Spike days... A most famous myth.

Options
Look. The fact that we needed MFP in the first place debunks the notion of rest day / cheat day / spike day. We're here cause we lost control. We're here cause we gave up control to food. We're here cause we're junkies.

The notion of rest day / cheat day / spike day is just a weak excuse to fall off the wagon. It's like an ex-junkie celebrating shoot-up day. Or, an ex-drinker celebrating happy hour. You know how that goes.

Take your spike days regularly and then wonder why your clothes size doesn't change. Or, wonder why your scale never moves. Yeah, go ahead and have that ice cream and then complain about it.

We are junkies. We have to be above clean, beyond pristine. Either you have the will to beat that down. Or, you don't. Either you can live without it now. Or, you have to make excuses to dodge what it takes. Is it in you?

So, who are you?

My name is Brett. I'm a foodie who's been eating clean for two years.

Replies

• MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I know of no addict on earth that hasn't gone through the process of recovery. This journey has it's ups and downs like anything else. Most people here are seeing vast improvements over where they were, Everything will come in good time. Ah... life's little challenges. For me it's one day at a time...
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. I don't have cheat/spike days but that's because I choose not to. I refuse to begin walking the slippery slope back to who I was. You're right that it's like an alcoholic having a drunk day. However, there are many men and women here who aren't food addicts. They can incorporate spike and cheat days so that they're helpful! Same way non-alcoholics can have one drink and be done. I just don't happen to be one of them.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You know, I think it's one of those personal choice things - some people do well with moderation all week, others like a day where they don't count calories (I'm not a fan of the term "cheat day"), for me - I tend to eat well most days but don't have a crisis if I'm over or under calories now and again. And I'm certainly not planning on giving up chocolate any time soon.

It sounds as though you have found a way of eating that works for you - and that's great.
    But, it doesn't mean that every other single person needs to follow the same path.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Look. The fact that we needed MFP in the first place debunks the notion of rest day / cheat day / spike day. We're here cause we lost control. We're here cause we gave up control to food. We're here cause we're junkies.

The notion of rest day / cheat day / spike day is just a weak excuse to fall off the wagon. It's like an ex-junkie celebrating shoot-up day. Or, an ex-drinker celebrating happy hour. You know how that goes.

Take your spike days regularly and then wonder why your clothes size doesn't change. Or, wonder why your scale never moves. Yeah, go ahead and have that ice cream and then complain about it.

We are junkies. We have to be above clean, beyond pristine. Either you have the will to beat that down. Or, you don't. Either you can live without it now. Or, you have to make excuses to dodge what it takes. Is it in you?

So, who are you?

My name is Brett. I'm a foodie who's been eating clean for two years.

Spike day =/= cheat day. If you *plan* your day (as you do with a spike) and your weekly deficit remains the same, where's the "cheat"?

I was at a six MONTH plateau, didn't lose a thing no matter what I did, just maintained. Started spiking, have been losing nearly every week, some weeks more than others (we all know weight loss isn't linear). My spike day contains some "junk" food *as well as* healthy food. Mostly I use it to enjoy takeout, specifically Thai, which I don't eat any other day of the week.

And as an aside, I have suffered from binging in the past, and spiking has helped me control that in a way that NOTHING has for ten years.

Don't confuse true spiking with "cheating" where people go all out without concern about the health of what they're eating *as a whole* and no concern about their weekly deficit. It's all about the forest.

So, yes, I'll continue to have my spike days. And I won't have to wonder why my my clothing size doesn't change or why the scale doesn't move. And why's that? . . . Oh yeah, because they're both changing, for the better.
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    personally, i don;t thnk i would of lost the 20lbs i have done without doing a spike day at least once a fortnight... only because i love foods and naughty ones at that, so if i have a taste it once a fortnight for one day it satisfys me and i'm happy... and i continue to lose weight........ so think like someone else said, its a matter of what works best for the type of person.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Umm. Okay.
  • Nu_Mel
    Nu_Mel Posts: 48
    Options
    I think its the old thing everything in moderation. I'm here because my cheat days, were 7 days a week 365 days a year, not one meal a week or one day a fortnight, or whatever you choose.

