Protein Powder WITHOUT Whey?

Options
13»

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Awesome! Thanks.Intolerant to egg? OUCH. ): Just hearing that makes me feel sad. Eggs are wonderful.

But this is another product for me to check out! Thanks!

No problem. Protein powders get expensive and I know how hard it is to find ones when you have intolerances, if I can save someone from spending 20-40$ on one that is awful then that's great.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know a protein powder that isn't made with whey?

I'm trying to find something but I thought if anyone knows one off hand it would make my search much quicker. :D Thanks in advance.

I just started taking Jarrow Ultimate Plant Protein powder, it mixes really nicely with Almond milk in a shaker cup or you can add fruit and yogurt for a smoothie. 21 grams protein for 2 scoops, it is Vegen, Gluten free, no egg, no dairy, no peanut/soy, no fish/shellfish, no tree nuts
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Vega. Vegan protein powder.

These are the sources of protein in it:
    •Pea protein
    •SaviSeed™ (sacha inchi) protein
    •Hemp seed protein
    •Sprouted whole grain brown rice protein
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know a protein powder that isn't made with whey?

I'm trying to find something but I thought if anyone knows one off hand it would make my search much quicker. :D Thanks in advance.

I just started taking Jarrow Ultimate Plant Protein powder, it mixes really nicely with Almond milk in a shaker cup or you can add fruit and yogurt for a smoothie. 21 grams protein for 2 scoops, it is Vegen, Gluten free, no egg, no dairy, no peanut/soy, no fish/shellfish, no tree nuts

That sounds excellent! Thank you.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love Now Foods pea protein, available on drugstore.com for pretty cheap. (28 g protein, 130 calories.)
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    GNC carries the Jay Robb Egg White Protein. I was considering it, but I went with the whey (no tolerance issues, luckily) since I mostly need it for after I work out. Good luck finding what you're looking for.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have tried four different brands of vegan protein powders. Sunwarrior, Vega, Genuine Health, and Growing Naturals. Keep in mind that most vegan protein powders don't taste as well with water, but if you try different amounts of water with it you can make it better. I just always use almond, coconut, or soy milk because it just tastes better.

Vega is nasty and really expensive for being nasty. Both texture and flavor are not good.

Growing Naturals is my favorite. It is the only brown rice protein isolate out there. It has slightly more protein in it than other plant-based proteins. It mixes well and the vanilla and chocolate taste super good. It's Non-GMO and GF.

Sunwarrior is really good too - probably my second favorite. It is brown rice protein. Both the vanilla and chocolate are very yummy, but their Warrior Blend is like the texture of sawdust and doesn't go away, even in a blender. The "natural" one is good for adding to recipes without adding flavor or sweetness.

Genuine Health Vegan Proteins+ is also very good and a pretty good price. It's a mixture of different types of plant-based proteins. Mixed with milk, the vanilla tastes like cake batter. :) The chocolate is not as good, and I have not tried the strawberry. The texture, when mixed in a blender bottle, is not as smooth as the Sunwarrior and Growing Naturals, but still not bad.

I take a "cautionary" approach to soy proteins. I see nothing wrong with avoiding soy and GMOs if you can get something else at the same price with the same amount of protein that tastes just as delicious.
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    I only use Vega Sport Protein (plant-based). It's AWESOME, has no side effects of milk or soy protein powders, and my muscles went POP within a week of using it! They just changed their formula so now the chocolate is my favorite. Mixed with nothing but water and super yummy!
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    Vega is nasty and really expensive for being nasty. Both texture and flavor are not good.

I'm guessing you tried Vega a few months ago (or earlier)? They have changed all their formulas and they are WAY better now. I used to gag down the old formulas but now they are super tasty!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

I'm guessing you tried Vega a few months ago (or earlier)? They have changed all their formulas and they are WAY better now. I used to gag down the old formulas but now they are super tasty!

It was maybe 2 months ago. It's still too expensive. The carbs are pretty high too for a protein powder. And 260 calories for 26g of protein? I don't think so... I can get double the protein for that amount of calories with other powders.
  • Amielizabeth
    Amielizabeth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva Hemp Powder, which I like alright. I've actually been using Hemp + Fiber because that's what they sell at my grocery store.

I just recently saw this website (Truenutrition.com) recommended in the comments section of a running blog I read. You can custom mix your protein powder with a blend of whatever you want. They have a variety of protein sources to choose from. I haven't actually ordered from them, but a site like that might be an option.
  • onit331
    onit331 Posts: 10
    Options
    Has anyone tried the GNC Total Lean powders? I bought them because they were oat based (I have a slight lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance (wheat is a killer. Anybody read the book 'Wheat Belly'? TOTALLY makes sense!!!) and started started using them about two weeks ago. I LOVE how they mix and taste, BUT...I honestly think they increase my cravings!! Not good. Anybody else use them or have that result from any powders?? (I know wheat/glutens can actually increase cravings. Maybe this oat based powder is doing the same thing. ????)
  • cspeer8
    cspeer8 Posts: 1
    Options
    Arbonne makes a protein powder w out whey or soy. All natural...no additives. Message me if you're interested. It's sold by independent distributors only.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Life's Basics protein powder is good, it's made of hemp, pea, rice, and chia seed proteins.
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use garden of life raw protein powder (chocolate). My favorite shake is one scoop of that, one banana, 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk, two tablespoons PB2, a cup of ice and 10 drops of nunaturals liquid stevia. YUM! It's something like $25 at my whole foods which I think is on the pricey side. I also tried hemp protein powder and I couldn't taker the taste and texture....plus it was more calories and less protein (I think). The first day I tried it he raw protein powder in a cup of almond milk and couldn't get it down....nasty. In my shake it's my favorite treat :)
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump ... oh thank goodness!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I use beef protein, whey, and casein.
  • mythreeboys3
    Options
    I use a pea, cranberry, and brown rice protein. Arbonne has a delicious protein vanilla or chocolate and 20 grams of protein per serving. That is why I am an Arbonne Consultant, so if you are interested in trying the proteins please contact me.
  • noreen2012
    Options
    bump