Too Much Fruit?? (Fruit,Vegan,&Weight loss)

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    If you also have trouble getting that much protein in, there are vegan protein powders out there that are really good mixed with a non-dairy milk, like almond or soy milk. I use one called Growing Naturals right now (chocolate flavor). It's brown rice protein. I have also tried Genuine Health Vegan Proteins+, as well as Sunwarrior brand. All three of these are very good.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but it sounds like you're doing fine. I would agree with whoever suggested you get your fasting blood sugar tested (I might have misquoted that) by your doctor and then re-evaluate.

Protein sounds a bit low, you might want to try to increase it, as it's supposed to aid in muscle recovery after running.

Black beans and brown rice together equal a complete protein source.

You might want to do a little research about soy products--there is new information coming out (I've been hearing about this but not sure if they are reputable sources/studies) that "not all soy products are created equal." The fermented soy is supposed to be better...again, I could be wrong about this.

Anywho...good luck! (and nice way to very politely ignore the trolling anti-vegan guy/gal LOL)
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Sorry but being vegan sucks, of course you are helping animals but you are f** yourself.
    also, 25g protein? Hahaha damm, a baby can eat more than that just drinking milk lol.

Excuse me. But your a rude jerk. If you have nothing nice to say, shut up.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    carbs in fruit are the good carbs so I wouldnt worry about it.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    And yeah, lot's of people have a distaste for vegans
    Actually I can't imagine many people really care what others eat. It's more the attitude that you're doing so much to help the animals...as if that 's everyone's top concern. The truth is, every animal raised as food is going to be slaughtered, not a single one is spared because you don't eat meat. Now if you're talking about hunted animals, then yes...not killing them in their natural habitat would spare them to live longer. But when you are looking at farm animals, they're doomed the day they're born. You not eating meat isn't going to stop farms, because we can't efficiently hunt enough wild animals with our population anymore. It's how we've evolved, sorry it turned out so bad for the cows and chickens.

As for protein...peanut butter has protein, if I were forced to be Vegan, I'd probably have to resort to a LOT of peanut butter sandwiches...which I could handle, because I love peanut butter so much.
    Also, surely there's some kind of protein powder you could find that qualifies for your chosen diet? Add that with some ice, a banana, a little peanut butter or fruit, and there's your protein, and tastes good.

sorry I stopped reading after "not a single one is spared because you don't eat meat. " That's not the point of my veganism. I simply choose not to eat the flesh of a living, conscious creature. I'm not trying to be wonder woman. I don't think that not eating animal products will magically end modern commercial agriculture.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    I have insulin issues so take my advice w/ a grain of salt ... of the fruits/berries you mentioned i'd cut back on the grapes because those are REALLY sugary. No reason to cut a bannana or apple from your diet, that's great fiber and potassioum in there - you have to eat SOMETHING after all. Make sure to get plenty of veggies and beans though and you can enjoy your fruits.

Next time you are at the doctor's have them measure your fasting blood sugar ... if your doc says it's in an acceptable range i wouldn't worry about it. If it's getting a bit high i'd cut back on some of the more sugary fruits.

alright thanks.. they are pretty sweet huh. and that's a good idea about the fasting blood sugar, I need to get tested soon for iron so I'll do that too. So, the more fiber you eat, the less the sugar in fruit affects you?? Cause I eat at least 40g of fiber a day
    oh, p.s., love your hair!!

