Too Much Fruit?? (Fruit,Vegan,&Weight loss)

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Sorry but being vegan sucks, of course you are helping animals but you are f** yourself.
    also, 25g protein? Hahaha damm, a baby can eat more than that just drinking milk lol.

lol, enjoy your heart attack
    Lmso!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    also a nice little treat I like is to peel and dice up a banana and then freeze it. Then when I want a treat Ill take the frozen banana in a food processor, add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter and maybe 1/4c soy milk and beldn it together. Itll turn into a delicious peanut butter banana soft serve

Well that sounds amazing!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    k, enjoy your diabetus.
    Thanks, have a nice day :-)
    Wow I can't believe that person was so rude....Anyways it is true that too much sugar is bad for you, but I study nutrition and plan to go that career path..& carbs are the most necessary part of our diet. Forget what people try to say about protein because although it is important we NEED carbs and lots of them or our system is negatively affected. That said, 100 is a lot..and you are doing a lot more than that..but low carb diets are not healthy either, no matter how they're advertised because it is not natural for us to eat low carbs. We naturally crave sugar when it is low and blood sugar is very important. Our body usually knows best..I would say you will lose weight because it is predominantly calories in - calories out and the only issue is your insulin levels because the more sugar and carbs you take risk of becoming insulin resistant. Just be careful and balance it out with lots of healthy vegetables and protein substances too.

Yeah, well I guess he was having a bad day, lol, not gonna let that negativity get to me though!
    And that's awesome I would love to be a nutrition major, but I can't do chemistry :( Anyways, that makes sense. I'll try to do that for sure
    That's okay, I'd love to be a vegan, but I'm addicted to cheese. :] So I guess we're even.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    hi. you should also make sure you are getting a good varied source of protein so that you get all of your essential amino acids - sorry, its easy for us carnivores but you might need to research so you get them all.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    P.S. ! To the protein loving vegan haters..
    "Research has shown that all plants contain protein and at least 14% of the total calories of every plant are protein. Broccoli contains more protein per calorie than steak and, per calorie, spinach is about equal to chicken and fish."
    Meaning..Vegetables often have MORE protein than meat because you can eat less calories and get the same amount of protein.
    Remember, Popeye ate spinach, not steak for his muscles..
    http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

You might want to do a little research about soy products--there is new information coming out (I've been hearing about this but not sure if they are reputable sources/studies) that "not all soy products are created equal." The fermented soy is supposed to be better...again, I could be wrong about this.

I agree with this, if I remember correctly, most of the soy products (soy milk, soybean oil etc) are made from GMO soy beans. (Kashi just went under investigation for using GMO soy products).

Tofu and other tofu based products are OK since they are made from a different type of soybean. I drink organic soymilk to be safe.

I also go over my sugars, I love fruit! I eat strawberries and blueberries every day. (a cup of each :embarassed: ) Just stay away from too much dried fruits, they tend to have extra sugars added in, and since they have less water content, they don't fill you up as much as the non-dried variety.

Good Luck!
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Please do YOUR research. Francis Lappe's theory of needing to complement proteins was based on rat studies, not human, and was recanted decades ago. With very few exceptions, a vegetarian diet that provides sufficient calories will provide all of the required amino acids in sufficient amounts. You do not have to eat beans and rice together, either one has enough of all of the essential amino acids to sustain life all on its own. Even potatoes do.

sorry, this is inaccurate. the only food that contains all the essential amino acids is meat. of course you don't have to eat beans and rice together but you have to get a good mix of beans, nuts etc in your diet. as for a potato containing enough or all amino acids - well, thats just silly.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    sorry I stopped reading after "not a single one is spared because you don't eat meat. " That's not the point of my veganism. I simply choose not to eat the flesh of a living, conscious creature. I'm not trying to be wonder woman. I don't think that not eating animal products will magically end modern commercial agriculture.
    Sorry I implied that that was your attitude. I meant that that's the problem I have with most vegans I've seen. I understand "vegetarians," I do not understand "vegans," if that is more clear. I see no objection to milk or cheese in your reasoning.
    Hm Well this is better I guess. I don't mind eating milk or cheese except I won't lie I think I would be healthier as a vegan..I think it is the healthiest diet if you follow it correctly.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    "Research has shown that all plants contain protein and at least 14% of the total calories of every plant are protein. Broccoli contains more protein per calorie than steak and, per calorie, spinach is about equal to chicken and fish."
    Meaning..Vegetables often have MORE protein than meat because you can eat less calories and get the same amount of protein.

lolol!! How many tonnes of brocolli would i have to eat to get the same calories as from my steak. not hatin - just statin.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Please do YOUR research. Francis Lappe's theory of needing to complement proteins was based on rat studies, not human, and was recanted decades ago. With very few exceptions, a vegetarian diet that provides sufficient calories will provide all of the required amino acids in sufficient amounts. You do not have to eat beans and rice together, either one has enough of all of the essential amino acids to sustain life all on its own. Even potatoes do.
    sorry, this is inaccurate. the only food that contains all the essential amino acids is meat. of course you don't have to eat beans and rice together but you have to get a good mix of beans, nuts etc in your diet. as for a potato containing enough or all amino acids - well, thats just silly.
    "It is not important to mix plant material at one meal to obtain the 8 amino acids - Our bodies store amino acids in our blood for several hours. So if we miss getting some amino acids in one meal, we can pick them up at some other time during the day."
    http://www.glisonline.com/essential-amino-acids.html
  • Verity1111
    Options

lolol!! How many tonnes of brocolli would i have to eat to get the same calories as from my steak. not hatin - just statin.
    What does it matter? I would still be within my calorie limit. You have to think vegans and vegetarians eat a LOT of vegetables to match the calories of your meat. So I can eat a lot more and still be under my limit. I LOVE broccoli so I could eat a few cups in one sitting. I have eaten 2 cups in a sitting and still wanted more no problem and it is low in calories. Throw in low calorie soy or tofu and wala..I just matched your protein and eat more food lol.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    Well, there's 3g per 100g of broccoli according to the database item I looked at. And 7g per ounce of "TBone steak." So, for an 8oz. TBone steak, you would need to eat 1866g of broccoli. I love broccoli, but that'd probably be more than I'm willing to force down.
  • 3laine75
    Options

not at one meal - as i said.

