Should Public schools switch to uniforms?

Options

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't send my kid to a public school that required uniforms.
  • TMcMillan
    TMcMillan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In my city all schools wear uniform, public and private. Most of the high school students use public transportation and many fight break out because of school rivalry. It is easy to identify what school a students goes to. From a parents' point of view I am for uniforms. When we lived in Mississippi my son did not have to wear uniform to his public school and it was a pain to dress him everyday. Uniforms are expensive, but I usually spend about $200 for the entire school year...I was spending a lot more on regular clothes.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I say nay. I've never had to wear a school uniform but I've known people who have had to.

My reasons for no uniforms:
    1. School uniforms can be expensive.

2. Kids are going to nitpick, brag, & show off. If it's not about your clothes... it could be that your shoes aren't cool enough, your phone isn't "new" enough, etc. There will always be something they make fun of, it's just building up an immunity to it.

3. It takes away individual freedom. The whole "short pleated skirt + button down shirt" look isn't my thing. I'm legitimately uncomfortable in anything other than my baggy jeans & loose t-shirts. It's to the point where I feel like I've got ants running up and down my body and where I'm constantly trying to tug the skirt down to cover myself.

4. They'll break dress code anyways. Girls will shorten skirts, leave a lot of their blouse undone, boys won't wear their ties. If it's a rule, kids will flaunt it.

5. I honestly see no point in it.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The parents opposed the measure because they wanted their kids to be able to "express" their individuality. Not through art or music or anything stupid like that! Oh no, through a pair of $120 Miss Me jeans that all of the other bratty little girls have, too. It's ridiculous. The parents use the kids to flash their money and the kids who don't have that money get made fun of.

This is the reason that I am glad my children are out of school. Some people just should not be teachers.

I don't think it is about individuality as much as requiring children to think and make decisions for themselves from an early age.
    Also, my children were active and clothes did not get worn twice. Body odor stays with the clothes and gives kids something to tease you about.

Wow...way to totally miss the point. And insult my character while you're at it! The point was the kids DON'T make the decisions. Their moms and dads do. There are absolutely other ways to encourage decision-making skills. Like in the classroom, about important subjects, for example. Out-dressing each other is an unnecessary skill. Period. The parents where I teach are nouveau riche soccer mom types who flash their money on their kids' backs. Unless you know of 12 year olds who go shopping by themselves for every piece of clothing they own I'm not sure how you can conclude that the parents aren't a major influence on the clothing choices.

Also, body odor? I was an extremely active kid, sweated a lot and never had this issue. Because I washed my clothes each time I wore them. Problem solved. It would apply exactly the same way with standardized dress polos. And 5 generic uniform polos are A LOT cheaper than 5 off-the-rack name brand shirts.

Completely agree with you! And I think the BO thing was about my comment. I noted that two pairs of pants a week should usually be fine, pants can usually be worn more than once before washing, but then I said that shirts might be different different because of BO and stuff. And two pairs of khaki pants and five polo shirts would not be terribly expensive , you can go to KMart for that stuff (we're not talking about prep school pleated skirts and stuff). And kids just aren't that active in school unless it's PE, in which case they should be in different clothing, if they're not then that obviously adds a different component. When they come home they can change into jeans and a t-shirt or whatever, but they still don't need a different home outfit every day either, except maybe shirts. Adding two pairs of pants and five shirts to a child's wardrobe isn't unreasonable. And for those who do need help, there are options.

I will try to explain my comments:
    1. I wasn't attacking your character just the attitude you were displaying toward young girls in your school or district.
    2. I was a single mother of 3 and my children went to a school district for a year that had to have uniforms and due to age they were in 3 seperate schools each of which had their own colors. I had to work obviously so i couldn't do laundry every other night which to me meant a uniform for each day. That was extremely expensive even at kmart and walmart for the cheap stuff compared to prior years where I bought 1 new outfit and 1 pair of sneakers each at the start of the school year. And I did the change into your play clothes when you come home but wasn't home to make them do that. Thankfully by this time the oldest one was old enough to babysit.
    3.The BO comment was in response to the other poster. However, everyone is different and some kids sweat even when they are just sitting in their chairs at school. Just because you didn't have this problem doesn't mean other people don't.
    4. The other options for uniforms I didn't qualify for I made to much gross income.
    5. I didn't miss the point, I just didn't agree with it. Why is it when you don't agree with people they think you don't understand what they are saying, like your ignorant or uneducated. Even if the parents are there when they buy the clothes the children choose their clothes in the morning which makes them think and make daily decisions. And the reactions they get from their parents, siblings, teachers and anyone else they meet teach them alot.