More like fiber is good for your insides (keeping things moving along, if you know what i mean) so an apple a day isn't bad for you at all, lol. You know i asked my doc about the fruit thing too because i have to keep my daily sugar intake low and she said that while i should keep fruits to a MODERATE intake because i can't metabolize sugar as well as a "normal" person ... it probably wasn't my apple eating that made me fat :)

Having said that - let me also say that i know a few vegans. some of them are fat, some are VERY fit. You can certainly be a fat vegan eating ony "healthy" things if you over eat. The fit vegans tend to be really good with balancing their nutritional needs and they all take supplements so they don't wind up mindlessly "grazing" because their diet leaves them unfulfilled. If you are vegan, i hope you are on a lot of vegan sites that are helping you with your specific needs. It's going to be hard for a non-vegan to give you good advice on nutrition.

and thanks on the hair! good luck to you.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    I have been reading a book called the Belly Fat Cure which talks about the carbs and sugars in ones diet and how the sugars hinder weight loss. I know I had read before that if you are on a plateau to check how much sugar natural or refined you are getting and stay within the limits MFP has set.
    If you are eating all that fruit during the day you have got to be going way over your sugar allotment for the day. Question is.. are you losing weight?
    Just wanted to share some info I had found out recently!
    Good luck
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    sorry I stopped reading after "not a single one is spared because you don't eat meat. " That's not the point of my veganism. I simply choose not to eat the flesh of a living, conscious creature. I'm not trying to be wonder woman. I don't think that not eating animal products will magically end modern commercial agriculture.
    Sorry I implied that that was your attitude. I meant that that's the problem I have with most vegans I've seen. I understand "vegetarians," I do not understand "vegans," if that is more clear. I see no objection to milk or cheese in your reasoning.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Here's an article for you that might help with your concerns called Vegan diet found to markedly improve health of diabetes patients.

http://www.naturalnews.com/019785_veganism_vegan_diets.html
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    I'm not sure if somebody mentioned this, but if you are going to take the vegan route, you need to realize that you need to make sure you're eating complimentary proteins. Otherwise, you are going to be protein deficient. Please, please, please do your research. The healthiest way would be to eat some animal protein like eggs, but if that's not your thing, maybe look into taking a nutrition class (which can give you a good idea of animal protein alternatives).
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    I'm not an expert by any means but I think a diet based on fruits & plants is the way to go. I try to eat as much fruit and vegetables as I can. I also eat a lot of fish (but I know you can't) and I use vegan butter (Earth balance), almond milk, and soy substitutes for meat. My diet isn't perfect all the time but the closer I get to natural and/or raw the better I feel. Oh, and I also like juicing veggies I don't like to eat (like Kale) and then popping in a green apple with it and the kale juice tastes good.
  • terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    When i was pregnant with my son i had gestational diabetes and it was okay to eat the fruit but i was told by the dietician to eat a protein with it, so grab a tablespoon of peanut butter or a protein bar when you reach in that fruit drawer.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Sorry I implied that that was your attitude. I meant that that's the problem I have with most vegans I've seen. I understand "vegetarians," I do not understand "vegans," if that is more clear. I see no objection to milk or cheese in your reasoning.

Dairy cows aren't treated well at many dairies. Most eventually enter the food supply once dead. The produce a massive amount of waste and harm the envirnment. Many believe milk/dairy is not good for you anyways. After doing a lot of reading/research vegan actually makes a lot more sense than vegetarian.
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member

Actually I can't imagine many people really care what others eat. It's more the attitude that you're doing so much to help the animals...as if that 's everyone's top concern. The truth is, every animal raised as food is going to be slaughtered, not a single one is spared because you don't eat meat. Now if you're talking about hunted animals, then yes...not killing them in their natural habitat would spare them to live longer. But when you are looking at farm animals, they're doomed the day they're born. You not eating meat isn't going to stop farms, because we can't efficiently hunt enough wild animals with our population anymore. It's how we've evolved, sorry it turned out so bad for the cows and chickens.

I will have to disagree with you here Sortin. By lowering demand of a product the supply side will also adjust to match. If some company sees that its amount of lets just say haumburger meat (obviously this debate is all theoretical) that goes bad because it is unpurchased is rising, then it will adjust the amount it produces so that it remains within the acceptable amount of spoilage. I see a flaw in your argument because lets say in 20 years the population percentage of vegetarians is 20% instead of 5%. Does that mean the now 80% of meat eaters will now be consuming an extra 15% of meat because of the increased amount of vegetarians?

