Disordered thoughts, beyond obsession?

Options
So I've lost 22lbs over the past couple of months, taking me down to 162lbs, I see NO difference, all I see is fat.
I was asked to hand in a food diary at my gym, and was told today that I'm just not eating enough.
I had a bit of a breakdown and told them that I'm terrified to eat.
He told me I have disordered thoughts regarding my image, and it's a common sign of anorexia.
I eat around 600 calories a day (yes, I have lied on my food diary here, the reality is a lot less), and I usually burn around 700 at the gym. On top of that I take pills to boost my energy and metabolism, I'm aware they are unsafe, but my desperation has got me to this point.
I am a law student with really important exams starting next week, and I can't focus on studies, I can't focus on anything but food.
Everything has become a calculation, intake vs calorie burn.
I have had some comments of friends who are concerned that I'm becoming Obsessed.

I just wondered if this is anything to worry about, I'm not particularly worried myself, as I feel that it's a plan that's working. The only concern I have is that I can't see any difference, so I might reach my goal weight and still see the 184lb girl I used to be. If that's the case, I will keep wanting to be smaller and smaller.

I'm only putting this out there because people are getting worried. I just wondered what peoples thoughts were..

Hit me with it,

Replies

• sareid77
    sareid77 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this site and am excited to get started. When I came across your post I was shocked at your diet! If you're burning that many calories your body needs more fuel! I think it's GREAT if you've lost 22lbs in the past couple months! You should be proud. Really! I don't know you but from what you've written it sounds worrisome, maybe not obsessive. I know for me, once I started working out and eating better it feels so good that it is almost addicting but in a good way. It's ok to do calculations but you have to be safe and if you put good in, you'll get good out. In the last few months I've become more aware of what I eat in addition to my workouts and I really feel the best I have in a long time. Don't get discouraged. And you can't always go by what the scale says. It's not going to happen over night either. To get healthy and to the weight you want will take time but will be SO worth it!
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't find it to be obsessive, it was other people who have accused me of it.
    Oddly enough, the nasty comments come from friends who are fat.
    But anyway, thank you for your response and welcome to MFP :)
    Everyone here is so nice and supportive, you are in the best place to feel encouraged, good luck!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Never go by what the scale says. Eating less than 1200 calories raises eyebrows, but I think that anyone can tell you that eating 600 calories and less is not the way to lose weight. Ditch the pills because they are masking your body literally eating itself alive. There is no good in losing weight if you're not going to be strong enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Eat more and exercise reasonably. I'm just going to keep it real and let you know that you do sound like that there may be a mental issue there and you should seek help, but this is based on my limited knowledge and how you are justifying such an unhealthy lifestyle. Regardless of which path you choose, I wish you luck.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    I'm just going to keep it real and let you know that you do sound like that there may be a mental issue there and you should seek help,

I was bulimic at 15, the recovery left me heavier than when I started. Maybe I haven't fully dealt with the thought pattern related to the disorder. I think my problem is admitting there is a problem. Doctors freak me out.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help at all: but an observation that I made while reading what you wrote, you said:

"I am a law student with really important exams starting next week, and I can't focus on studies, I can't focus on anything but food".
    then three sentences later you say:
    "I just wondered if this is anything to worry about, I'm not particularly worried myself, as I feel that it's a plan that's working".

To me if you can't think of anything but food, that's a plan that's not working. I hope you can figure out what you are looking for.
  • etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    Please eat more.
    I was anorexic in high school. As soon as I became healthy I gained EVERYTHING back in a couple months.
    I don't understand how you're not completely exhausted, but it might be the pills covering up that your body is possibly shutting down.
    I understand what its like to be desperate, but trust me, restricting yourself is only going to come back to hurt you.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are making progress, but at what cost?

Based solely on some of the info you posted, I am concerned for you also. Ditch the pills, eat more, and try and relax a little bit. All easier said than done right?

I've got a feeling you didn't gain all your weight in a month or two so it's not going to come off in a month or two. My advice is to do some research (the forums are packed with great info) and create a routine that is healthy and give it time to work. Good luck and props for reaching out!
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think you probably don't see a lot of change in the mirror because you're eating too little and your body is grabbing your muscle as fuel because its way easier to breakdown into glucose than fats. So you are losing WEIGHT but its probably muscle, your fat is still the same. And since muscle is more compact than fat, you don't look the same as you would if you lost 22 lbs of just fat.

And that IS anorexic thought, that you should be netting 0 or less calories. MFP has 1200 NET, so if you exercise, you eat more, and if you don't, you eat 1200. You eat 600, burn 700 so you net negative. So when you DON'T exercise, that would be 0 calories to get the same results.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    I should point out that the weight loss so far hasn't been due to lack of food.
    I did start with 1300 calories.
    But as the weight loss slowed, I just added more exercise and ate less food.. Leading up to this point.
    I have noticed some side effects like when I stand up sometimes I feel so weak I have to sit down and try again.
    I will try to up the calories, I don't want to kill myself trying to be thin, what good is a little black dress if it can only be worn in a coffin I guess.
    It's just difficult to get past the fear I feel when I go shopping, or go to the fridge. But I will try.
  • MelKut
    Options
    Yeah I started at 1200 but I did NOT want to lower because I just love food. So I kept increasing... funny how different minds work :ohwell:

I'm eating between 2000-2350 cals per day, exercising 5-6 times a week (this is without eating calories back, counting exercise calories is just too different per person). Also, my workouts are usually less than an hour, except for once a week when I have long runs. I have NOT gained any weight, lost a little, but I'm fine with that because I'm pretty close to my goal and am just focusing on making all this a habit instead of losing all my weight now. :smile:

Sorry for the random bit, but I'm just mentioning it to say that I'm NOT stressing or obsessing anymore about my weight, I know I have the rest of my life to maintain my weight, so why not practice now? :)
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    I don't think I could physically eat 2000 calories o.O
    I'm never hungry.
    I will try to up it to 1200 though,
    I don't want to relax too much, because if I stay at this weight any longer I will scream.
    I will work on maintenance when I reach 125 :)
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    your weight loss stall is probably due to eating too few calories. initally starting on a very low calorie diet will cause a dramatic weight loss. however down the line it will slow your metabolism down and your body will store whatever few calories you consume to keep basic body functions working, for example your brain and your heart (those are important as i understand it).

it does sound like you have an obession over food. you need to speak with someone who can help you through your fear. i bet that your law school has counseling or has services that can help.

i wish you the best of luck and i certainly hope that you can find the help you need and get back on track.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with the guy who said you are, in essence, eating your body alive by taking in less than you expend. If you don't have the energy to exercise, that should be the wake-up call that you are literally killing yourself slowly. I think you want to live since you reached out to us for feedback. I completely understand feeling fat and seeing nothing but fat in the mirror. I remember thinking the same things about myself 30 years ago when I weighed over 40 lbs less than I do now. That is a mental state, one that I would like to correct, so I can feel better about myself AS I AM! I hope you can shift your point of view to come to some semblance of self-acceptance, even love, so that you can take care of yourself. You are going to have to rescue yourself. I would offer you a hug, if it were possible to do that via internet, to try to show you what genuine acceptance feels like so you can do it for yourself. Not that I'm any expert at genuine self-acceptance, as I said before, but I do know how to accept love, support and compliments from others and that helps me not be so disgusted with myself. I recommend taking everyone's advice given so far. We are strangers and have nothing to gain by bull****ting you with false compliments.
  • MelKut
    Options
    I don't think I could physically eat 2000 calories o.O
    I'm never hungry.
    I will try to up it to 1200 though,
    I don't want to relax too much, because if I stay at this weight any longer I will scream.
    I will work on maintenance when I reach 125 :)

Yeah its pretty hard haha but I love food, and I eat every few hours and its awesome lol

Yeah, definitely increase your calories, and decrease your exercise for the time being... just give your body a break and give it time to repair your muscles and all that :) When you can think clearly, focus on schoolwork (remember, carbs are brainfood) and generally go through your day without thinking about food every minute then you can think about adding exercise. Yes you MAY see an increase on the scales but that is temporary, so don't freak out, maybe take a break from the scale :smile:

Also, keep us updated on your progress and how you are feeling day to day :) I don't want ANYONE to be eating too little and getting discouraged. I want to see a bunch of happy healthy people :)
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Same thing-- I lost a good amount of weight with the help of an ED and when I stopped (with the help of a doctor), I gained about half the weight back. It's been brutal, and as I told my fiancé, I have my good days and my bad days (and yesterday was BAD) but you just have to keep aware of what you're doing and take it as it comes. I wish it got easier, but it doesn't.
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am very sorry you have to go through all of this stress! What strikes me the most reading your posts here is your anxiety of losing control and your focus on your body solely.
    I think that it might be helpful to you to talk to somebody who can help you with that. Obsessive thoughts of any kind and the urge to control something (in your case body weight) are usually just something to help supress anxiety.
    If you find different coping strategies for that you might have a more relaxed approach to eating and be able to trust yourself that you will stay on track without obsessing.
    Good luck and all my love to you!
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    I'm 5'1, started at 76kgs (167lb) with a goal to get down to 57kgs (125lb). I started in November last year, and have a plan to eat 1200cal, and train at the gym (weight training and cardio) 5 days a week, followed by yoga on the remaining two days. I'm also aware that the weight loss will take time i.e. 2kgs/month loss at the most.

How tall are you?
    600 calories is well below the recomended minimum for women.

I would recommend increasing your calorie intake to at least 1200calories, putting in a good training programme, and having a realistic long-term goal. Taking in too little calories, and relying on uppers will leave you
    - unable to think straight cos there's not enough glucose in your body
    - unable to train strong - again lack of fuel
    - unable to develop muscle in order to burn more bodyfat
    - unable to see real results
    - potentially damaging your gut.

I'm making these comments based on having tried in the past to lose weight by eating very little as well and relying on fat burners and caffeine. I was struggling with pain and was on anti-inflammatory painkillers which ruined my gut, and the fat burner and caffeine on top of it ruined the lining of my stomach. Has taken me 2 years to fix it.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options

How tall are you?

I am 5'2
    Short people just don't carry weight as nicely as taller people -.-
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    That's absolutely true. But look, you're taller than me, and I'm eating more than you, and am able to still study hard and train super hard! I was at the gym yesterday and did lunges and squats with a 15kgs barbell. The guys around me were intrigued at this little shorty who was lifting heavy. But, I don't care. The more muscle I build the looser my clothes are getting - even though I'm only averaging a 2kg loss/month.

Eat a good solid diet and go get yourself an awesome exercise plan and just kill it. This will be much more rewarding and you'll look awesome with lean muscles by the time you hit your goal weight.
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    Check out this chick.. she's 5'1!
    http://www.facebook.com/littlebshealthyhabits

If it helps, I'm currently doing this program. I'm at week 4, day 2:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html

Good luck! You can do it, but don't go for shortcuts i.e. starving yourself.