Pit Bull <3er's

Options
Bikini_Bound150
Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
I have a 4 year old pit bull (re)named Diesel. My ex found him on the side of the road with a letter in his collar that said "Hi, my name is Greg and I need a good home". Later I found out that it was a friend of a friend of a friend that dropped him off because they were losing their house. (I have NO sympathy here, we found him 10 minutes from the no-kill Humane Society!!!!!!!!!!!)

I had never owned a pit bull before, but the day I met him, I fell in love. He is the best dog I've ever had and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. Since owning him (2 years) I have become a huge pit bull advocate and lover! Hearing horrible stories on the news makes me sick. I am a FIRM believer in "it's the owner, not the breed".

Anyway, here's a picture of my baby. If you have a pit bull, post a picture! If you own one, you know they're the best, most loyal, loving dogs ever! I'd love to see your doggies and hear your stories!

189046_206757632668739_100000035121897_796750_5770252_n.jpg

294414_288609584483543_100000035121897_1184500_732140599_n.jpg

406494_349764608368040_100000035121897_1385173_621392005_n.jpg

578921_411266478884519_100000035121897_1556586_2056172130_n.jpg

Replies

• pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I dont have a pit (I have a silly bichon-poodle that showed up one day at my parents :heart: ) BUT i love pits! A good friend of mine has a pit & an american bulldog/pitbull (the 2 "worst" breeds in one!) They are the sweetest dogs I have ever been around. They fight with each other but have never been aggressive toward me or any other friends. I also believe it's the owner and how they were raised that affects their behavior.

Your baby is adorable!
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Options
    Thank you! :smile:

My dog isn't a fan of some dogs but when he decides to make friends, he is in LOVE! lol He's more of a single-dog-family-dog.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    He is absolutely gorgeous!
    I don't have a pic of ours on my work computer, but we have always had pits. Capone we have had for 12 years now, and he could not be a better dog. He weighs more than I do, so he is quite intimidating... 110 pounds of big baby♥
    I also have a 1yr old French Bulldog, Freya, and they are best friends......
    I don't think we will ever be without a pit in the house, to me they are one of the best dogs to own...it really is how you treat and care for them...and it saddens me when they only get bad raps....due to bad owners....
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about Pitbull the Cuban rapper/ entertainer (which I love dancing to).

Ha!
  • victoriasnow
    victoriasnow Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    he is adorable!!! i don't have a pitbull (REALLY want one though!), but i do have two male Siberian Huskies & grew up with German Shepherds. I feel the exact same way you do! I always try to stress that it IS the owner, not the breed that makes a dog act the way they do. When I was growing up with shepherds, they had a seriously bad rep (still do, but not as bad as pits), & everyone would say we shouldn't let our dogs around other kids because they're such an aggressive breed. NOT TRUE!! every single dog we had (which was around 13-15 when their were puppies), was a complete sweetheart. one of our dogs, Zenta, a female, was very protective of our family & of the dogs & she would let someone know they were not welcome because she knew they were bad company. but back to the pitbulls, i support them 100%!! i love those dogs so much. so glad you posted those pics! he's super cute :)
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Kudos to pit bulls and the owners who recognize them as the loyal, fun loving dogs that they are. Hearing about owners who abuse them for dog fighting brings me a rage like no other.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Beautiful dog
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love pitties, and I know what you mean. As a (former) doberman owner (RIP, baby), I know how people can totally judge a dog by it's breed. My doberman had three legs. She was found by some people who saw something moving on the side of a highway. When they pulled over, they found a 7-pound puppy, but they didn't even know what kind of animal it was, it was so badly hurt and beaten. All of her legs and nearly every rib in that puppy's chest was broken, and they couldn't save her one front leg. When my family heard the story, we knew we had to help and have her. We were able to fly her out to us, all the way across the country from where she was found, after she was healed up, which took 7 months. She showed up on our doorstep with a big red bow on her neck and a candy-cane shaped bone in her mouth on Christmas Eve and was one of the sweetest, most gentle dogs we've ever owned. I would get so upset when people would hear we had a doberman and turn their nose up, like she was immediately evil. She went to college with me, and ended up being "my" dog. She passed away about 4 years ago, but I would never hesitate to get another dog that is typically considered a "bad" breed.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old pit, a 9 year old husky and a 8 year old lab.

