2nd Best Guitar Player of All Time

Options

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's definitely personal preference.. nobody's said Kirk Hammett.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Anyone who makes a topo ten guitar list and does not include David Gilmour has to be on crack.

Gilmour
    Hendrix

all others.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    You may not like his music, but Prince is the #1 guitar player in my book. ;)

Love Prince on guitar...sadly he hardly ever plays it. Everyone talks about "Lets go Crazy" but I love his solo on "I could never take the place of your man"
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    I think we have confirmed that I am right and all of you are wrong, so let's start with out next less controversial topic.

ABORTION!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    i just think this category is way too broad for anyone to have the ability to call anyone ~wrong~ for their opinion.

I agree with Snow, comparing (for example) Van Halen guitar to BB King guitar isn't really a good comparison.

It's like asking what do you like better: perfectly cooked steak dinner or your favorite dessert? Different category, different answer.

My answers were Blues guitarists, but if you don't like Blues then you don't think much of BB, huh?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I think we have confirmed that I am right and all of you are wrong, so let's start with out next less controversial topic.

ABORTION!

Wrong! Religion is much more controversial!
  • Brittany1979
    Brittany1979 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Everybody forgets about or hardly remembers Mike Campbel's amazing skills..... lead guitarist for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, my friends. :)
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Definitely some of the classic guys like Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Beck. Also Vai is incredible as is Satriani. Have to mention Eddie Hazel since his work with Parliament/Funkadelic is just highly underrated.

For fans of jazz fusion, one dead guy whose work I find amazing is Shawn Lane.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    Everybody forgets about or hardly remembers Mike Campbel's amazing skills..... lead guitarist for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, my friends. :)

underrated, but again a better songwriter than player
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Brian May.

With ya sista - Brian May for me too, with possible reserve contenders: Gary Moore or Mark Knopfler
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    Brian May.

With ya sista - Brian May for me too, with possible reserve contenders: Gary Moore or Mark Knopfler

oh God how did I leave Gary Moore undiscussed. SO, SO underrated RIP Gary
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Beck, Page, SRV, Steve Vai, Stanley Gordon, Al Dimeola, all are better EVH. Vai probably the best.
    Bass players: Les Claypool, Getty Lee, Flea, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton

And don't bother arguing my list, I respect the opinion of REAL musicians, ones who've made a living doing this and even played with a few of rhe greats listed above.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    You may not like his music, but Prince is the #1 guitar player in my book. ;)

Love Prince on guitar...sadly he hardly ever plays it. Everyone talks about "Lets go Crazy" but I love his solo on "I could never take the place of your man"

I did not mention him, because he is in fact my #1. In everything. He was my first husband. I married his poster when I was eight. It's legal in SC, pretty sure.
  • Beastette
    Options
    Beck, Page, SRV, Steve Vai, Stanley Gordon, Al Dimeola, all are better EVH. Vai probably the best.

And don't bother arguing my list, I respect the opinion of REAL musicians, ones who've made a living doing this and even played with a few of rhe greats listed above.

I love Flea very very much. Especially in The Wild Thornberries.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options

Flea plays the bass
  • iam_thatdude
    Options

um ok, so I am a real musician and there is not way any of those guys are better than EVH, ESPECIALLY Vai, Gordon and Dimeola...all good players, but nto better. Good bye

On your bass list, you forgot Billy Sheehan, but the list is up there...also it is Geddy Lee...I respect guy who know how to spell the names of their heroes.
  • Beastette
    Options

Flea plays the bass

I know. Are you saying bassists don't count? Even the dude from Cake?
  • iam_thatdude
    Options

Flea plays the bass

Bassists would be a whole different thread, but really there is only like 6 dudes on the whole list.
  • Beastette
    Options

Flea plays the bass

Bassists would be a whole different thread, but really there is only like 6 dudes on the whole list.

LMAO! PAUL MCCARTNEY. So, there.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options

um ok, so I am a real musician and there is not way any of those guys are better than EVH, ESPECIALLY Vai, Gordon and Dimeola...all good players, but nto better. Good bye

On your bass list, you forgot Billy Sheehan, but the list is up there...also it is Geddy Lee...I respect guy who know how to spell the names of their heroes.

My phone must have corrected it. And I agree with Billy from Maiden love that guy. As far as your arguement about being a real musician not one guitarist I know would put Eddie at #1, top 10 sure, not #1.

I know someone who played with EVH and Zakk Wylde, I value his opinion a bit more.