5am Workouts?

Options

Replies

• nairobiny
    nairobiny Posts: 13
    Options
    I enjoy my early morning run at the weekend so much that I have no problem getting up for it. I also find that I sleep better when I'm exercising, so my midweek (evening) runs mean it's easier to get up.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45. I set my cell phone alarm and turn it up loud. Then I get out my workout clothes and put them in a pile far away from my bed. Then I bury my cell phone in the middle of them. When my alarm goes off, I have to get out of bed to shut it up and by then I've got my clothes in my arms so might as well put them on and get on with my workout!

Becca... that is HYSTERICAL! Love it.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been working.out at 5am for like two years. I was never a morning person but since I work in a school and have to be
    In work at 7:30 am I workout before school. I take a 530 am spin class. I have my clothes laid out the night before
    And my gym stuff. I only live 10 minutes from work and the gym. So I make it home in time to shower and feed animals and get
    To work. I like to be home at night. This is my choice because I hate crowds and in the am there is like 10 people in the gym.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use to hate it but it makes you feel so much better and it gives you something less to worry about later in the day.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    UP AT 4 A.M. EVERY MORNING FOR WORKOUTS ALL THE TIPS ARE THE SAME MAKE IT A ROUTINE MOVE THE CLOCK GO TO BED EARLY DON'T EAT LATE THERE IS NO SECRET OR TIPS ITS JUST A COMMITMENT TO A CHANGE YOU CAN DO IT
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 to work out M-F. It helps to have everything ready the night before. I set the coffee to go off, lay out all of my workout stuff including socks and shoes, and I'm ready to go. I meet 2 other ladies from work to lift M,W,F at the gym at our work so I have to have all of my work clothes/shower stuff, etc. all packed too. I love it! I love having my workout out of the way and I can just do whatever the rest of the day. I'm usually asleep by 9 though.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am to workout. I want to cry when my alarm goes off but I always manage to get up. I know I'll regret if I don't get up
  • natalienovella88
    Options
    Treat it like it is an appointment that you absolutely can not miss. That is what I have been doing the past 5 weeks and it has worked so well! I have made it every day
  • cjm109
    cjm109 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My alarm sounds at 4:30 every morning, except for the weekend. No snooze just get out of bed and go downstairs for a cup of coffee, take care of the animals and 5:00 I'm on my elipitical. Mon, Wed & Fri cardio 30 mins and weights then Tues, Thurs & Sat 45 mins cardio.

Your body adjusts itself eventually. Good luck...you can do it!!!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I get up at 530 5 days a week. On Saturday I sleep as late as I want and then workout...everyone in the house knows to leave me alone until I am done working out!

I started out by just getting up about 20-30 minutes earlier for a few weeks...then I got up 45 min earlier..then I finally hit the hour earlier and my goal time of 530. It took me about a month to work up to getting up earlier. It's still not really easy to just jump out of bed every day but it is easier and a habit now.
    After about 2 months of getting up early you will notice that it is much easier.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    I in in bed by 8pm and up at 4am every morning to workout (well, 5-6 times a week). Have been doing this for about 3 years. You just get in the groove. The only downfall would be weekends. If I go out on Friday or Saturday until midnight or 1am I am still up the next morning at 4am. My body is like clock work.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i used to do it when i was working in other place far from my family. it will be difficult at first but will become easier since you will realize the rewards of getting things done.

i think one factor that i can't do it at home is because i'm too relax here. as supposed to be in some place alone when you feel that you got nothing to do but to work out.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I drag my sorry *kitten* out of bed at 445 on tues, wed, thurs. It's tough some days, but you have to want it. This is what I have time for, so this is what I do.
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    I go to the gym 5 mornings a week at 5:00 am. I don't enjoy it, but I do it...that way it's over and done with and I don't have to worry about it the rest of the day and I get to spend quality time with my family in the evenings. Sometimes we get to go on great walks in the neighborhood, boosting my cardio and my calorie burn.

You've already been given the best advice...the only way to do it is to do it. Make it a priority and make it a habit. :)
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    When I first started I would make my appointment with the trainer at 5 am. I was paying for it either way, so I usually didn't miss. Now that I am use to it, I do cardio in the am and strength in the evening.
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    Also, I have everything ready the night before...workout clothes, cold water, heart rate monitor, etc.

And, it helps sometimes to re-do your music playlist...it gets me excited. So in the morning, I am so excited to listen to my new tunes, that it sort of makes me a little more motivated to get up....wierd, i know ;)
  • SeeEmRun2012
    Options
    Go to bed by 10pm....change into your workout clothes the night before so you'll wake up ready to go....set an alarm on your phone with a motivating message such as "get your lazy *kitten* out of bed and burn some fat!!!"....thats my trick lol
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about switching to morning workouts too, but I as well am not a morning person. I think I just need to go to bed earlier. At the moment it's usually 10-10:30pm and then up at 7am with my 4 year old. Yesterday the day was so busy that I ended up having to do my workout at 11pm, not fun! :( Thanks for all advice everyone and for the OP for this great question :D

Btw just thought I'd mention that when I have gone running in the mornings a few times, the world seems so different. Maybe it's just quieter? lol, it seems peaceful, the air seems fresher and the sunrise is always gorgeous :D Well worth the workout! :)
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am there at 5am when my gym opens. I have a 4 year-old, a full time career, and a wife who works swing shift. It is the only time I can go.

It was really hard for about 2 weeks. Now it is normal. My alarm goes off at 4:40am, I get up and brush teeth, put on workout clothes, fill up water bottle, grab headphones, jump in truck, am at gym 5 mins later.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My alarm sounds at 4:30 every morning, except for the weekend. No snooze just get out of bed and go downstairs for a cup of coffee, take care of the animals and 5:00 I'm on my elipitical. Mon, Wed & Fri cardio 30 mins and weights then Tues, Thurs & Sat 45 mins cardio.

Your body adjusts itself eventually. Good luck...you can do it!!!

I'm similar, get up about 4:45 get in workout clothes feed the animals and then start my workout, which I do my Hannah Waterman exercise DVD on Mondays and Wednesdays and then do the new Davina UltimateTarget on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday! But Tuesday and Thursdays aren't big sessions really compared to the rest of the week and Friday I have a day off from working out, and also I do after work on Tuesdays and Thursdays just to break it up a bit I might do them in the morning though.