What time is dinner time?

Options
Just wanting to know what time people normally eat dinner around?

I dont even start cooking til 7p.m because I dont want to eat at 5p.m and be hungry before I go to bed. And yes, I know that all nutritionists/doctors/trainers etc would say this is bad but it works for me.

Whats works for you?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    What time you eat does not matter at all for weight loss. You can eat at midnight if you want. All that matters is maintaining a deficit. As long as you are eating under your daily expenditure you will lose weight.

If I waited until 7pm I would gnaw my arm off. I am not a snacker so I eat at 8, 12 and 5. I don't usually get hungry at night and if I do I just have a protein shake. I almost always leave a few calories just in case.
  • Shann5315
    Shann5315 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 6-6.30 dependng what time i get home from work.
    if i get hungry, just have a piece of fruit.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Usually 7.30 ish... but it really doesn't matter. The most important thing is to find something that fits into your lifestyle.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    First of all let me say you literally made me LOL with "gnaw my arm off" part!

I agree with what you say too, that it doesnt matter what time you eat, but everyone always says "The worst thign you can do is eat right before you go to bed". Never agreed though. I finshed eating at 8:30 tonight, which is probably late for most people.

My biggest problem, which was the hardest habit I had to break, is going to my room to relax at night, watch t.v & snack on something til I fell asleep. I had no idea how many calories I was ingesting until I started couting them!
    What time you eat does not matter at all for weight loss. You can eat at midnight if you want. All that matters is maintaining a deficit. As long as you are eating under your daily expenditure you will lose weight.

If I waited until 7pm I would gnaw my arm off. I am not a snacker so I eat at 8, 12 and 5. I don't usually get hungry at night and if I do I just have a protein shake. I almost always leave a few calories just in case.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Sounds like youre pretty disciplined, thats great!
    I usually eat around 6-6.30 dependng what time i get home from work.
    if i get hungry, just have a piece of fruit.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Thank you, I agree. Thats why I stated in my original post that it works for me. Might not be good for everyone but its great for me
    Usually 7.30 ish... but it really doesn't matter. The most important thing is to find something that fits into your lifestyle.
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    8 or 9 pm. I go to bed around 12 or 1am.
  • tiffygrl12
    Options
    Usually around 3 it's easier for me to have dinner right after school. I have a snack around 7:30 or 8.
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm a 3rd shift worker, so I eat dinner between 2:30-3:00 am. I've heard that it's best to not eat at least 3 hours before going to sleep. So say you go the bed at 11pm, probably best to eat dinner around 6pm, then you can always sneak in a snack by 8ish if you get hungry. I try to be really good about not eating 3-4 hours before bed and I have definitely noticed a difference in the way I feel and how I sleep.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    6 or 7 weeknights. 5:30ish Friday and Saturday annnnnd 7 on Sunday. :D
    It depends on who I'm with, what I'm doing, etc. Eating late doesn't bother me and I don't mind eating a healthy snack later if I've had dinner early.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Any time is dinner time? I really haven't put any effort to deciding that...
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner at four o'clock in the afternoon -- I just don't get hungry in the evenings.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner within the 7-10pm range. No fixed time
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Dinner time is when it gets dark or after I have all the outside chores done and the animals fed. Generally, dinner is between 7 and 9 p.m.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Dinner time for me is after work and the gym.. I get home around around 8:30 and by the time I prepare my food it is not usually any earlier than 9 pm, sometime as late as 10:30. After that I don't call it dinner and I try to eat a tad bit lighter than I normally would by 100 calories or so. I know it doesn't matter what time I eat, but it is not good to sleep with a full belly for health reasons such as acid reflux. Of course, my whole meal schedule is whacky...breakfast is usually between 10:30 and 11:30, coffee around 12:30-1:30, lunch around 3:30, pre-workout snack between 5:30-6:30, dinner around 9:15 and then midnight munchies between 11:30-1:30 bed between 2-3:15 am.. Crazy schedule! But it works for me.
    :happy:
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Ususlly about 6 or 7.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Thanks everyone. i just wanted to see what the average norm was for dinner time. Apparently there isnt one!
  • jencornelius
    Options
    I eat when my kids do - so I have dinner b/n 5:30-6 and then have a snack when they do before bed (7:45-8). This helps to keep me from eating after they are in bed.
  • aeanderson1988
    Options

I do believe it does matter! I just read several articles the other day about how eating less than three hours before bedtime will not give your body time to burn the necessary calories while you sleep. You will only gain weight as you sleep instead of burn calories. I recommend that you just plant to eat at least three hours before bedtime whenever that may be. That way I didn't eat sooo early that I crave late night snacks and I've digested enough that I'm not going to bed on a full stomach.
  • coolteenager101
    coolteenager101 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Dinner is at 3:30 for me. Right after, i am done with School.
    I don't eat anything after 3:30. If I ever do, then its fruits or veggies.