5am Workouts?

Options

Replies

• dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    This is going to sound silly... but I can sort of 'sleep' through my workout when I do it early in the morning.
    Obviously I'll get tired and sweaty, but all of a sudden I'm done, lol. I can even elliptical for a few seconds with my eyes closed and catch a couple of zzz's hahaha.
    Okay, maybe I have a problem ;-)
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 AM. When hubby isn't home I sleep in my workout clothes, when he is home, they are stretched out on the floor right in front of my bed.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also am up at 4;45 to exercise. I'm not a morning person either! One thing that REALLY helped me get out of bed/not talk myself out of it was to have an accountability partner...I email them every day with my exercise report. When I am tempted to sleep in, I just think about my accountability partner and having to tell them I was too lazy to get up!
    good luck...once you get used to it, you will love the morning work outs - time to your self - its done for the day (no late night exercising - unless you so choose!)
  • Figment14300
    Options
    bump
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Just had my FIRST 5 am work out this morning. It was awesome. Gym wasnt busy..and when I got home I was bouncing around getting ready for work and it helped making good decisions throughout the day.

Nice to know too tonight I can just relax :)
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have done the early morning thing in the past, and now my night workouts seem to be comprimising time with family ect so I am going back to the early morning stuff. Hardest for me is getting out of bed and sneaking out without waking 2yo daughter lol but once I am there I am fine. Also going to bed early a little tricky, but usually I fall asleep on the couch basically every night and have to drag myself to bed, so when I am up at 4:45am its just me falling asleep at 9 right after 2yo goes to bed lol instead of 11-12pm.
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 to go to boot camp at 445
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention the perks:
    Never feeling guilty for being there and not somewhere else. Where else could you possibly have to be at 5-6am? :)
    Not missing a workout because things came up
    Easier to stick to a routine for above reason

Negatives:
    Hard to find buddies to workout that early (atleast for me)
    getting up
    leaving house when still dark:)
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I despise mornings and have been a night owl my WHOLE life (even as a child!), but if I wait to go to the gym until after work it's way overcrowded and I'm hungry. I started forcing myself to wake up earlier... but I still snooze. And snooze. And snooze. Finally my darling rolls me (literally... pushes and rolls) out of bed because he has to get up anyway and I mutter and grumble my way to the kitchen. lol

Yeah, you've just gotta force yourself to do it. Or have someone who's willing to put up with your sh** in the morning and able to push you out from under the warm snuggly covers. ;)
  • merapp9
    merapp9 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ones that tell you to make it a routine...that's what I've told myself...it catches on and you get used to it...not to say there still aren't days and you won't have days where you want to stay in bed but have something yummy and healthy planned for breakfast so you can look forward to it and know that you don't have to work out later! :) GOOD LUCK!!:smooched:
  • shanie75
    shanie75 Posts: 1
    Options
    Working out first thing in the morning helps me stay on target. It makes me think about what I will eat for the day. Will I grab that apple or a bag of chips. I didnt wake up and put all that energy on the treadmill or elliptical to throw it away on a bad food choice. Plus it helps me with 4 kids and a husband to be home in the evening. At 5 AM everyone is still sleep. I think I have even had more energy, my kids get hot breakfast at home at least 3x a week.... its a lot of added bonuses. When I first started, I would sleep in my workout clothes to cut time. :smile: Hope this Helps!
  • jessicarhea2012
    Options
    I work out in the evenings except for on Thursdays. The reason being is Thursday is girls eveining, moms and wives day. It makes it easy to get up early because I know I will not be able to workout that afternoon. I guess I am saying if you know it's your only option and you know it makes you feel better and day starts off happier it's worth it. Because trust me I am so not a morning person. I workout out at home so I don't have the trouble of leaving the house. I hope you can make this work. :wink:
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i get up every morning at 4:45 am to workout. the first couple weeks were killer as i am definitely NOT a morning person, but now i do it every day no problem. i just have to remind myself that it is one step closer to my goals every time i do it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am up at 545am and start work out at 630 am after a cup of coffee and small bowl cold cereal. Start the day with my man once he leaves at 630 am off I go. I love working out in the morning it is over with for the day.
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    alarm goes off, i roll outta bed, take care of the AM necessity while getting workout clothes on, bottle of water & get on elliptical. by the time i'm done with my workout, i'm fully awake. the payoff is your body's endorphins kick in early & it makes your WHOLE day great! good luck on your challenge :happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone in that you'll get used to it. Actually you might get addicted to it. On my off days I really feel myself dragging and that will be the only day of the week I feel sore. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't get my morning blast of endorphins. Also what's awesome about super early workouts is that you don't have any outside excuses not to go. No baby sitter issues, no work late problems, no traffic snags, no honeydew list. Just the alarm clock and your level of desire.

One tip is to put your alarm clock on the other side of the room. If it's right next to you the snooze button will be too easy to hit. The other thing I do is on nights when I think I'm going to be dragging the next day, I go to youtube and watch Crossfit type videos for about 15-20 mins right before bed. I don't even do Crossfit workouts, but just watching the girls and guys going all out gets me fired up and ready to hit it. The next morning I bounce out the house ready for action.
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The only way is to just do it. You will get use it. If you're not a morning person, you might not be happy for the first week or so, but youl will get use to it. Good luck! Morning workouts are the best!

Love my morning workouts - feel off when I miss them!
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get up early to workout? I want to start getting up at 5am, but I am so not a morning person. Any tips and tricks to waking up early (other than going to bed early)? Working out in the evening is about to become impossible with my work schedule . . .

I don't go to bed as early as I should (11ish is typical) but I still drag my butt out of bed at 4:45/5am to hit the gym by 5/5:15 - depending how cute my puppies are being trying to snuggle when I am trying to get out of bed haa - no matter what it is hard but after a few weeks you get used to it and start to look forward to it, you will feel a difference in your energy throughout the day when you have had your morning workout as opposed to when you havent - I also lay out my gym clothes the night before so I just wake up and grab them, change and go! best of luck!!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I've been working out in the morning all of my adult life. I think it started off playing racquetball at 6 am because we never had to worry about reserving a court. I've always belonged to a gym/fitness facility that had a full locker room with showers so that I am able to wake up, work out, and go to work. My Gold’s Gym is my morning bathroom 6 days a week so their monthly fee seems cheap since I use everything in the facility.

Tips:

Organize everything the night before – Around 9 PM I am organizing workout gear, what I am to wear to work, and my breakfast & lunch I take to work also. Everything is put next to the garage door so I can grab and go. Some guys I know even put it all in their vehicle the night before. I don’t eat before I workout in the morning but I drink a lot of water during.

Go to sleep early - Your body will not like the lack of sleep and there has been proven studies that lack of sleep causes weight gain. As soon as I am done organizing I am in bed.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Not quite 5am. Usually up and out for 6:30am. Gym doesn't open any earlier otherwise I'd be out at 5.