OK, Here's the secret......

Options

Replies

• betheranne
    betheranne Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you for this.

And that point about understanding nutrition, so very important. I have a long way to go, but I'm learning.

Nutrition is why I quit going to the WW meetings I used to attend. It became a group of people who spent the meeting talking about how the find the most crap/junk food for the least amount of points. :huh: That wasn't why I was paying $10 a week. I want to change my life. Now I'm reading Clean Eating magazine, and will pick up another book someone recommended here as soon as the 8 people in front of me at the library are finished with it! :smile:
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    Thank you for this.

And that point about understanding nutrition, so very important. I have a long way to go, but I'm learning.

Nutrition is why I quit going to the WW meetings I used to attend. It became a group of people who spent the meeting talking about how the find the most crap/junk food for the least amount of points. :huh: That wasn't why I was paying $10 a week. I want to change my life. Now I'm reading Clean Eating magazine, and will pick up another book someone recommended here as soon as the 8 people in front of me at the library are finished with it! :smile:

that is awesome! i know exactly what you mean about WW :laugh: not to be mean, but i've never seen a bigger joke in my life i don't think than that.... my grandma was avid about it, and knew right down to how many cookies she should have at the end of the day before bed.... she never lost a pound

i hope you find some good information and research and discover a way of eating that is not only healthy, but truly beneficial to you to help you achieve all your goals.

best of luck! :drinker:
  • ozarkcontessa
    Options
    Awesome... Analogy... so simple... but yet change is almost the scarriest word in the dictionary...
    Have you read the very small book.... Who moved my cheese? I think you will find this thirty minute read is exactly what you are talking about... I am motivate now, because it is working, however, I will keep in mind what works now, won't work later... I have been here before... this time it is a life time change!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
  • mfinney
    Options
    Awesome... Analogy... so simple... but yet change is almost the scarriest word in the dictionary...
    Have you read the very small book.... Who moved my cheese? I think you will find this thirty minute read is exactly what you are talking about... I am motivate now, because it is working, however, I will keep in mind what works now, won't work later... I have been here before... this time it is a life time change!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

i have absolutely read that book. they also have a video of it now on youtube....LOL pretty neat. simple, yet practical reminder of some good truths!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Great post Matt! :wink: :drinker:

thanks tam! :)
    You're welcome! :smile:

It's all so right too. I hate seeing people stress out trying to do what they think they should be doing and then quitting when something doesn't work for their body the way it did for someone else. It is often just trial and error to figure out what will work and taking the time to get in tune with your body.

I know it CAN be frustrating and I have been there too...but once I took a deep breath and just chilled.......is when I reached my goal...just because your body WILL catch up eventually as long as you treat it right and keep it guessing with exercise!! :wink:
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Matt! :flowerforyou:
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    NICE!! :flowerforyou:
  • mfinney
    Options
    thanks ladies! :drinker:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies! :drinker:

So, you're saying it's OK to get loaded now and then :wink:
    sweeeet

j/k everyone....
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Finn you are dead on proper! Thank so much.

I recently started using ARCtrainers in the gym, and dropped about 15 grams of fat from my diet on a daily basis and the results are remarkable.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    BUMP :happy:

Thanks again mfinney! (I weigh-in tomorrow so I'll def update you) :flowerforyou:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Great post- I subscribe to Oxygen, M&F Women and Women's Health-the latter is the boring one of the 3 at times, and also pick up Shape and other ones at times. I have made a HUGE binder of exercises for all your body parts, of all kinds of different exercises to do, and do 4-5 different ones /body part/ wk and mix them all up. I journal the weights I use, rep count and keep track of everything. I have learned a ton from these Mags and am like kid in the candy shop when I get them. VERY educational and have learned TONS of info and even taken a Fitness Theory course as it's become such a huge interest!
    Here's my prob...I struggle to eat clean. I don't like to cook, but know the proper food choices to make. (being a Nurse helps a ton). How can I maintain focus on the eating part of my life? It is so easy to be lead down the "refined sugar" path. :grumble: I try the motivational methods they recommend, but sometimes I cave and then binge.
    Right now my daughter (and 1/2 Marathon partner in the pic), tells me how aweful the food tastes and how gross and greasy it is, etc, when she sees me yearning for crap. She's a great help. (did you know that cinnamon buns taste like vomit, and that spring rolls are grease filled when you take a bite?):laugh: :laugh:
    Posts like yours is needed often to remind of us of the inspiration people like you, Tamm, Banks, Songbird,etc are, and such great motivation. Thanks Matt! :drinker: Hopefully my ideas might help others gain motivation also.:flowerforyou: Kath
  • apalesko
    apalesko Posts: 21
    Options
    Great post, thanks for taking the time to share this!
    Thank you for this.

that is awesome! i know exactly what you mean about WW :laugh: not to be mean, but i've never seen a bigger joke in my life i don't think than that.... my grandma was avid about it, and knew right down to how many cookies she should have at the end of the day before bed.... she never lost a pound

i hope you find some good information and research and discover a way of eating that is not only healthy, but truly beneficial to you to help you achieve all your goals.

