OK, Here's the secret......

Options
I've had many of you contact me asking me questions about this and that. Whether it comes to diet, exercise, a combination of the sort. I don't claim to be THE expert, but I want to slowly maybe try to provide some good information for those who keep struggling, or feeling hopeless, down, not seeing results, etc.

I urge you, if you are already seeing results, then by all means, keep with what you're doing. This is for the rest of you:

I'm going to paraphrase a story I once read:

Sitting in a quiet room, I find the perfect metaphor for what we, as humans, do to ourselves so often. A few feet away breaking the silence, is the tapping against a window from a fly determined to find its way to the outside. It knows only its goal, but does not realize that it can never muster enough force to break through the barrier that stands between itself and the outside world it so desperately desires. Ten feet away, the door is open. All this struggling creature has to do is to turn from its current, futile attack at the invisible barrier, and it would achieve its goal of freedom. But, alas, it will not...and there it will eventually die on the window sill, because it wouldn't change its course.

That story fits so well doesn't it? I keep reading people's frustrations with doing this, doing that, working out for two hours everyday, eating 1000 calories, not seeing results. Plateaus, burn outs, and just loss of faith.....

Don't be the fly!!!!!! Change it!!! DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!! It doesn't take a scientist to understand that what you're doing isn't working when you fail to see results.... but so many of us want to beat ourselves to death against that invisible barrier.

People ask me... "How do you get arms?" "How can I shed fat?" ..... and some of them, when I give them advice, all they can do is doubt, doubt, doubt..... and that's ok, unless you really DO want to make a change.

I challenge you all, those who are struggling, to CHANGE SOMETHING! It doesn't have to be overly drastic right away.... but do some research, find out what the real experts say... that's what I did.

I, like many of you, spent mountains of time (too much) in the gym.... I too, didn't understand some sound nutrition principles... but I studied, I changed my thinking, and I am extremely proud of the body I have.

Now, here's the shocker --- I take at least 2 days off a week.... period. I don't spend more than 10 minutes working my arms, and I can maintain what I have with only 3 half-hour weight sessions a week if I don't desire to grow anymore.... Quit thinking that 9 hours of workouts and less calories than my 9 year old eats in a day is going to yield the results you are looking for.....

I urge you, all of you who say you give up, can't do it anymore, are losing faith, hit a plateau..... stop what you're doing. Take a week off.... YES, A WHOLE WEEK!!! Do not run, do not lift a weight, do not do any activity that is intentional exercise. And with this new "down time" for that week, find some resources and read, read, read.

I know sometimes it doesn't make sense.... we always think MORE is better.... well, in some cases, LESS is more.... Guys, grab a Men's Health Mag..... stop wasting your time on FLEX.... Women, do the same -- Women's Health, Shape, whatever. Spend the $5, and invest in your future. Stop buying into the concept that you have to spend a mountain of time to do this. Realize that it's much simpler than that. Realize that our bodies can, and WILL respond to the right changes, the right nutrition, the right exercise, and BELIEVE in what you read.... if nothing else, just TRY IT! If you're not getting anywhere where you are now, then how can it possibly hurt to try something new??

I sit in amazement everyday at some of the posts, and I feel for you... I really do. I know it must be miserable to do all this and watch some people succeed while you struggle and that's all it feels like you're doing. But I promise.... changes can be made that will get you your results, and I promise you that if you will just slow down life a little bit, invest in some knowledge, you can take it so very far, and start working smarter.

I know it works, because I've been there. I understand. I get it. I promise.

I wish you nothing but success, and I know there's a better "us" in all of us.

:drinker:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Nice:flowerforyou:
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    woohoo!!!!!:smile:
  • sapphire092170
    Options
    Cheers! Well said...

150390.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted a thread. :flowerforyou:

What you're saying is completely true. I was the same way until you came to me with help last month. You've helped me out a lot. I haven't been on a plateau since. :happy:
  • indianagranny
    Options
    very well said - thank you
  • soon2bemrsott
    Options
    You said the truth so well, thank you :wink:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not I done mind taking some days off I only worked out 3days this week and Im on vaction from my job, And I zigzag my intake,just splurhing. And Im still seeing results, I shake my head to when I see all these post about during 3-6 hours at the gym ,just overly doing, and hes right sometimes less is better. Idk thats just my opinion I agree with you well said hands down no questions ask?
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO WHAT THIS GUY SAYS!

I was one of those people that sent him messages asking for help and every single bit of advice has helped me get what I wanted to get. He knows what he's talking about and is really sincere about helping you when you ask for it.

Just want to say thanks bro, you've already helped me immeasurably.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    this is great and SO VERY TRUE!! !! as my psych tells me " if nothing ever changes, you will always get the same results"!!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    well said...

but i would opt out of women's health. i thought it was an awful magazine. shape has been getting great reviews on here.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I needed to see this right now. I have been teetering back and forth for a few months. Finally I have gotten down, beating my head on a that damn glass for sure......so I lowered my cal intake and I am changing my diet (with help from my hypnotist-long story). So we shall see,

great job.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bumping for Sunday reading
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    I'm glad you posted a thread. :flowerforyou:

What you're saying is completely true. I was the same way until you came to me with help last month. You've helped me out a lot. I haven't been on a plateau since. :happy:

that's awesome! i'm excited for you!!! congrats -- and don't forget to keep me up to date!!!
  • mfinney
    Options
    LISTEN TO WHAT THIS GUY SAYS!

I was one of those people that sent him messages asking for help and every single bit of advice has helped me get what I wanted to get. He knows what he's talking about and is really sincere about helping you when you ask for it.

Just want to say thanks bro, you've already helped me immeasurably.

thanks, aaron.... i'm happy to help anytime. i appreciate your kindness.
  • Blindhiker
    Blindhiker Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you
    I am glad I took the time to read this post!!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post Finn......some sound advice/points
    :flowerforyou:

P.S. I still think you are super human though....just fess up :wink: :tongue:
  • mfinney
    Options
    Thanks for the post Finn......some sound advice/points
    :flowerforyou:

P.S. I still think you are super human though....just fess up :wink: :tongue:

:laugh: :laugh: don't i wish!!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Great post Matt! :wink: :drinker:
  • mfinney
    Options
    Great post Matt! :wink: :drinker:

thanks tam! :)