Weight Loss Simulator

Options
While searching for some weight loss simulation models I came across this site and thought it was really cool. For those of you that like graphs, charts, spreadsheets etc. This one is for you!

You input your current weight, height, gender, etc. Then your activity level. You input your desired time frame to reach your goal (it it isn't possible it will revert to a goal that is attainable. It then calculates your caloric needs to reach your goal based on if you want to increase your activity level etc and then provides the maintenance info once you reach your goal. There are tabs to look at body fat percentages, and a spreadsheet for your daily weigh in.

http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/

Replies

• _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    great calculator... I can realistically hit goal (body fat from 25% to 19.6%; or 26 pound weight loss - approx) in 6 months pretty much doing what I'm doing... IF I stick to my target calorie range and get those workouts in... I'm ON IT!!

thanks for posting this!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say I can't get down to 200 by the end of this year, which is nice to read.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I go to the page, and its a wall of text, I see no where to insert data.....what am I missing?
  • reach53
    reach53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Me too, nothing to insert data!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I go to the page, and its a wall of text, I see no where to insert data.....what am I missing?

It requires you to run Java. To the left side of a screen a box will pop up (you may also get a request from your computer to allow you to run Java) Once it is loaded there is a button "Start Simulator"
  • SaraTN
    Options
    Also to note: There is a screen for a lifestyle change that will allow you to insert your daily calorie intake goal and then it will calculate your expenditure in the tabulated data. If you highlight and use control C you can then cut and paste into a spreadsheet if you are geeky, like me.
  • cherylzzz
    cherylzzz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Oh, I meant to add that this not only takes into account what you do for work, but what you do in leisure time. So while I'm sedentary as a 'job', I can get my walking and weight lifting figured into things.
  • SaraTN
    Options
    Oh, I meant to add that this not only takes into account what you do for work, but what you do in leisure time. So while I'm sedentary as a 'job', I can get my walking and weight lifting figured into things.

Yes that is a really cool factor and if you do the lifestyle changes and hit the detail option for activity level you can customize it by including what your work out schedule is -- for example, I walk for 20 minutes 4x/week and I do a light run for 60 minutes 2 x per week, a hard run at 40 minutes 1x week and a medium run 1 x per week for 90 minutes.

You can then increase your calories or change your activity on a specific day in your program (i.e. I want to increase my calories at day 60 and increase my activity.

I am in Nerd Heaven right now! I am going to test it to see how I actually fall. I like the range of weight it gives you for each day as well....
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That website told me in order to lose 30 lbs in 6 months i should eat 473 calories a day.

Something is really wrong here.

I would recommend using this thread for information instead.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/573838--read-this-figuring-out-your-calorie-goals
  • SaraTN
    Options
    That website told me in order to lose 30 lbs in 6 months i should eat 473 calories a day.

Something is really wrong here.

I would recommend using this thread for information instead.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/573838--read-this-figuring-out-your-calorie-goals

That would be if you changed nothing with respect to your current calorie intake and your expenditure. Which no one is saying you should do. You can play with this on the goal weight tab or you can put in the information on the lifestyle option. For me, I put in a 1250 calorie consumption and in the tabulated data it tells me that by consuming that calorie amount consistently, I would need to expend 2,400 calories through normal activity and exercise. As the weight goes down the expendture reduces as well but the intake remains the same.

The lifestyle works similarly and you can add detail regarding your work and liesure activity that you engage in daily. If you want to start off with a lower calorie consumption but then increase say at day 21 it will take that into account and provide the weight loss goal.

I think its a really cool tool... but you have to play around with it to see how it actually works.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

It requires you to run Java. To the left side of a screen a box will pop up (you may also get a request from your computer to allow you to run Java) Once it is loaded there is a button "Start Simulator"

Ah. Once again us Mac users are effed.
  • SaraTN
    Options
    Well that is a real bummer!
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm on a Mac that is two years old... no problems, site works great!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Wow...I think this will take some time to figure out, but it seems awesome. BUMP!
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    Very interesting website - thanks for posting