best of luck! :drinker:

Aww, hey now, don't be too hard on WW! *Laugh* It all depends on the person. My mom started WW years ago, and became so incredibly healthy, happy, and confident because of it. If someone is calculating how much junk they can eat on WW and still be within their points, then obviously they aren't being serious. ^_- But there are plenty of people who take it to heart and really change their life. :) I think that can be said of any lifestyle change, honestly--there are the people who commit, and the people who half-heartedly give it a shot. Let's all be the former!
  • mfinney
    Options

So, you're saying it's OK to get loaded now and then :wink:
    sweeeet

j/k everyone....

well, some of us do it better than others Kim :wink: :laugh:
  • mfinney
    Options
    Great post- I subscribe to Oxygen, M&F Women and Women's Health-the latter is the boring one of the 3 at times, and also pick up Shape and other ones at times. I have made a HUGE binder of exercises for all your body parts, of all kinds of different exercises to do, and do 4-5 different ones /body part/ wk and mix them all up. I journal the weights I use, rep count and keep track of everything. I have learned a ton from these Mags and am like kid in the candy shop when I get them. VERY educational and have learned TONS of info and even taken a Fitness Theory course as it's become such a huge interest!
    Here's my prob...I struggle to eat clean. I don't like to cook, but know the proper food choices to make. (being a Nurse helps a ton). How can I maintain focus on the eating part of my life? It is so easy to be lead down the "refined sugar" path. :grumble: I try the motivational methods they recommend, but sometimes I cave and then binge.
    Right now my daughter (and 1/2 Marathon partner in the pic), tells me how aweful the food tastes and how gross and greasy it is, etc, when she sees me yearning for crap. She's a great help. (did you know that cinnamon buns taste like vomit, and that spring rolls are grease filled when you take a bite?):laugh: :laugh:
    Posts like yours is needed often to remind of us of the inspiration people like you, Tamm, Banks, Songbird,etc are, and such great motivation. Thanks Matt! :drinker: Hopefully my ideas might help others gain motivation also.:flowerforyou: Kath

that's awesome Kath! i'm glad to see you do your research and change things up to keep yourself going! kudos!!

as far as the food goes... here's my basic philosophy:

if you can't be nice to yourself about it, and you're still eating junk.....then it's time (in that department at least) to quit being your own best friend and be more kick-*kitten* drill sergeant -- you simply refuse to buy anything bad for you for one. it's not even an option. you REFUSE to go thru the drive-thru, you REFUSE to pick up a candy bar, a soda, whatever it is.... kick your own butt!!

take the next bad-for-you-and-you-know-it thing, and look at the fat content or sugar content, or both..... now put a spoonful of margarine and a heaping spoonful of sugar right next to each other.... would you go ahead and eat them like that??? probably not, and even the sight will make you sick to your stomach.... but that's what you're putting in your body. i can't really give you any other tricks, but i can tell you that, from experience, junk really does taste like junk when you eat healthy 95% of the time!

i do allow myself once every couple weeks to cave into some meal, no matter the calories, no matter the content, but only one meal every two weeks, and i schedule it... the rest of the time i stay on it. if i even consider anything else, i just think about cups of butter, lard, sugar... it keeps me away!!

best of luck
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    bump
    Hear ye! Hear ye!:drinker:
  • mfinney
    Options

Aww, hey now, don't be too hard on WW! *Laugh* It all depends on the person. My mom started WW years ago, and became so incredibly healthy, happy, and confident because of it. If someone is calculating how much junk they can eat on WW and still be within their points, then obviously they aren't being serious. ^_- But there are plenty of people who take it to heart and really change their life. :) I think that can be said of any lifestyle change, honestly--there are the people who commit, and the people who half-heartedly give it a shot. Let's all be the former!

you are right, and i promise i'm not picking on every WW participant, because for some it truly has been a life-saver... i'm just picking on the ones i know personally.

congrats to your mom, and congrats to you for all you are doing to live a healthy life!!
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Good Post....I subscribe to the same ideas about quality over quantity when it comes to working out. My Father-in-law who is a trainer and former power lifter has always stated that you don't need to be in the gym for hours on end to be healthy.
    I have recently chosen to make changes in my life little by little. This tends to make them stick. I do read a lot but you must also be careful about what you read.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Bump!.
    Great thread, and to add to my topics for reading later.

Thanks
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    Great post, Matt!! I have been like a roller coaster with my weight for the past several years. I do good for awhile, then I will backslide.
    I have a family of five, so buying healthy food is really expensive (especially now, since I am the only one that has income coming in). I don't buy junk food, like chips-cookies, but I tend to buy things like hamburger helper--easy on the budget and the kids love it. I know, I know---this is not very healthy for any of us, but what can poor people do? Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm a mom with a low budget and in debt to my eyeballs right now! :sad: