Weighing In

Options
I know you should really weigh in about once a week.
However I am a scale-freak. Every morning the first thing I do is to weigh myself.
What are some tips to get over that? It sounds silly...but I can't stop checking it everyday.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with weighing in every day?
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options

I believe it's suggested not to do it everyday because your weight will fluxuate daily depending on water levels, etc.
    The best is supposed to be once a week. My problem is I "have" to know everyday.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I believe it's suggested not to do it everyday because your weight will fluxuate daily depending on water levels, etc.
    The best is supposed to be once a week. My problem is I "have" to know everyday.

me too!
  • om98
    om98 Posts: 48
    Options
    the same willpower u use to lose weight , use it to avoid the scale

weight in every 3 days instead of week
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been guilty of telling people not to weigh in every day. But right now I am obsessed with it. It seems vital to me that I know on a daily basis what my body is doing. This week, it is consistently losing .2 or .3 per day so I know that what I'm doing is working.

Maybe you can try starting at every other day and work your way out from there?? That's what I am going to do. I think :)
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I know you should really weigh in about once a week.
    However I am a scale-freak. Every morning the first thing I do is to weigh myself.
    What are some tips to get over that? It sounds silly...but I can't stop checking it everyday.

Why stop? if you have to check it every day, then it is your prerogative.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't freak out over the daily fluctuations, then you don't need to stop weighing every day.

I used to weigh every day and I found it really interesting to see how my body reacted to different things. Exercise, sodium, lack of sleep etc.
  • exerciz4me
    Options
    How about a compromise? You can certainly weigh in everyday (keeping in mind weight fluctuates according to different factors).....just pick the same day each week to log it at mfp. Best of luck! Keep up the good work.
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    I had the same problem. Well, it was a problem for me because I would freak if it went up slightly or not down as much as I thought. I see my dietician once a month and that is the only time I weigh. I don't even keep the scale in my house anymore. Maybe you could put the scale in the trunk of your car, or back of the closet and only use it on days that you have set as weigh in days?
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on how seeing the numbers will affect you. If you're someone who will get upset over 0.1 weight gain, then do it once a week to avoid discouraging yourself, but if you can handle it, then go for it! When losing weight, I weighed in everyday and it kept me motivated; even gaining a little just made me want to do better. With maintaining, I do it once a week. :flowerforyou:
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with weighing daily as long as you don't panic.
    I weigh daily and record here only on Mondays:)
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with checking mine everyday. I do mine on my Wii. It has charted my weight everyday for the past year. I kind of like going back and seeing how my weight fluctuates day to day. If you are going to check it everyday, I recommend charting it every day. That way, you don't compare Thursday with Wednesday but rather compare this Thursday with last Thursday.
  • sensualmess
    sensualmess Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have got the same problem... maybe ask someone at your home to hide it somewhere and only give it to you once a week..?? just a suggestion :)
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I weigh multiple times every day. I'm glad I do because if I hadn't been doing that some of these "plateaus" would have freaked me out if I had happened to weigh myself when I had fluctuated up. It's helped me understand how this whole weight loss process works with my body. I go through a couple weeks of losing, then kind of get stuck, then start losing, then gain some muscle, then lose etc. I can literally go up & down a lot (i drink at least 12 lbs of water a day, a pot of coffee and other, protein shakes etc.) during the course of a day. The scale is my friend but she tends to occasionally twist the truth. the mirror has always been more honest with me.
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Try weigh in Once a week.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but report weekly. I also lay off sodium dramatically the day before I report. Seems to be working for me. I usually average out at around 2 pounds a week.
  • Kari089
    Kari089 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, just this morning I was considering asking my husband to hide the scale..then I got over it and realized I would hunt it down anyway. Just have to stop freaking out if I see a few grams up. But if it really bothers you perhaps not having the scale in the house is a good idea..maybe put it somewhere where it would take some work to access? attic? basement? garage? then just fetching it once a week would make more sense.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Weighing in daily would not benefit me. I also would not benefit doing it weekly. I have been doing it in the first day of each month first thing in the morning. But, if u are able to handle seeing the fluctuations, weigh whenever u need too. YOU need to be comfortable with what YOU are doing! Good luck to you!
  • NittanyLion95
    Options
    I weigh in every morning at the same time (before shower) but I only "enter" my weight on MFP once a week. Weighing in each day keeps me honest and gives me a good feel for how much I cheat in the weekends.

I get REALLY frustrated by people that will track every.single.ounce they lose for a few days and then not report because they either didn't lose or gained some back (and they bellyache about the set-back). You can certainly weigh each day, but "track" your official weight only once a week. And take the lumps if you don't lose! Use it as incentive to work harder!
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with checking mine everyday. I do mine on my Wii. It has charted my weight everyday for the past year. I kind of like going back and seeing how my weight fluctuates day to day. If you are going to check it everyday, I recommend charting it every day. That way, you don't compare Thursday with Wednesday but rather compare this Thursday with last Thursday.

This sounds like a good idea