Any one else struggle with Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred?

Options

Replies

• mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    do your push ups on the wall, you will get strengh and after you'll be able to follow,you have to listen to your body!!!

I strarted last week.... no jumping jacks no rope jump no running, I was walking on place...

Day 6, started jumping jacks 2 sets on 3 , had the running in too.... but still unable with the rope jumps, it hurts my knees.... so I walk on place fast!

here's a video for wall push-ups http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RtM3L00BUU

Keep going! It worth it! YOU worth it!!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    1. Modify the modified if you have to.
    2. Do some reps, take a short break, do the rest.
    3. During cardio, do the exercise, march in place for rest and continue the exercise.
    4. If you stop before she finishes every single rep, it's okay. Just watch for improvement each time.
    5. Try stopping to drink water periodically. I find this helps me sustain better.
    6. Consider taking rest days between. I do 2 days on and 2 days off.
    7. Focus more on form and improvement than keeping up with her pace. You want to avoid injury.

I started with 1 modified push up, switched to plank hold for the rest of them, but each day I would keep trying to do what I could before resorting to plank hold. I can now do 10-12! I'm still working on it. For the first time last night, I could go half way on the full. I'm not quite there yet.

After the first set, I had to take a week break for a variety of reasons. When I came back to it, I decided I was going to do Level 1 again. I did it for a few more days and was surprised I was ready to move on. Prior to the break, I struggled through the whole thing. I never did make it without modifications but it had gotten a lot easier and I was able to get through 90% of the workout. Thus I decided to try Level 2.
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    Jumping jacks are my downfall. I started doing them modified and as I am doing them she yells out that if she has 450 pound people doing them, than you can do them too! Talk about feeling victimized! I only got through the first week and then I guess I got bored. I should start it again though.

Hopefully she doesn't hear me.... I'm not very kind when it's hard and she comments so, or said it's eaaaasy..... yeah right....
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    When I started 30DS about a month ago I could hardly do one push up. I do it 2 times a week (I'm not trying to lose, but I like the work out it gives for fitness sake its short and sweet) today I did 12 on the first set and 10 on the second, I am amazed how fast I have gotten more strength. I don't totally credit 30DS as I'm lifting too, but you sure do build up endurance as you go on. I'm with some of the other ladies too, those side lunges with the arm raise KILL me even with my sad little 2.5 lb weights! LOL
  • kcoftx
    Options
    P.S. I could barely do jump rope about 4-5 jumps before resorting to marching in place. Now that I'm in level 2, they want double jump rope style. I can now do the full time single jump rope style. That took most of the 10 days to even get half way there. Now that I'm there, I can't believe it.

I took a week off due to my knees and because I had to wait for the actual DVD in the mail (overseas) so I could finally have captions. Thank goodness because I found I had some bad form that was contributing to the knee problems. That week off helped.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So, I started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, totally pumped and willing to push through, but I could only make it about 8 minutes before I absolutely had to stop, I tried later on today and had to stop after 9 mins. I think I could do this workout if it werent for the damn pushups! I can't do them, never have been able to... When I'm doing them to the video, I barely dip down and I'm still dying!

Anyways, I'm planning on sticking it out, pushing myself to be able to do the entire thing (let alone moving up to level 2 for now!) and keep at it.

Has anyone else struggled like this with the DVD? Every review I've read people raved about it, but nobody mentioned struggling like me. I'm a workout newbie and and am quite a bit overweight, but very very determined.

