green smoothie recipe help!!

Options
mollyp91692
mollyp91692 Posts: 18 Member
I love smoothies. Especially in the summer time! I am more a fruit eater then a vegetable eater. I am looking for way in add more veggies to my diet. Are there any good green smoothie recipes out there? I am looking for a variety of them. Thanks everyone!! =)

Replies

• bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    I love smoothies. Especially in the summer time! I am more a fruit eater then a vegetable eater. I am looking for way in add more veggies to my diet. Are there any good green smoothie recipes out there? I am looking for a variety of them. Thanks everyone!! =)

This should give you a head start and keep you busy for awhile...LOL:smile:

Kale and Banana Smoothie

Ingredients:

2 bananas
    2 tablespoons hulled hemp seed
    1 bag of frozen blue berries
    2.5 cups pure water
    1 teaspoon super foods of choice (optional)
    5 leafs of kale

Directions

Put all ingredients in a high speed blender.

Add enough water so that all ingredients are covered.

Blend well.

You may want to add a little more water if you like your smoothie thinner.

Kale and Spinach mix
    I mix Kale or Spinach with blueberries. Kale or Spinach with melons, Kale or
    Spinach with kiwi and grapes and fresh squeezed orange juice.
    I also had kale with melon, pineapple, grapes, peaches, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. Divine!

Spinach-Mango
    1 handful of fresh organic spinach
    1 stalk celery (Optional)
    1 or 2 sweet yellow filipino mangos
    enough water to blend into a smooth smoothy! Yummy!

Try adding some herbs, too! I LOVE parsley–it’s so healthy and cleansing. So yesterday’s smoothie had spinach, kale, arugula, parsley, and basil. I added three very small peaches, the juice of half a lime, and a banana. It was really yummy!

Smoothie
    1 bunch red dandelion
    1/2 small small watermelon
    6 strawberries
    1 cup of grapes

Smoothie
    1 bunch dino kale
    2 oranges
    6 strawberries
    1 cup of grapes

Kale-Strawberry-Peach
    1 bunch green kale
    1 pint strawberries
    3 small peaches
    2 cups water

Peach-Spinach
    6 peaches
    2 handfuls of spinach leaves
    2 cups water

Apple-Kale-Lemon
    4 apples
    ½ lemon juice
    5 leaves of kale
    2 cups water

Pear-Kale-Mint
    4 ripe pears
    5 leaves of kale
    ½ bunch of mint
    2 cups water

Strawberry-Banana-Romaine
    1 cup strawberries
    2 bananas
    ½ bunch romaine
    2 cups water

Smoothie
    One half small seeded watermelon, peel and all ( amazing by itself actually! )
    10 strawberries
    1 bunch spinach
    1 cup water.

Smoothie
    1 beautiful bunch of red dandelion greens
    1 orange remove orange part of peel with knife, leave the white as it is high in calcium
    1 mango
    1/2 banana

I am hooked on green smoothies! I add different things, depending on what sounds good to my body each day. I haven’t been disappointed yet!

full of important minerals, vitamins, healthy omega three fats, fiber, protein, enzymes, that is hydrating and easy to digest!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Spinach
    Cucumber
    Apple
    Juice from an Ugli fruit
    and a splash of lime

makes a really light summery smoothie.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    My favorite:

2 c. spinach
    1/2 a ripe avocado
    1 c. berries of choice (I prefer with blueberries)
    dash of cinnamon
    1/2 c. almond milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein
    ice + water for processing

I've also added banana before. You don't have to add the protein powder, but I usually have mine after a workout, so I like the protein added in. :)

The nice thing about spinach is that it essentially has NO flavor when added into whatever your favorite smoothie is. Same for avocado (which I do NOT like alone). It makes it really extra creamy and adds a lot in the way of vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, etc. :)
  • nhladky81
    Options
    Here is a recipe for a Green smoothie that I've been having the last 4-5 weeks for breakfast and it's super good!

1/2 cup chopped Kale
    1/2 cup chopped spinach
    3/4 cup Almond milk (I use unsweetened)
    1/4 cup frozen berries (Any will work, I use berry medley)
    1/2 banana
    1 dried apricot or 2 dried dates

Blend it all up and drink.

It's approximately 130-160 calories depending on the Almond Milk and berries
  • slara75
    slara75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My 15 yr old loves fruit too. I just started adding kale and spinach to her regular fruit smoothies.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas!!! I made a green smoothie last night and another one this morning, YUM. I'm so glad this thread was posted!
  • christineandgeno
    Options
    I have been have green smoothies for breakfast and find that they are really tasting and filling.

Kale Green Smoothie

2 cups water
    2 huge handfuls of Kale ( I buy the organic Kale thats cut up)
    2 bananas
    1 medium navel orange
    1/2 cup mango

1 Make sure to add water first than add additional ingredients. I find it easier to blend if I put one handful kale in first and than add it in again after I blend the other ingredients. I find this to be very filling and I usually give a small cup to my daughter as well.

There is enough here to make about 32oz so you can save half for lunch.
  • Nclausen14
    Nclausen14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard from many of my friends that you can add spinach to ANY smoothie and you really wont taste it at all, so for anyone who doesn't want a veggie tasting smoothie just make your fruit one and add some spinach!!!
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here is my fav-

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    2 cups frozen spinach
    1 frozen banana sliced
    1 kiwi peeled and sliced
    1 cup skim milk
    1 TBS Honey

Dump it all in the blender and blend till smooth and creamy :drinker:
  • solicit
    solicit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bumping cause I gotta get my Green smoothie on in the AM
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save for later. Love it!
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A very easy green smoothie for beginners.

1 cup (250 ml) non dairy milk
    1 banana - frozen
    2 handfuls green of choice (kale, spinach, pak choi etc)
    juice of half a lime or more to taste (lemon if you prefer)

The lime takes the bitter edge of the greens. It will still taste 'green' but it is very accomodating.

Alternatively mix any combo of two fruits with greens and liquid and give it a whirl. It's all about personal taste. Try not to complicate them with too much to start. Keep it simple. Fruit,greens, water. You'll soon aquire the green taste :)

There are thousands of recipes with fruit veg/combos (try googling Vitamix green smoothie, they have an excellent group (not sure what kind of blender you will be using).

Debbie
  • jande24844
    jande24844 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wildberry Smoothie

1/2 c trop 50 Orange Juice
    1/2 c water
    2 handfuls of ice
    1 c frozen wildberry medley
    1 scoop protein powder (vanilla)
    2 c spinach

Green Smoothie

1 c. Almond Milk ( I use Blue Diamond - unsweetened, 40 cal per cup)
    2 handfuls of ice
    1 scoop protein powder (vanilla)
    1 tsp. peanut butter (natural)
    1 banana
    2 c spinach
  • stefmomme25
    stefmomme25 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks.
  • lanakila1
    lanakila1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump!
  • TexasBridgett
    TexasBridgett Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've purchased several books, and spent hours doing internet research about these smoothies.....

A couple of green smoothie suggestions:
    Rotate your greens. I read that eating the same vegetable for an extended period of time can actually create an excess of alkaloids and cause poision like symptoms. I avoid this by buying a different veggie every week. Last week was Kale & Red Leaf Lettuce, this week Spinach and Kale.
    Allow about 45 minutues before and after the smoothie before consuming any other foods.
    Also, don't add dairy. It doesn't combine with fruits, causing digestive issues that won't help with weight loss.
    From personal experience, smoothies with bananas are a lot sweeter and overall better. I ALWAYS use frozen fruit, even if I have to freeze them myself, and fresh greens. This way you never have to add ice. I alternate between water and coconut water depending on the fruits I'm adding.

I've been doing daily green smoothies for about 2 weeks, and for a few weeks prior to that I was doing them every 2-3 days.

I've noticed that my sweet tooth is gone! Now I actually reject sweet things with little to no regret. It's amazing!
    It's hard to say if I'm losing weight, because I've been strength training for the past 5 weeks, but I can tell a difference in my body shape and how my clothes are fitting. Plus I NEVER have that bloated feeling!

A helpful website that got me started:
    http://lindawagner.net/blog/2011/08/green-smoothie-for-weight-loss-part-2/
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    bump
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    Options
    bump
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I always do spinach. I read that Kale has a stronger flavour so if you dont' want to taste the greens at all to use spinach.

My basic recipe is
    - spinach
    - milk
    - orange juice
    - yogurt
    - banana
    - flaxseeds

And then i add in random fruits. I also put random amounts in.

My favourite is
    - spinach
    - milk
    - orange juice
    - banana
    - pineapple!

I have a single serve blender thing so I usually fill the blender cup with frozen spinach (I buy the big bags of fresh spinach then freeze them). Then usually add half milk/half orange juice (around 1/2 cup each or so), one banana and then throw in as much pineapple as I want. Then i taste test it until I find it suitable.
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS DO SPINACH. I read that Kale has a stronger flavour so if you dont' want to taste the greens at all to use spinach...
    Hello from Chicago!

:drinker: New to Green Smoothies so I did a lot of on-line research. As TexasBridgett said above, we must rotate the Leafy Green Veggies. There is a potential HEALTH HAZARD USING THE SAME LEAFY GREENS DAILY.

Victoria Buetenko popularized Green Smoothies and has a lot of great research and recipes. Suggest everyone check out this link —
    http://greensmoothiesblog.com/guidelines-green-smoothies/