physics help....

Options
124»

Replies

• SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    TO GET THE ANGLE I HAVE TO USE A PROTRACTOR...
    god crammit.
    this shouldnt be so difficult.

i now understand that the answer is in the 3rd quadrant.
    but i'd like to get there you know? hahahahaa

HAHA! Yeah, physics can be a struggle, but once you understand equilibrium and force vector addition, subtraction, cross products and dot products, and how to apply them, it isn't soo bad. Just don't come to me asking for help with electromagnetic physics. I can't help you on that one :flowerforyou:
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Can't help, never did Newtonian physics - did particle based. Before anyone asks, I'd rather you kill me than ask me to try and dredge that knowledge up from the dark recesses of my brain. :noway:

OP, in all seriousness, I think 3rd quadrant is the answer as well, but since I know nothing of physics I will go with Changing_Christina and just say "c". :laugh:
  • Changing__Christina
    Options
    Can't help, never did Newtonian physics - did particle based. Before anyone asks, I'd rather you kill me than ask me to try and dredge that knowledge up from the dark recesses of my brain. :noway:

OP, in all seriousness, I think 3rd quadrant is the answer as well, but since I know nothing of physics I will go with Changing_Christina and just say "c". :laugh:

Exactly correct! I just did the work in my head, I didn't want to explain it to all the little people in the world! :)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    i now understand that the answer is in the 3rd quadrant.
    So, I got it right?!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    there isnt a picture to post... i could like draw it out and kinda show you what i THINK it is asking... or do you need a picture of the force table???

No, I don't need a picture of hte force table now. I think I know what it's asking. I think it's in Quadrant 3, just intuitively because the two forces that you know are there are in Quadrant 1. Equal and opposite reaction shows that the opposit reaction would be roughly in quadrant 3. But, you need to prove that.

Yes to thisfirst...Fg=mg...you are using 10m/s/s..as g...
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Have you guys ever written "boobies" upside down on a calculator? It's awesome!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay so i went and looked on a seperate physics website!!!

each quadrant contains 90 degrees.

you find the resultant by adding together the 2 angles (80 + 20)

I think you've figured out this is wrong, right? You don't add vectors by adding the angles. The angle of the sum vector is somewhere between the two angles, so it will be between 20 and 80 degrees, not 100 degrees. Other than that, the rest of your reasoning is perfect. I've corrected below:
    therefore the resultant is between 20 and 80
    which lies in the 1st quadrant

you find the equilibrium by adding 180 degrees to that (because it's opposite)

this is between 200 and 260, which lies in the 3rd quadrant.