and mabey you should lay off the cheese - its affecting your ability to read. and whoever you are quoting is not a particularly good person to be listening to as there are more than 9 essential amino acids.
    "It is not important to mix plant material at one meal to obtain the 8 amino acids - Our bodies store amino acids in our blood for several hours. So if we miss getting some amino acids in one meal, we can pick them up at some other time during the day."
  • 3laine75
    Options

and mabey you should lay off the cheese - its affecting your ability to read. and whoever you are quoting is not a particularly good person to be listening to as there are more than 9 essential amino acids.

Essential Nonessential
    Isoleucine Alanine
    Leucine Arginine*
    Lysine Aspartate
    Methionine Cysteine*
    Phenylalanine Glutamate
    Threonine Glutamine*
    Tryptophan Glycine*
    Valine Proline*
    Histidine Serine*
    Asparagine* Tyrosine*
    Selenocysteine** Pyrrolysine**

You don't need them all in one meal - but you need them all (ESSENTIAL) and there are 11 not 8.
  • Verity1111
    Options

What does it matter? I would still be within my calorie limit. You have to think vegans and vegetarians eat a LOT of vegetables to match the calories of your meat. So I can eat a lot more and still be under my limit. I LOVE broccoli so I could eat a few cups in one sitting. I have eaten 2 cups in a sitting and still wanted more no problem and it is low in calories. Throw in low calorie soy or tofu and wala..I could match your protein and eat more food lol.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I'm new here, and I have a question concerning fruit.. I tried to google it but nothing really came up.

I really love fruits and I like to try to stay as natural, whole, and raw as possible so fruits and veggies take up a big part of my diet. I'm also a vegan if that matters. Anyways, I'm wondering if eating a lot of fruit will matter in my weight loss goals as long as, of course, I stay within my calorie limit?? People go on about ow fruit has a lot of sugar, and that it will get converted to fat if you eat too much carbohydrates...

I have noticed, since I've been tracking all my food, my carb intake is quite high - from eating things like fruit, beans, quinoa/brown rice, ezekiel sprouted bread, and vegetables. Usually my intake is around 190-220g.

My protein intake is always good, in the 35-45g area, and I try to limit my fat so it ranges from 20g to a higher 35g if i have something like avocado, almonds, or flax and chia seeds. And lastly, I run 5x a week for at least 30min-40min, plus brisk walking.

Anyways, SORRY THIS IS LONG here's an example of the fruit I would typically incorporate into breakfast & snacks (please tell me if you think its too much or will hinder my weight loss)

breakfast:
    -ALWAYS a banana (my favorite food). I have at least one a day, sometimes two.
    -apple
    -4 or 5 strawberries

snack #1:
    -black seedless grapes

snack #2:
    -dried plums!!! (prunes)
    -any other handy fruit we have such as watermelon or cantaloupe

thanks for reading :-)

I have eaten four or five pieces of fruit per day (usually oranges and if they run out, I switch to apples). It has been fine, seriously.

Eat your fruit :))
  • 3laine75
    Options

What does it matter? I would still be within my calorie limit. You have to think vegans and vegetarians eat a LOT of vegetables to match the calories of your meat. So I can eat a lot more and still be under my limit. I LOVE broccoli so I could eat a few cups in one sitting. I have eaten 2 cups in a sitting and still wanted more no problem and it is low in calories. Throw in low calorie soy or tofu and wala..I could match your protein and eat more food lol.

i am not replying to you again. you are obviously an idiot. my original response was, i think, a helpful one for the OP. granted as he is vegan he probably already knows he has to get a good variety of protein sources - you, however, don't seem to - and i don't care. :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Well, there's 3g per 100g of broccoli according to the database item I looked at. And 7g per ounce of "TBone steak." So, for an 8oz. TBone steak, you would need to eat 1866g of broccoli. I love broccoli, but that'd probably be more than I'm willing to force down.
    8oz steak is also bigger than a deck of cards, which is the recommended serving of meat. It also is like you are assuming I meant we would eat just broccoli lol I could do that though no problem because I never get tired of it. This is why I'm a vegetarian..I love vegetables. Still add in tofu or soy plus broccoli and you can easily match the protein and then some with less calories.
  • Verity1111
    Options

i am not replying to you again. you are obviously an idiot. my original response was, i think, a helpful one for the OP. granted as he is vegan he probably already knows he has to get a good variety of protein sources - you, however, don't seem to - and i don't care. :)
    You're obviously the idiot if you want to start insulting people just because you disagree. That is what happens when you have nothing intelligent to say. You make no sense. Just because YOU can not eat enough broccoli/tofu etc to match meat doesn't mean we can't. If I wanted to add more protein into my diet I could easily eat lots of broccoli and soy and enjoy it. Just because 5 cups is too much for you doesn't mean it is too much for me. 1oz of meat is too much for me..so obviously we have a difference of opinion, but your ignorance and lack of respect shows I have no need to defend my intelligence.
  • Verity1111
    Options

What is your problem? I was posting something that supports what you said and somehow you can't see that...but you obviously think out of your ego and have no respect.