I live in a zoo
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Options
    I thought this would be fitting for MFP haha

McDonaldsPBAd.jpg
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I love pit bulls. They're gorgeous, yours is beautiful. One day when I get out of NYC, I will get a pit bull buddy. :D
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Options
    I love pitties, and I know what you mean. As a (former) doberman owner (RIP, baby), I know how people can totally judge a dog by it's breed. My doberman had three legs. She was found by some people who saw something moving on the side of a highway. When they pulled over, they found a 7-pound puppy, but they didn't even know what kind of animal it was, it was so badly hurt and beaten. All of her legs and nearly every rib in that puppy's chest was broken, and they couldn't save her one front leg. When my family heard the story, we knew we had to help and have her. We were able to fly her out to us, all the way across the country from where she was found, after she was healed up, which took 7 months. She showed up on our doorstep with a big red bow on her neck and a candy-cane shaped bone in her mouth on Christmas Eve and was one of the sweetest, most gentle dogs we've ever owned. I would get so upset when people would hear we had a doberman and turn their nose up, like she was immediately evil. She went to college with me, and ended up being "my" dog. She passed away about 4 years ago, but I would never hesitate to get another dog that is typically considered a "bad" breed.

This was such a hard story to read. I am in tears. I am so, so, so sorry to hear that she passed but I can tell you gave her a great life. I think dogs really do understand when you rescue them and you become more than just their "owner".
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    A pit bull is definitely in our list of dogs we are going to own. I want to continue with our new trend of getting "scary" dogs, and raising them properly, y'know with love and respect; so we can break this stupid stereotype.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    Options

This was such a hard story to read. I am in tears. I am so, so, so sorry to hear that she passed but I can tell you gave her a great life. I think dogs really do understand when you rescue them and you become more than just their "owner".

She had a great life. Vets always said she'd live to be 6 or 7, because of how much her internal organs shifted because she "hopped", but she lived to be 13 years old, so don't be sorry! :heart:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Happy pit owner for many years. My wife and I currently have one rescue pit named Junebug (in my profile pics, sleeping with my daughter). There will always be some maligned breed of dog that is the one that gets all the attention. It's pit bulls now, but it used to be Rotties, before that Dobermans, before that German Sherpherds, before that... ?? All it takes is a strong breed of dog to become popular and dumbass owners will make a name for the breed.

Anyone who knows the least bit of history about pit bulls know that human aggression was actually bred *out* of them to perform in fighting. Most responsible pit bull breeders will tell prospective owners not to get a pit bull for home protection, because they are naturally human friendly. Those statements probably sound outlandish to people that only know pit bulls from news stories and When Animals Attack shows. But it doesn't take much to research.

If you want a realistic idea of which breeds of dogs are aggressive, talk to vet techs and dog groomers. You know, people that handle all kinds of dogs and don't have any motivation to sensationalize for ratings or politics. Please let me know if you can find a vet tech or dog groomer anywhere who claims pit bulls - as a breed - are more aggressive than other dogs. I haven't found one. And I've asked a lot.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    His music is Muy Caliente...<--- learned that from one of his songs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtyqpEmMLWERYvix_JkKS-Wbp5-W23SSTppzmOi15e77PFXC9xZA
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Options
    kennethmgreen - I love the pic of your dog and little girl in bed together. So sweet!

I had a dachshund that would attack people and bit my moms face when she would come to lose to me. He was a terrifying little $#!+ (but I still loved him to death).

My neighbors are afraid of my dog because they run away when we come outside!! I've tried to introduce them, but when you bring a protective dog up to someone to sniff, and they're holding a large object to swat him away, IT'S GONNA SCARE MY DOG!! He thinks they are going to hurt me with it so he does what ALL dog breeds do, protect their owners. It's really sad that we are discriminated against.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I had a Pit/??? mix...she was the greatest animal. Totally easy going...let my kids climb all over her when they were very little. She wouldn't even put her teeth on us when we'd give her treats. She'd lick them out of your hand or nudge it until the treat fell on the floor. She was a beautiful, sweet, loving creature who constantly caught a bad rap because she was part Pitbull. I am getting all teary just typing this...we had to put her down a few years ago. We all miss her still. I would get another Pit in a heartbeat.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    Options
    One of my favorite images:

pitbull.jpg
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 yr old pittie who is a real delight. I have owned many different types of dogs and she is one of my favorites. She definitely has her flaws such as aggressiveness towards other dogs (selectively) and can be a lot to handle but she is has so much personality and is one of the most loving, goofy dogs I have ever met. I have a lot of friends with pits who will pretty much say the same about theirs.