I stand by my thoughts which were not meant to insult you. Schools don't need uniforms.
  • Kooraloo
    Options
    In my city all schools wear uniform, public and private. Most of the high school students use public transportation and many fight break out because of school rivalry. It is easy to identify what school a students goes to. From a parents' point of view I am for uniforms. When we lived in Mississippi my son did not have to wear uniform to his public school and it was a pain to dress him everyday. Uniforms are expensive, but I usually spend about $200 for the entire school year...I was spending a lot more on regular clothes.

Wow, you're spending a lot. I rarely ever spend money on clothes. I guess my parents have it easier because I prefer the baggy t-shirts and jackets that come from my sports teams, and I go jeans shopping like once every two years, haha.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I know the elementary schools here, and I think even the middle schools, wear a "uniform" which is khaki bottom, and the school t-shirt. Not a polo, just a t-shirt with the school logo and name on it. That wouldn't bother me too much, but my kids are both under 4 right now, so ask me again when they're in school haha!

The thing that bothers me, is last I heard, teachers don't fail students any more. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that's what I think needs to be changed.

This is off topic, but I'm going to respond here. Some things vary from state to state, but in my state the teacher may fail a student but:
    1. It often reflects poorly on the teacher (even if in middle or high school and the student failed more than one class this is often seen as a reflection of each teacher)
    2. Teachers don't get to decide if students are passed on. They can fail a student, the grade goes on the report card, but the student gets passed on to the next level anyway, often even though they may barely be able to read.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Why do people assume uniforms = prep school uniforms? A lot of the comments don't apply to the standardized dress code that many public schools today require (in the U.S.).
  • Kooraloo
    Options
    Why do people assume uniforms = prep school uniforms? A lot of the comments don't apply to the standardized dress code that many public schools today require (in the U.S.).

That's because all I've ever heard of are prep school uniforms. I'm not very well educated on uniforms/standardized dress codes, though... Just commenting on what I know. My school has no "dress code", I guess. Or if we do, it's very lax. The only thing we're not allowed to have are alcohol/drug/sex references. Anything else goes.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    My son goes to a public charter and they have uniforms. they are cost effective (a black t-shirt for a top) and any solid tan or black pants. i don't have any arguments about what to wear. and the cost is realatively low. my twins will be there next year.. i look forward to not having to deal with the morning i dont know what to wear tantrum with my daughter! the school is 6-12 and when they get to 9th, they have the option of "proffessional dress" so they can wear things that would be work appropriate. i have seen what the kids wear to the local jr high and high school... i have no idea how any boy could function with that much t and a hanging out!

and believe me.. i teach in the elementary schools as well.. and some of those little kids are dressing way too provocative for their age.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    My son goes through pants like paper. I can't afford the high priced crap. Hell his $10 jeans from Wal-Mart hold up a lot better than his uniform pants do. And if he gets a rip in the knee, then it's a fashion statement :laugh: Now I'm stuck having to buy new gym shorts from the school and a gym shirt. He can't wear blue pants or any color shirt but Red, White, or Navy.

Can't get a rip in the knee in his uniform pants, he'll get sent home from school. My son is 8 years old and recently was switched to the same school my little sister (his aunt) goes to. He came home one day saying he wants to go back to his old school.

