Please tell me these hunger pains will stop

Options
I just started this diet 3 days ago.
I feel so hungry all the time. I'm eating TONS of fruits and veggies. (actually more food volume wise to when I was not dieting)
But I feel hungry again like 20 minutes after I eat a whole cup of grapes or something. I still eat some carbs and lean protein, and I feel like I'm doing everything right to "avoid feeling hungry" but I'm all grumpy and starving =(
Please tell me this phase will be over soon. I can't feel like this every day for the next 4 months

Replies

• Stazed
    Stazed Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How many cals are you eating? Are you getting a good mix of your macros?
  • etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    my goal is 1,200, but I can't seem to get it under 1,300-1,400 =/
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Try and get all the protein you need. If youre cutting out all carbs eat some. Those are things that help me when I feel bad.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water too? Fruits and veggies are great but you need a balance otherwise you'll still be hungry. Carbs and protein are important and you need to get enough to fuel your body. Especially if you're trying to workout as well. That's why a balanced diet is always promoted long term over one that cuts out any specific food type or group.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Eating stuff high in fiber helps. Wanna make sure you're eating enough calories too though. Sometimes the calorie goal settings on mfp can be off and you actually might need a bit more.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Eat high fibre foods and make sure your drinking plenty =)
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    my goal is 1,200, but I can't seem to get it under 1,300-1,400 =/

I would check some other bmr calculators to see what they come up with. 1200 is the absolute minimum doctor's say you should never go below, and if you are going from eating way more calories to down to 1200 it's going to be rough and is kind of a shock to your body. Might be better to gradually work your way down to that (still eat healthy, but just eat a bit more).
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Make sure your macros are on--especially fat and protein. I would be hungry eating a lot of fruits and veggies too. Lots of water can help keep you feeling full too.

That said, there is an adjustment period. Hang in there!
  • coreykantola
    Options
    Water water water, as long as you are eating the right amount of calories, most of the time hunger pains are usually dehydration. Your brain cannot tell the difference between them and sends the same signal as hunger.

Food for thought. . . . . lol
  • etavi
    Options
    I do drink tons of water, still feel hungry like 20 mins later.
    I guess I gotta add more protein (to the deli I go! hah)
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    eat low calorie foods that fill you up.
    instant oatmeal for breakfast (110-140 calories)
    try to find foods with high fiber and low calories so that you feel fuller longer.
    if you keep feeling hungry, have a little snack (i go with 1-2 almonds, and keep track). make sure to drink a ton of water. you are probably thirsty and this is making you feel hungry. hope that helps
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Girl!!! Eat you some MEAT!!!! :laugh:

Seriously, I'm a huge fan of meat!!!!!

I've lost 50lbs and I don't starve...at all!!! You have to fuel that fire or it won't burn! Be sensible... people really make a healthy lifestyle so much harder than it needs to be... It's really not rocket science... I promise.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Exercise suppresses my appetite, too. And water.
  • etavi
    Options
    ohhh, I love instant oatmeal. I eat it every day for breakfast (have been for the last year) The weight control kind is 160 cals and keeps me full from like 8 am until like 2:30 pm.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, that would give us a better idea of what you are doing on a daily basis. Otherwise, we are just kinda guessing and that really isn't helpful.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I LOVE when people advocate water!!!!! :drinker: I am an even bigger fan of water!!!!! So many benefits for properly hydrating your body!!! And you generally need more than the measly 64 oz suggested... That's your baseline...
    Water water water, as long as you are eating the right amount of calories, most of the time hunger pains are usually dehydration. Your brain cannot tell the difference between them and sends the same signal as hunger.

Food for thought. . . . . lol
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Make sure to drink alot of water, it helps to fill you up. Don't eat too many grapes, their actually the most fattening fruit. I take fiber supplements and they help to make you feel full. Most people don't get enough fiber anyhow, so it can't hurt. Eat some greek yogurt. It has 16 grams of protein and helps to fill you. Keep at it, persistance pays off!
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    chicken bouillon helps me on days that i feel like i'm starving and dont have many calories left... along with eating high fiber/protein, low sugar foods.. it takes a few days to adjust.. but your body will... and you wont feel hungry..

another trick, is everytime you're hungry drink a glass of water or a warm cup of tea.. then re-evaluate if you're really hungry. often our bodies tell us we are hungry when we are really just thirsty :)
  • gegardner
    gegardner Posts: 11
    Options
    I was hungry all the time for like a week and I went on 1200 cals too. It took my body a little while to get adjusted, and then it became used to less food. Give yourself more time...being grumpy is normal when you first start a diet! Hang in there!:-)