-Christine
    Modify if you have to and pause it for a minute if you have to, but finish it. You will be amazed at how quickly your fitness will improve if you push through.
  • keacey
    keacey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes. I too had a very tough time. I just went only as much as I could, and did not really so hard that I would injure myself. Go easy and take a break or pause if you need. Sometimes I only did a few reps, and just stopped when I couldn't. I was still sweating. I'm not sure if it would affect the "30 day promise", but its better not to injure yourself. I read a few reviews on Amazon for this DVD that the exercises cause knee injury. I haven't had any problems, but its better to be safe. Try doing stretches before you start the 30day shred. I personally like Shilpa Shetty's Yoga DVD. I think you can find it on Amazon. After doing this Yoga for a couple of weeks, my body became really flexible and more tolerable for other workouts. But be careful about the knee injuries caused because of the 30day shred. After reading about the knee injuries I stopped the 30day shred, cos i dint want to take chances. I stick to yoga and running now. Try the weight loss yoga from the guy in the biggest loser challenge (i forgot his name). It's about an hour, but I started sweating half way in the session, that is pretty intense too.
  • projectconsistency
    Options
    I strarted last week.... no jumping jacks no rope jump no running, I was walking on place...

All the jumping is a problem for me, too, but not for the reasons you may think. Do any other moms experience the occasional leaky day? Most days I'm fine, but there are days I can't do any jumping.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    yes I have trouble with it i can only get half way through but I keep trying just go at your own pace good luck
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

All the jumping is a problem for me, too, but not for the reasons you may think. Do any other moms experience the occasional leaky day? Most days I'm fine, but there are days I can't do any jumping.

OMG, I was going to say that but was a little on the embarrassed side to say that jumping jacks make me almost pee my pants, lol. Dang kids!
  • jorden25
    jorden25 Posts: 19
    Options
    Bump
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, yes it is hard! Push through the first day and each day will seem to get easier, I PROMISE!!! Just don't give up! You have to force your body to change. When I first did the 30DS, my arms were shaking so badly and my knees were killing me, but you just have to tell yourself to keep going and believe you CAN DO IT! I'm here if any one needs any motivation or support! If you send a friend request, please include a little message, maybe tell me something about yourself! =)

yourbodycan.jpg

ifnotnowwhen.jpg
  • kcoftx
    Options
    [/quote]
    Modify if you have to and pause it for a minute if you have to, but finish it. You will be amazed at how quickly your fitness will improve if you push through.
    [/quote]

^this
  • dianacrum
    dianacrum Posts: 67
    Options
    I am soooo thankful to see this post! I just started the 30DS today and made it 9 min into the video, wanted to die and turned it off!! I was VERY bummed because I was so excited about it!! I am glad to see that it is hard and I'm not the only one who struggled!! I just figured I was still too fat and out of shape to attempt it at this time!! You have all given me new hope!! :)
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Keep with it, keep with it, keep with it. I started yesterday too. I've been working out for a year and a half now so I was made it thru the work out but it wasn't easy. I agree with everyone, modify and go go at your own pace. Today is L1D2. I wasn't sore yesterday, I did the workout in the morning, but today, I'm in so much pain.

Good luck!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Tonight around 10 p.m. was my 2nd day of 30 Day Shred Level 1. I am not that sore yet. I usually get sore 2 days later from a workout. So we will see what happens in the a.m. when I get up....lol. Do not get me wrong, it is a tough one. It has me sweating....lol.
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    Day 1 level 2.... Can't do it.... almost hurt myself.... So I'll Be back to level 1 tomorrow.... just to increase my strengh and abs...
    Maybe... I'll get to level 2 in 1 or 2 weeks... but untill I'll be able to keep my weight on my arms.... I will be on level 1 or doing something else....

Am I the only one?
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just did my fifth day of L1, and like on the first day, I felt like puking. It's kicking me in the butt, but it will be worth it! I'm already noticing improvement in my form and somewhat more endurance. Then again, I've been having bad sinus pressure today, so maybe that didn't help my stomach any. I'm so proud of myself for making it even this far...to everyone else sticking it out, you are all ROCK STARS!!!
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I just finished my first day of level 1 and 2 push ups in and I was having flash backs to junior high. They are hard. My arms were shaking so bad I felt like a cartoon. I modified mine and went slow.

Don't get discouraged!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ugh, the first week I had to do wall push ups, I mean how wimpy is that!?!? But it got easier, I can make it the whole way through without skipping anything now. I sitll have to do the push-ups the easier way, but I can do those now.