I think it's more important to look at where and why you have 'cheat' days/meals. If you devour a pizza after a crap day at work, and call that your cheat meal, it's not, it's emotional eating. If you enjoy 2 glasses of wine out at dinner with friends, then yeah that's 'cheating'. Which I hate using that word BTW. I agree with PP who said, if it's counted into your daily allowances, then it's not really a cheat at all.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you are in deficit for 6 days and you have a spike day and the net for the week is still a deficit then the laws of physics say you will lose weight. As well as that, you get psychological benefits of not feeling deprived.

If you go over maintenance from you're spike day & you are trying to lose weight then you're doing it wrong.

Also, for those doing very low carbs then a higher cal/carb day can be very beneficial.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have such a tough time. Not everybody has to treat food like heroin.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Your experiences are not universal.

I don't think I'm a food addict. In the past I was more active and didn't gain weight. I got older, got less active and in the space of a year or two I put on weight (about 25lbs). I realised this eventually, so I changed things. Got more active, and started counting calories. I'm now closing in on my goal and am happy with the way things have gone. I've started making better (not ideal for some) food choices, sorted out my portions and I'm happy out.

I 'cheat' on the weekend. I don't count calories, I eat a lot more crap than during the week. This is what makes me eat healthier and exercise mid week. i keep my exercise calories and use them at the weekend to enjoy the food I want to eat. If I didn't have this,l wouldn't have the motivation to keep eating healthier.

So I have 1 very bad night (Friday), moderate but certainly not good on a Saturday, and a reasonable calorie but not necessarily healthy choices Sunday. This is nearly a third of the week. I still lost the weight I wanted to lose (almost there), I'm reaching my goals and I'm happy doing so.

This works for me, eating clean works for you. Neither is universal and others will have different things that work for them.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Umm. Okay.
    I'm not sure you know what a spike day is. Who says you have to eat junk. It's a once a week eat 2x your bmr while the rest of the week youre in a deficit. In the end you're still in a good deficit.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Although we are on different roads, our destination is the same.

And on that note, IT IS WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU!:huh:

Russ
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen spike days are based on dividing your total weekly calories by 8 and having that on 6 days per week and 2 portions of your calories on the 7th day.

Its a different way to control your food intake. I would be worried about my control if I embarked on a diet with this pattern as the weekly spike may actually knock me off track and turn into a spike weekend and so on. However, I can see why this pattern would help others keep control.

Horses for courses. So long as its healthy the diet that suits you is best for you.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

^ ^ ^ Agree.
  • StrawberrySt
    Options

Agree ^^

I've never been addicted to food or out of control and that's not why I'm here. I don't eat clean, I just eat healthier and am more aware of what I put in my body and how much.

Different strokes
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    For me, I can't do an entire spike day. I can only do a cheat *meal* occasionally when I'm on it. And that's when I'm not feeling like I could go spinning out of control

But for me, food is like heroin. I'm a recovering food addict, and I have to be every day for the rest of my life.

But, for someone else, they can have great success with one day as a cheat day or spike day:) As long as the rest are healthy.

Like I always say- everyone's journey is their own. We all travel our own ways:)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    popcorn munching commenced.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    i have lots of spike days but 2 months before summer i only drink water and eat clean 8 weeks no cheating.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here we go again. Why does what someone else does bother a person so much that they have to make a thread about it. Been spiking three years and I seem to be doing ok. I have helped many, many people that had plateued, using the spike method. Some people can eat at a weekly deficit and lose weight consistently. Others are not so fortunate and spiking fixes some of their hormonal issues that inhibits fat loss. If you want to deprive yourself go ahead but that doesn't make you any more special than me.