"My new school cares more about having your shirt tucked in than how good you can read." Those are words of an 8 year old.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    They will still tease them for their clothes.The schools in my district are now all uniform,so now the kids tease the kids whos parents buy their khaki pants at wal mart instead of aeropostale or abercrombie. The reasoning they give for uniforms here since gangs are not really an issue is that they dont want kids to feel bad if they cant afford designer clothes.Well the kids are still being made to feel bad. And thats part of the problem,kids need to learn that sometimes some people will have more than them and thats just a part of life. I hate the uniforms.
  • veganbaum
    Options

That's because all I've ever heard of are prep school uniforms. I'm not very well educated on uniforms/standardized dress codes, though... Just commenting on what I know. My school has no "dress code", I guess. Or if we do, it's very lax. The only thing we're not allowed to have are alcohol/drug/sex references. Anything else goes.

Many of the public school "uniforms" are very basic and not "uniforms," it's a standardized dress code - not pleated skirts, ties, jackets, etc. It's generally a basic pair of pants/shorts that are navy, khaki, or black, and a polo shirt of a certain required color. The variety of color choices vary by school. Girls are often allowed to choose to wear pants or skirts.

I think such a "uniform" should be required. If it was the typical prep-school uniform I would object, because that would put a financial strain on parents that I think would be unfair if they're attending public school.
  • emilymeanssuccess
    Options
    Coming from a high school girl, I say yes, we should have uniforms. I hate the way some people dress so revealing, and some people get picked on a lot. It's really immature.
  • Kooraloo
    Options

Many of the public school "uniforms" are very basic and not "uniforms," it's a standardized dress code - not pleated skirts, ties, jackets, etc. It's generally a basic pair of pants/shorts that are navy, khaki, or black, and a polo shirt of a certain required color. The variety of color choices vary by school. Girls are often allowed to choose to wear pants or skirts.

I think such a "uniform" should be required. If it was the typical prep-school uniform I would object, because that would put a financial strain on parents that I think would be unfair if they're attending public school.

Ohh, okay. I didn't know that. I don't know, I still disagree. I think that kids will still bully the other kids for reasons like an above poster mentioned, like "Oh, you bought your clothes at Walmart, not Abercrombie?". But everyone has a right to their own opinion!
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yes. I wore a uniform from grades 1-8. I see no issue with it.

Just one issue... If you mandate uniforms then they should be subsidized for low income families similar to how school lunches are handled.

This!!

I disagree with those that say uniforms help the parent financially. How? Uniforms require me to add to the wardrobe my children already have. It's an added expense I can't always afford, and I usually get their clothes from Goodwill including their uniforms. It all adds up.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    When I was in HS, we played Catholic High in football. Those kids were EVIL! They threw eggs at our bus, mooned us, chased the bus until security stopped them. Oh and they were in uniform. We had more respect and we were in normal clothes.

My point? Uniform won't solve the issues kids have :wink:
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've been to a school that required a uniform, and I currently attend a school that does not.

Personally, I preferred the uniforms. I mean, they were terrible (I firmly believe that the pants were made of tarps and spray-painted black), but I quickly got used to them. Actually, when I first switched to my current school, it took me an insanely long time to get dressed in the morning: "Wait... I have to CHOOSE what color of shirt I'm going to wear today?!"
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    that is intersting about all the teasing still in the school.. i guess we are lucky to have the charter.. i say all the kids at the school are a bit "quirky" and that is one of the things i really love about the school. the kids are still who they are.. there is one boy who wears eye liner, and most of the kids have dyed hair. At one of the recent dances.. one of the 7th grade boys came up to me to show me his dress. i don't think you can get any quirkier that that... all the kids are very respectful of one another and they do not pick on kids for being 'different" most of the kids ended up at this school because they were picked on at their previous school.

it is a very supportive environment.. i think at least 20 kids call me mom... and anytime i walk into the building.. i get hug after hug from the kids.. lovely bunch..
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    In my sons school kids are still being teased,especially the ones who have to wear the same polos and kahkies their parents bought at the begining of the year straight to the end no matter how faded an worn they get. They are still being singled out as having less money than some of the other kids. Maybe we need to teach our kids to be tougher,and not care so much what others think,insted of showing them that it matters so much everyone should look the same.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I teach at a public school and every school in the county has a uniform policy.