SERIOUSLY, eat more! I did, and look what happened! (pics)

Options

Replies

• Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congrats:drinker:

I wish more people would read this and up their calories, instead on the myth "eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight"

I have just upped mine again from 1400 to 1900 due to heavy lifting 3 times a week, I also try to NET my BMR on heavy workout days

Well done I hope this post inspires a few more to change their way of losing weight!
  • diybride
    diybride Posts: 16
    Options
    You are an inspiration! I am a recovering bulimic with restrictive behavior and I really wish I had a story like this to read back in college when I was really wrapped up in it. You go girl!
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump - so glad you're going the healthy route! you look fab!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I just raised my intake a week ago and need encouragement. I probably need broken scale, too! Great job, even better message.

Me too! Thanks...you see all these discussions about eating more, but few people who can give you a full story. :-)
  • RainbowBrite86
    RainbowBrite86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    beautiful!!! proud of you :)
  • Weight_less
    Weight_less Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am living evidence that eating too little will destroy your body... and eating more will do wonders for it! My story has two parts to it, the unhealthy weight loss part, and then the healthfully getting in rockin' shape part. If you aren't eating enough and wondering why you aren't seeing results or even loosing the progress you initially made, read my story!

Ok so I've been using myfitnesspal religiously since last May. At first, I decided I wanted to lose weight as fast as possible, so I (stupidly) completely starved myself. I would aim to eat about 500 calories a day, and I would exercise for at least an hour and a half every day. Well, I did lose weight... a lot of weight, really fast.

The first picture is before starting my weight loss, I believe in March 2011 (but it's how I looked when I started cutting calories in May). The second picture is in July 2011 (about two months later)
    CCcTJ.jpg

Great, I thought. I started eating about 800 calories a day (still WAY too low) once I was more happy with my weight. School started in August and I moved to a new campus. Meanwhile, my health was beginning to deteriorate. I had bruises all over my body. If someone so much as poked me, a bruise would appear within minutes. My body was not working the way it should at all, and I knew why. Nonetheless, I kept eating about 800 to 900 calories a day. With school picking up, I thought I no longer had time to exercise. I basically didn't move at all except to go to class because I was to tired and weak. I would decide to increase calories, so I'd eat about 1000 a day for a few weeks, but inevitably I'd feel so bad about myself for eating "that much" and cut back to 800-900 again.

Well, I don't even understand how this is possible, but even eating 900 calories a day, the weight started coming back on. I guess I had completely killed my metabolism and m body was grasping onto the little food I put in it for dear life. Then in February, I decided to get off my butt and get to the gym. I was disgusted with myself and new I needed to change. I started going to the gym 6 days a week for an hour each time. I did step aerobics classes and strength training classes, both of which I loved. With all that exercise, I knew I should be seeing results, but I wasn't. My body looked the same, and I felt weaker and weaker rather than stronger. So I finally listened to the voice inside me saying "Well duh, you're starving your body! Be healthy!"

I started aiming for about 1400 calories a day. Immediately, I noticed that I could lift more at the gym and had more endurance throughout my workouts. I started CrossFit in the beginning of April. Some people don't like it because people get pretty competitive, but I love it! After long workouts, I would notice that I was still hungry after the 1400 calories, so I listened to my body and ate more! I started eating about 1600-1700 on hard workout days. My scale broke a while back, so I have no idea how much weight I've lost since cleaning up my act, but look at these pictures for yourself. The results speak for themself :)

The first picture is from February 2012, when I had been eating about 900 calories a day or less for about 9 months (and I clearly GAINED weight since the previous picture from July 2011). The second picture is from a few days ago (April 2012) after about 3 months of serious work in the gym and 1400-1700 calories a day
    e5DpQ.jpg

I know it seems counter intuitive, but it's true. You cannot achieve maintainable weight loss by starving yourself! Eat more, lift those weights, and get results!

it was very low calorie at 500 but you still lost weight. How much did you gain after - doesn't look like much - looks like you were bloated. you look better after upping calories and doing Crossfit.
    Maybe you would have been okay losing fat at 1200 calories. most don't go as low as 500 calories.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bumping for my evening read
  • thenewmrsfitz
    Options
    great results!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    you look great. Congratulations
  • lciupa
    lciupa Posts: 48
    Options
    First off- you look AMAZING!
    Secondly, WOW
    Third- Thanks for the reminder to all of us to make sure we eat enough!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You look great! :)

I am bumping this so that more people can see it!! So many people eat <1000 a day and I wish they knew that they could look just as good if not better, by properly fuelling their body!
  • northmscountryboy
    northmscountryboy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Ive been walking hard for a week and only lost 2lbs. I was eating very little and not getting the results I thought I should have been getting. I will now figure out a new diet plan...
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am living evidence that eating too little will destroy your body... and eating more will do wonders for it! My story has two parts to it, the unhealthy weight loss part, and then the healthfully getting in rockin' shape part. If you aren't eating enough and wondering why you aren't seeing results or even loosing the progress you initially made, read my story!

