely something to discuss in great detail with your Reproductive Healthcare Provider. Good Luck to you.

Thanks for your input. I definately would like to blame something for my weight gain. I doubt this would be my magic fix it. I would still have to put in the hard work to get it off, maybe it would just be easier w/out hormones. But I will say this heavy cycle and cramping may not be the best choice for me. But I love hearing the input!
  • superdonna
    superdonna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena (this is my second one) and I am happy as a clam. Bleeding again? No thanks! If I have gained weight because of it, I am unaware. My unhealthy eating and sedentary lifestyle is the cause for mine. This is the best thing since sliced bread!!! Good luck! :)
  • ahoag_83
    ahoag_83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    From my experience as an OB/GYN nurse the doctor I worked with DID NOT recommend the paraguard due to long, heavy periods. The Mirena has a small amount of hormone that is localized in your uterus so really should not have that much impact on weight gain. I think it will be very difficult to go from NO PERIODS to HEAVY PERIODS.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am soooo glad to see all of these responses! I posted almost the exact same topic in one of my forum groups, but I haven't gotten any feedback yet. I have NEVER been on any type of birth control, so I'm a little leary about starting it. I know something I have to remember to take or put in is not an option. I plan to be ordering either Mirena or ParaGard at the end of this week. I'm really excited and at the same time nervous becasue of all of the *possible* side effects. I'm pretty sure I've made my decision as to which one. I just really hope I don't have of the adverse extreme side effects. I would expect some, but anything extreme would make me want to remove it and cause me to waste a lot of money!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have only heard horror stories from ladies with IUD's. My aunt had one and got pregnant anyway. My other aunts traveled and had to be surgically removed and my mom had to have a hysterectomy after hers because it did so much damage. More recently, my cousin had one and she was in daily pain with all sorts of complications she finally had it taken out and had an oblation which she brags to me about almost daily :) Apparently, she no longer has a period. Yes, I am very jealous.
  • MaritaD
    MaritaD Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a mirena now and I love it. For me a copper IUD means you could potentially get one of your eggs fertilized every month, and the fertilized egg just can't implant. In my mind I don't want to be basically having a mini abortion every month. The mirena stops you from ovulating, and stops your menstral flow (which is nice, especially in the summer!). I have lost all of my weight while on mirena. I lost a total of 40 lbs (not all of it with MFP) and I have 50 lbs more I want to lose. I don't think the mirena has hurt my efforts, when I eat clean and exercise consistantly I lose, when I slip up I don't lose.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Have you thought about an implant. I have implanon, its an arm implant that stays in your arm for 3 years. It is progesterone only, and I have not had it hinder my weight loss at all.They give you localized numbing medication to put in and it took less than 2 minutes. It just feels like a bruise for a couple of days afterwards, you barely notice its there. Sorry I just had to see b/c I love mine so much.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have a mirena now and I love it. For me a copper IUD means you could potentially get one of your eggs fertilized every month, and the fertilized egg just can't implant. In my mind I don't want to be basically having a mini abortion every month.
    This is my main concern with ParaGard. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. I'm so torn!!! They're both equally effective, last a long time, and can be taken out at any time. Mirena has hormones with potentially really unpleasant side effects (the one I'm most concerned about is mood swings). ParaGard is hormone-free with potentially really unpleasant side efffects (heavy, longer, more painful periods). Mirena has hormones that affect your cycle, which can be seen as both a pro and a con. ParaGard is hormone-free that allows you to continue to have a regular period (I personally like Mother Nature's way better, "Don't fix what ain't broke."). Mirena prevents pregnancy by totally preventing fertilization. ParaGard prevents pregnancy by not allowing a fertilized egg, if that were to happen, to implant (that kinda seems like a mini-abortion to me as well). I thought I'd made my mind up to go with ParaGard...now I'm back to not knowing what to do....sigh...:ohwell:
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Paragard isn't even covered on my insurance and my doctor stopped carrying them for a while because they couldn't "make money" on the product! So, for those who cannot or will not take hormones, not fair. Criminal.

From personal experience, some people are unable to handle hormones, and gain tons of weight, regardless of method. And if you have not had a child, inserting the IUD can be an excruciating experience.
  • julie9200
    julie9200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a mirena for 6 years now and love it! I did gain weight after it was inserted, but I’m not sure the mirena is to blame. I had a pretty drastic lifestyle change around that time where I went from high activity and fairly healthy eating to virtually no activity and very un-healthy eating. I went from having a period 21+ days a month to no periods within a year. The first one was virtually painless to insert, a little cramping at the time and I went back to work. The second time, I guess because I hadn’t had a period in so many years and my cervix wasn’t used to opening, it was a quite a bit more painful and I had cramping for a few days. But I’m still planning to replace my current one with another one when the time comes. I’ve never been able to use anything else hormonal before. BCP made me sick and now I can’t take them because of another medication I take and the depo shot was horrendous. I was originally worried about the hormones in the mirena, but I can’t say I’ve had any noticeable side effects from it.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    anyone been prescribed a medication to help with the inserting?
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My Mirena has been in for 5yrs first time and now 2 more years and I LOVE it!!!! Only had a period for the first two months and have not had one since. I have not had any side effects whatsoever and have no problem losing weight with it. For me it "pinched" when it was placed in and I never had a problem from that moment on.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I have the paragard. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I've had it for 6 months. Only side effect has been heavier periods. 5 days instead of 4. And it didnt hurt one bit getting it put in.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    i have had the copper twice now. the first time i bled... A LOT BUT it was put in wrong.
    this time i had a very heavy first day but actually bleed for about 1.5 days less than i used to. so i actually dont mind lol it makes it go by faster. :-) i do think its best for your body to have a period though so i personally wouldnt want something that took it away... i actually tried the non hormonal first because my family history of problems, and while i have not had any problems getting preggo i have heard of people that were like me, then used hormones and couldnt get preggo so i tried this first. i also like i can have it in 10 years. i (and its a LOT cheaper than the mirena)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a mirena for 6 years now and love it! I did gain weight after it was inserted, but I’m not sure the mirena is to blame. I had a pretty drastic lifestyle change around that time where I went from high activity and fairly healthy eating to virtually no activity and very un-healthy eating. I went from having a period 21+ days a month to no periods within a year. The first one was virtually painless to insert, a little cramping at the time and I went back to work. The second time, I guess because I hadn’t had a period in so many years and my cervix wasn’t used to opening, it was a quite a bit more painful and I had cramping for a few days. But I’m still planning to replace my current one with another one when the time comes. I’ve never been able to use anything else hormonal before. BCP made me sick and now I can’t take them because of another medication I take and the depo shot was horrendous. I was originally worried about the hormones in the mirena, but I can’t say I’ve had any noticeable side effects from it.

arent you supposed to switch it out every 5 years? thats what their brochure they sent me said