Some chick got pissed at me at the gym tonight

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
It was about 9:25 pm or so. Gym closes at 10pm. I got there at about 9pm and needed to get though my leg shoulders in a hour.

I usually squat/military press, power clean/abs, then deadlift/individual shoulder press. I noticed that some girls were using the squat rack with some really light weights. So I didn't want to ask to work in as deracking/racking a big disparity in weights is a pain. Fine, I do powercleans/abs, then deads/shoulders and by then the girls were done with the squat rack.

By the time I'm done with the squat/shoulder superset, it's 9:45pm. I wanted to do some jumprope for 15 min before closing so I leave the weights racked and decide to derack them right at closing. Fine right?

Well apparently some woman was watching me and didn't like that I was "dominating" two sets of equipment at the same time. She starts deracking the squat rack. I immediately stop my jumprope, apologize and help her derack. Then asked her what she wanted on the other side. She then gets snotty about the fact that she had to derack. Remember it's like 10min before closing and she never said anything. According to her, I should have deracked 255lbs after each set. I go "what"? Be realistic. I said he she wanted to work in. Fine then let me know and then I'll derack inbetween sets. If not, I'm not going to derack becuase it's like 10 min left and hardly anyone is in the gym. She says, you should derack it after each set because someone might want it. I say, "that is fine, but there's no way to tell if you wanted it as you didn't say anything". She gets pissed now. That's bad gym etiquette! I've been to 5 gyms and that's doesn't happen! Being a smart *kitten* now because she's talking to me while I'm trying to finish off some jumprope 5 min before closing, I say "well because I wasn't at those gyms!" :heart: I mention I think I know gym etiquette as I've powerlifted competitively before and I'm not new to sharing. She said "you should go to a different gym them!". I roll my eyes. i say if you TELL ME what you want to do, I'd be happy to work in with you. But I don't know if you don't say anything. I say, when I needed that military press chair, I asked you if I could work in. I didn't think you were using that second because you were just standing there with no weight and I was ready to go with two 65lb dumbells. I was having a conversation with here holding two heavy dumbells.

Come to find out that SHE WANTED TO SUPERSET also. I spoke to the two workers I was cool with and she came down to complain about me. There was a dude I come to know that was listening to the entire thing and was quietly laughing his *kitten* off during the conversation.

Too bad as she was in decent shape and was sorta good looking. :brokenheart:

As she walks out, she says "have a nice day", I say, "thanks, hope to see you soon". :bigsmile:

I guess I just got labelled as one of those "muscle heads" or something. Odd as I'm 5'7" and 174lbs. hahaha

Replies

• LiteBrite007
    LiteBrite007 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Wow. i'd have slapped her. I'm having a bad day and its 2:45am...

Freakin insomnia. Yeah she'd have gotta slapped.

no just kidding. All for the nonviolence. :drinker:
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I killed her with kindness. She said she was "wrong" and I said, "no one is wrong, just a miscommunication". I was pretty nice pretty much the whole time and she could not stand that. She had no reply to someone arguing with her while being totally courteous.
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Haven't had one of these encounters yet thankfully. I could see me bein a total smartass about that kinda thing though.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Haven't had one of these encounters yet thankfully. I could see me bein a total smartass about that kinda thing though.

It was almost unreal. I wasn't really upset so I was having some fun with it. If I see her again, that will probably be interesting.

I noticed that two other members were cracking up while they chatted together. I assume they overheard the conversation. I mean the gym was pretty empty so everyone could hear everthing.
  • LiteBrite007
    LiteBrite007 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I killed her with kindness. She said she was "wrong" and I said, "no one is wrong, just a miscommunication". I was pretty nice pretty much the whole time and she could not stand that. She had no reply to someone arguing with her while being totally courteous.

Yeah I'd have killed her. Not with kindness though. Maybe a sledge hammer.

