Should Public schools switch to uniforms?

Options

Replies

• pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Private school uniforms are expensive (I went to private h.s.) but public school uniforms (around here, anyway) can be purchased anywhere, all the big box and discount stores carry them, as long as they are the right colors, they are suitable. Public h.s. kids wear khaki pants and white tops, junior high wears dark blue pants and blue shirts. It is cheaper than buying trendy clothes, there is no time wasted putting together an outfit every day, and no one looks cooler than anyone else. I taught junior high, and the uniforms really helped cut down on bullying, gang representing, and time wasted showing off. There is a remarkable difference in the atmosphere of the school; uniforms make it business like, and attitudes are more co-operative. I have taught in schools without and schools with uniforms, and I support uniforms 100%.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The parents opposed the measure because they wanted their kids to be able to "express" their individuality. Not through art or music or anything stupid like that! Oh no, through a pair of $120 Miss Me jeans that all of the other bratty little girls have, too. It's ridiculous. The parents use the kids to flash their money and the kids who don't have that money get made fun of.

This is the reason that I am glad my children are out of school. Some people just should not be teachers.

I don't think it is about individuality as much as requiring children to think and make decisions for themselves from an early age.
    Also, my children were active and clothes did not get worn twice. Body odor stays with the clothes and gives kids something to tease you about.

Wow...way to totally miss the point. And insult my character while you're at it! The point was the kids DON'T make the decisions. Their moms and dads do. There are absolutely other ways to encourage decision-making skills. Like in the classroom, about important subjects, for example. Out-dressing each other is an unnecessary skill. Period. The parents where I teach are nouveau riche soccer mom types who flash their money on their kids' backs. Unless you know of 12 year olds who go shopping by themselves for every piece of clothing they own I'm not sure how you can conclude that the parents aren't a major influence on the clothing choices.

Also, body odor? I was an extremely active kid, sweated a lot and never had this issue. Because I washed my clothes each time I wore them. Problem solved. It would apply exactly the same way with standardized dress polos. And 5 generic uniform polos are A LOT cheaper than 5 off-the-rack name brand shirts.

Completely agree with you! And I think the BO thing was about my comment. I noted that two pairs of pants a week should usually be fine, pants can usually be worn more than once before washing, but then I said that shirts might be different different because of BO and stuff. And two pairs of khaki pants and five polo shirts would not be terribly expensive , you can go to KMart for that stuff (we're not talking about prep school pleated skirts and stuff). And kids just aren't that active in school unless it's PE, in which case they should be in different clothing, if they're not then that obviously adds a different component. When they come home they can change into jeans and a t-shirt or whatever, but they still don't need a different home outfit every day either, except maybe shirts. Adding two pairs of pants and five shirts to a child's wardrobe isn't unreasonable. And for those who do need help, there are options.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    At my school they never really teased anyone for their clothes but all the girls would wear short shorts and the sluttiest clothes ever. Hey Im young though so its a different generation.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My daughter has always wanted to go to a school with uniforms. I love the idea, myself.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with it.. We enrolled for the charter school lottery (it is public, but you have to apply and be picked) and they have to wear khakis or navy pants/shorts/skirt and navy, white or blue polos shirts.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    At my high school they restricted our clothing options so much and we all got in trouble so often for breaking the rules that the senior class actually started a petition to GET uniforms so we would stop getting detentions.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I believe that there is so much garbage going on in the schools, it is a miracle that they learn anything. I believe they should also have separate boys from girls. Nothing to get in the way of education!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    absolutely NOT!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE it! My son is only in Kindergarten and the other day I picked out his Mickey Mouse shirt from Disneyland and he said he didn't want to wear it b/c his friends might make fun of him. I was blown away...I mean, when I was a kid you were pretty freaking awesome if you lived in Pennsylvania but had been to Disneyland. Apparently Mickey is no longer cool...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    My daughter has always wanted to go to a school with uniforms. I love the idea, myself.