Now I dont think that since I dont eat animals, every year a magical farmer walks out to a cow a few pigs and a bunch of chickens and touches them with his wand and says "youre free", but I am taking a stand about something I feel strongly about and not supporting it. If I only took a stand for things that I thought I could change the world over by myself I wouldnt stand for anything.

And as a side benefit of my beliefs I feel great andI feel great about myself for taking a stand on something thats a pretty big deal (ones diet).
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78

Dairy cows aren't treated well at many dairies. Most eventually enter the food supply once dead. The produce a massive amount of waste and harm the envirnment. Many believe milk/dairy is not good for you anyways. After doing a lot of reading/research vegan actually makes a lot more sense than vegetarian.
    Her objection was to eating the flesh of a living creature, not the mistreatment of dairy cows. She's trying to get protein. Milk is a good source of protein. I suppose she could buy a cow and milk it herself, then it's up to her how she treats it, and what to do with it when it dies. That's a really big hole to dig in the back yard, though.
  • adamcrisis
    getting protein is not difficult as a vegan, beans, nuts, grains are loaded with protein and theres also the small amount of protein in fruits and veggies that add up during the day

Im 6'5 and my MFP daily protein goal is 96 grams and I reach it pretty much every day
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    And yeah, lot's of people have a distaste for vegans

As for protein...peanut butter has protein, if I were forced to be Vegan, I'd probably have to resort to a LOT of peanut butter sandwiches...which I could handle, because I love peanut butter so much.
    Also, surely there's some kind of protein powder you could find that qualifies for your chosen diet? Add that with some ice, a banana, a little peanut butter or fruit, and there's your protein, and tastes good.
    That is not at all true..people are not vegan to save animals the way you say. It is the concept of standing up for what is right even if no one else will. The attitude of oh well it will happen anyway is the cause for the majority of bad decisions in the world today. It sort of goes back to common sense..I won't jump off a bridge just because the rest of the world is.IE I am a vegetarian because I have integrity and since eating meat goes against everything I believe in I must not eat meat in order to preserve that integrity and remain true to myself. You can think differently because that is where free will comes in, but I have my own will and I stand by it entirely.
  • adamcrisis
    also a nice little treat I like is to peel and dice up a banana and then freeze it. Then when I want a treat Ill take the frozen banana in a food processor, add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter and maybe 1/4c soy milk and beldn it together. Itll turn into a delicious peanut butter banana soft serve
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Sorry but being vegan sucks, of course you are helping animals but you are f** yourself.
    also, 25g protein? Hahaha damm, a baby can eat more than that just drinking milk lol.
    No I said 35-45 grams of protein :-) And actually milk only has ~8g protein per cup, which I can get from nutritious veggies, grains, beans, and nuts. All without the added unnatural hormones and pesticides
    I see why you have a skeleton in your profile if you are getting protein from nuts and grains lol..., Unnatural hormones? pesticides?
    derp what about veggies and fruits?, they grown in the space or what?
    You grow up in a sound proof, tinted bubble, or what?
    "Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers, do not contain genetically modified organisms, and are not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives."
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Please do YOUR research. Francis Lappe's theory of needing to complement proteins was based on rat studies, not human, and was recanted decades ago. With very few exceptions, a vegetarian diet that provides sufficient calories will provide all of the required amino acids in sufficient amounts. You do not have to eat beans and rice together, either one has enough of all of the essential amino acids to sustain life all on its own. Even potatoes do.
    I'm not sure if somebody mentioned this, but if you are going to take the vegan route, you need to realize that you need to make sure you're eating complimentary proteins. Otherwise, you are going to be protein deficient. Please, please, please do your research. The healthiest way would be to eat some animal protein like eggs, but if that's not your thing, maybe look into taking a nutrition class (which can give you a good idea of animal protein alternatives).