anyone recommend MFP to a friend trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• taylorgirl
    Options
    To everyone who thinks they're able to track calories acurate in their head and know exactly how many calories there are in everything they put in their mouth! It's amazing...and then they wonder why they're not losing any weight!
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes Ive had one or two of my friends say that but I cant say anything when my parents recommended the site to me I said the same thing for about a week and then caved to curiousity and havent looked back since! You have to be ready to make this change otherwise it doesnt work. I cant imagine ever going back now I only see myself going forward but I had to have the AHA moment and my friends I know arent there yet. They will be and when they are Ill be signing them up.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've recommended MFP to says the same thing: Keeping track of what they eat each day is too time consuming. My own husband, who really needs to lose weight for health reasons, refuses to join MFP for that very reason, however, he spends hours playing solitaire on the computer. My thought on those who find it to be too much of a chore to log daily food consumption is that they're not really serious about wanting to lose weight. Once you get serious, you will do ANYTHING necessary to bring down the pounds in a healthy manner. That's what I did!
  • tracyface399
    tracyface399 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have told only 2 people that I am on this site.(and only when I knew they wouldn't join) I like it that I am not friends with any of my "real life" friends on here. I don't know if anyone else feels that way, but that's me!
  • kmruse
    kmruse Posts: 19
    Options
    I have recommended this to my Mum, brother,daughter, son in law and 2 friends and apart from my brother they have all joined and can see it makes a difference....
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA! When my bf cooks I'm always asking him, what did you put it in? What's the name? How much did you put in, etc.... He has learned to leave the stuff out so I can scan the bottle or container it was in, LOL.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, its ridiculously easy.

AMEN..
  • jadashute08
    jadashute08 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes and I have only one friend that has actually signed up.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What tickles me is when people say they don't eat a lot or they eat "healthy," but have never even tracked their normal diet for a day.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think the true issue is that they just don't want to be accountable for keeping track of everything they actually ate. It's an excuse.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    I've been told it's "obsessive"...
    ive been told thats a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A co-worker noticed I was losing weight and asked how. I told her about MFP and she asked me to send her the link. I did, and she was all "Thank you, I'll check it out right now!!"

Several weeks later we were at lunch with some other people and talking about weight loss. SAME person asked me how I lost all the weight.
  • superdonna
    superdonna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. If your friends aren't ready to be honest with themselves, they don't weant to hear it from anyone else either. It's hard. Be true to yourself and try not to worry about others. Be a good example.
  • pandasmama3
    pandasmama3 Posts: 120
    Options
    Yes I have but they still haven't joined...I wish I would of listen to the girl who told me about it last month but I'm here now 7days in and loving it!!!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    OH YEAH!

I've recommended MFP to people and they usually grimace once I explain how it works. "I DO that" they usually respond. Well... if you're tracking your calories already you're clearly doing it wrong since it isn't working...

I should talk though. I haven't lost in two months. HAHA.
  • ehsquared
    ehsquared Posts: 42
    Options
    I've tried to introduce MPF to most of the ppl I know trying to stay healthy and either lose weight or stay active but it seems I'm really the only one who knows she needs the great support of this site. Wish I could convince ppl otherwise
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the Mrs. was not into it at all.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have told only 2 people that I am on this site.(and only when I knew they wouldn't join) I like it that I am not friends with any of my "real life" friends on here. I don't know if anyone else feels that way, but that's me!

I kinda do :) I mean, you're sharing a pretty private part of your life. People see when hiure working out, how often youre logging, exactly what youre eating... It can all be a little tmi lol. If someone truly want s to know what I'm doing because they think it might help them, I will tell them. And in the beginning I Really recommended this site to a couple of people trying to lose weight, but I also got the response that they didn't have the time. I really hope they have luck with their efforts I do. I honestly think though this is the best way. I see myself using this site for many years to come AFTER I've reached my goal weight because I LOVE tracking my nutrition and activity!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    A co-worker noticed I was losing weight and asked how. I told her about MFP and she asked me to send her the link. I did, and she was all "Thank you, I'll check it out right now!!"

Several weeks later we were at lunch with some other people and talking about weight loss. SAME person asked me how I lost all the weight.

Lol
  • Testosterone
    Options
    I've tried to introduce MPF to most of the ppl I know trying to stay healthy and either lose weight or stay active but it seems I'm really the only one who knows she needs the great support of this site. Wish I could convince ppl otherwise

the calorie tracking is a lot more important than the site itself. its you who has to stick to your diet. i only started posting here about 2 weeks ago, been using MFP app for over 6 months.