I always wanted them too. I hated watching people get picked on because their parents couldn't afford for them to wear everything that comes from Hollister and such.
  • HappyHealthyDoll
    Options
    I live in Australia where all school's have a uniform. It means everyone looks the same, there may be some difference in shoes and school bags it protects the children from poorer backrounds because they look the same as everyone else. My public high school was very strict about how our uniform was to be worn. Even on casual day's we had to follow a basic standard in dress code, thank god......I look at the way some of the younger girls dress and I think Julia Roberts wore more in Pretty Woman!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I went to public school, and honestly, I don't think my education or experience would have been at all improved by the presence of uniforms. Sure we had a dress code that was enforced, but I have friends who went to private schools and they could still get demerits and fines for wearing their uniforms incorrectly (not tucking in shirts, not buttoning up all the way, hiking up skirts, etc.) The distractions and issues still existed, even though everyone was technically still wearing the same thing.

I don't necessarily buy the "express yourself" thing with clothing, but I do this it's a way to get kids used to making choices and doing things on their own. When I was in elementary school, every night my mom would help me pick out my clothes and let me choose what to wear. Guiding children towards making their own choices is a pretty important part of their development. Sure there are other ways to do it, but it doesn't hurt.

The only real benefit I see if the cost saving measure for poorer families. They can buy five shirts and two or three pairs of pants and their kid is set for school and there's less pressure to fit in with the other, more well to do kids. But other than that I don't really see a point.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was made fun of for what I wore, generic clothes. I couldn't afford $50 Guess? jeans. I came from a poor, single parent family.

Who is going to pay for the uniforms? Currently, public schools in my area are sending home lists of school supplies with kids, and they show up with whatever is on their list, then the teacher throws everything in a pile and rations out all the supplies for the class.

personally, I don't think that is fair, Why should one parent who is barely making it pay for another child's supplies because their parent knows they don't have to buy supplies? Not that I believe most people are like this, I just happened to work with a lady that did just that, she only bought enough supplies for one child and expected her other child to be provided for.

Uniforms are great for keeping distractions/teasing down, but somebody is going to bear the brunt of the cost. "Forgive my uniform loan!"

As far as the school supplies go, I let the teacher know my child is coming in with . . . if he needs anything more please send me a note. I'm happy to send in what he needs as he needs it. I refuse to buy 30 glue sticks and 20 packs of pencils so they can be distributed to the other children. I can barely afford to pay for what my own children need. I would gladly pay for my children to wear school uniforms though. It does lessen some of the teasing and it also helps with early morning confusion on what to wear and getting off to school.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Try taking away the individuality of adults and see what happens to society. :noway:
    Don't do it to our children either.

Wow a Phillies fan and a Giants fan agree! :)
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I had to wear a uniform when I was in 7th and 8th grade. I not only HATED it, but kids got teased WAY more since the uniform that we had to wear were very expensive and most parents only bought a couple of them because of how much they were. I remember when my grandmother took me shopping for them (she took care of me) and she was so pissed off at how much they were and went to the school to fight it. I still ended up having to wear them but I spent more time in detention than in my actually classes because I didn't always have the right outfit on since we couldn't afford them. Plus I grew like CRAZY 7th grade so the uniforms I did get were way to small for me by the end of the year. I will NEVER support uniforms.
  • HappyHealthyDoll
    Options
    Here in Aussie all schools have uniforms.....When kids leave school and get a job, most places have uniforms.......Do you think that workers shouldn't have uniforms?????

I actually requested my work's uniform, I'm far too lazy to be bothered choosing what to wear each day.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i have literally begged the school board to change to uniforms but Nope they wont do it.

i love uniforms.

Some parents think it will not be financially beneficial but they are so mistaken. I tried to get them to try for 1 school year. Im not giving up.

I wore uniforms in elementary & middle school. when i went to public school is when people found out I was poor and thats when things got ugly.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    With everything going on in our public schools, this is the issue? It's not crap funding, reducing the arts and falling behind in math and science, but what kids are wearing? Leave the kids alone and let them dress how they want while they still can.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know the elementary schools here, and I think even the middle schools, wear a "uniform" which is khaki bottom, and the school t-shirt. Not a polo, just a t-shirt with the school logo and name on it. That wouldn't bother me too much, but my kids are both under 4 right now, so ask me again when they're in school haha!

The thing that bothers me, is last I heard, teachers don't fail students any more. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that's what I think needs to be changed.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My daughter's pubic school wore uniforms - Khakis and a polo shirt. Then it just became about where your khakis and polo came from. Unless they go the catholic school route of THIS polo from THIS store, the same old issue exists.