Just teasing love. The kindness approach is best. "My religion is simple. My religion is kindness." :smile:
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    thanks
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, nobody in their right mind would derack ofter every set, but it wouldn't have killed you to derack before you started jump roping if you were done with it.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    who deracks after each set? lol
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Be interesting if you ran into her again, and actually hooked up. Keep us posted. :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Be interesting if you ran into her again, and actually hooked up. Keep us posted. :wink:

This! It'll make a great story to tell your grandkids. :happy:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You are super nice. :flowerforyou:
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Ha! I was thinking these same thoughts...
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    In all honesty, nobody in their right mind would derack ofter every set, but it wouldn't have killed you to derack before you started jump roping if you were done with it.

Understood. But 10 min before closing? Who do starts squats 10 min closing? That was my mindset as I scanned the room to see would possible use the rack(squats is the only thing you exclusively need the rack for). She decided that her upright rows had to be done on the squat rack despite being able to do that exact same exercise in any numerous different ways.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Ha! I was thinking these same thoughts...

I''ll flash my knee high socks at her, bat the eyelashes and see what happens
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Some people just get off by trying to control situations and tell others what to do and when you don't conform that really p*sses them off.

Sorry to hear your workout ended that way!

Karen
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    She'd hate to go to the gym I go to. I go at lunch when it's hardly anyone there and just about every peice of equipment still has all the weights left on it from someone else using them. I don't think anyone knows the meaning of deracking when finished there.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    She was probably just tired of deracking (unracking? reracking?) weight EVERY.SINGLE.TIME she lifts and took it out on you -- even though you weren't in the wrong. Everytime (EVERYTIME!) I go to squat or deadlift, there are at least 2 plates on each side. I get that it isn't "that" much so people just leave them but sonofa...I don't get paid to take other peoples' sh/it off EVERYDAY. Plus (not necessarily you), some guys are inconsiderate. Yesterday, I warmed up for about 10 minutes staring at the squat rack -- of course already PO'd that somebody left the normal 180lbs on it -- got finished, grabbed something out of the locker room, came back, looked around seeing if anyone was giving me the "I'm still using that" eye (yall know what I'm talking about), then started to take a weight off till this guy runs over and tells me he's still using it -- at LEAST 15 minutes had passed since he last used it. I did see him do 1 set the additional 30 minutes I was there (in between his conversation and leg presses with a million lbs).

See...this probably happened to her yesterday and she was just taking it out on you :).
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Understood. But 10 min before closing? Who do starts squats 10 min closing? That was my mindset as I scanned the room to see would possible use the rack(squats is the only thing you exclusively need the rack for). She decided that her upright rows had to be done on the squat rack despite being able to do that exact same exercise in any numerous different ways.
    Who does squats right before closing? Apparently you do.

Look, I don't know why she needed that particular rack for her rows, but that's not really the point. And I'm not saying her attitude was justified, I'm just saying it could have been avoided if you had just deracked when you were done with it like normal people do instead of trying to predict the actions of other gym members. Is it really that difficult to derack before you jump rope? Try to take a little responsibility for your own actions.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Who does squats right before closing? Apparently you do.

Look, I don't know why she needed that particular rack for her rows, but that's not really the point. And I'm not saying her attitude was justified, I'm just saying it could have been avoided if you had just deracked when you were done with it like normal people do instead of trying to predict the actions of other gym members. Is it really that difficult to derack before you jump rope? Try to take a little responsibility for your own actions.

I did. I apologized, started deracking and asked what she wanted. What do yo want me to do? Do the lifts for her?

I was DONE squatting 10 min before closing. And that's because I ended up doing it LAST as two girls were squatting on it previously.

At the same time, she could have avoided it too. Buy doing her upright rows in any other of the 5-6 different ways you can do upright rows available to her at the time. Hell, I don't think she even put any weight on it. She could have simply walked up to any of the few bench bars and did them. People have to slightly adjust their workout routines depending on availability. I do it all the time.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    EH - she was probably just looking for a fight and figured you'd be a total meathead and an easy target. You probably threw her off guard when you were so nice.