Ok so I've been using myfitnesspal religiously since last May. At first, I decided I wanted to lose weight as fast as possible, so I (stupidly) completely starved myself. I would aim to eat about 500 calories a day, and I would exercise for at least an hour and a half every day. Well, I did lose weight... a lot of weight, really fast.

The first picture is before starting my weight loss, I believe in March 2011 (but it's how I looked when I started cutting calories in May). The second picture is in July 2011 (about two months later)
    CCcTJ.jpg

Great, I thought. I started eating about 800 calories a day (still WAY too low) once I was more happy with my weight. School started in August and I moved to a new campus. Meanwhile, my health was beginning to deteriorate. I had bruises all over my body. If someone so much as poked me, a bruise would appear within minutes. My body was not working the way it should at all, and I knew why. Nonetheless, I kept eating about 800 to 900 calories a day. With school picking up, I thought I no longer had time to exercise. I basically didn't move at all except to go to class because I was to tired and weak. I would decide to increase calories, so I'd eat about 1000 a day for a few weeks, but inevitably I'd feel so bad about myself for eating "that much" and cut back to 800-900 again.

Well, I don't even understand how this is possible, but even eating 900 calories a day, the weight started coming back on. I guess I had completely killed my metabolism and m body was grasping onto the little food I put in it for dear life. Then in February, I decided to get off my butt and get to the gym. I was disgusted with myself and new I needed to change. I started going to the gym 6 days a week for an hour each time. I did step aerobics classes and strength training classes, both of which I loved. With all that exercise, I knew I should be seeing results, but I wasn't. My body looked the same, and I felt weaker and weaker rather than stronger. So I finally listened to the voice inside me saying "Well duh, you're starving your body! Be healthy!"

I started aiming for about 1400 calories a day. Immediately, I noticed that I could lift more at the gym and had more endurance throughout my workouts. I started CrossFit in the beginning of April. Some people don't like it because people get pretty competitive, but I love it! After long workouts, I would notice that I was still hungry after the 1400 calories, so I listened to my body and ate more! I started eating about 1600-1700 on hard workout days. My scale broke a while back, so I have no idea how much weight I've lost since cleaning up my act, but look at these pictures for yourself. The results speak for themself :)

The first picture is from February 2012, when I had been eating about 900 calories a day or less for about 9 months (and I clearly GAINED weight since the previous picture from July 2011). The second picture is from a few days ago (April 2012) after about 3 months of serious work in the gym and 1400-1700 calories a day
    e5DpQ.jpg

I know it seems counter intuitive, but it's true. You cannot achieve maintainable weight loss by starving yourself! Eat more, lift those weights, and get results!

I looked up CrossFit and found this article, which I really enjoyed :-) Thought you might too . . .

http://startingstrength.com/articles/training_perspective_gillian.pdf
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    wow you look stunning and a great story with photographic proof that eating properly and exercising produce fantastic results.

I struggle to eat my calories without taking into consideration the ones I burn from exercise but seeing this story will definately help me try to eat more :)

well done :flowerforyou:
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    great job! you look fantastic! thanks for sharing
  • a_masone
    a_masone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When people talk about upping calories & eating more, is that for your net calories or total? For example, say I workout and burn around 300 calories and eat them back. Trying to stay at a net of 1200/day, I would eat a total of 1500 for that day. When you "up" your calories is the new calorie goal inclusive of the net calories or is it a measure of total calories? Also, how do you know if you need to "up" your number? And to what? Thanks for the advice! BTW, you look GREAT! :)
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    First of all, GOOD FOR YOU! Congratulations lady! And kudos to you for sharing your epiphany with others who are trying to dump the weight. It says a lot about your character, all good!

Secondly, I taught myself the same lesson. I know that the Atkins diet works for me, but I love fresh veggies and I love fresh fruit, much of which I have growing in our back yard and I'm not willing to skip them.....so I eat low calorie. The weight loss is slower, but I just couldn't eat healthier. Now I've done the 700 or so calorie a day dieting, which isn't something one can do for life and maintain it, and the weight loss I've had that way stalls and then those lost pounds come right back on when I start eating normal calories....not even over eating, just eating 1500 calories a day! So now I make sure I do not eat less than 1200 calories a day. I exercise as best I can....I'm limited physically....and shoot for 1200 to 1250 calories, although I will allow myself up to 1350 calories a day.....and I loose about five pounds a month. That's a healthy loss and I'm eating healthy. ...and the weight is coming off. I've dumped 122.6 pounds so far and I've got 57.4 to go ....I think....I don't really know where I'm going. I might be satisfied 40 pounds from now. I'll know it when I get there and I am getting there. :)
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Great job and eating healthy is definitely the best way to go! Gotta fuel the machine!!
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    very inspiring post! congrats on all you have accomplished!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!