Food tips, to Reach 1200 calories a Day.

Options
I would love to know what people eat to get to their calorie goal of 1200 caleries :)

Replies

• mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    high fat foods that are calorie dense... olive oil, nuts, avocados etc will easily bump you up to 1200+ calories...
  • littlemiss5foot1
    littlemiss5foot1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    if im trying to loose weight will that make me stay the same or help frop the weight though?
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it wouldn't help. I eat high fat foods (good fats) as listed above and am losing weight. :)
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Food.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, here. I promise I'm not, but:

How do people have problems eating "enough" of what should be a calorie deficit?
  • MiChaChelle
    MiChaChelle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    walnuts are great :)
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter!
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    After cardio, I have a really hard time hitting 1200 calorie net. It does become a problem. If I dont do cardio, I cant seem to stay at 1200 and will usually go over a bit. It starts to get really troublesome when you just arent hungry....which for the first time in my life has been happening consistently.
  • sdgilliam8
    Options
    I'm also seriously wondering how anyone has trouble reaching 1200 calories a day. I mean I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I think most people who need to lose weight didn't get overweight by eating under 1200 calories a day.
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My god, I wish I had a problem getting to 1200cals. I can barely stay under 1800! hahahha
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm also seriously wondering how anyone has trouble reaching 1200 calories a day. I mean I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I think most people who need to lose weight didn't get overweight by eating under 1200 calories a day.

I think the difference here is if they are changing from say eating 2000 calories of junk food a day to 2000 calories of healthy food a day, it does count as a crap load more of food!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A well balanced meal, meeting all of your nutritional requirements.

Fruits, vegetables (not iceberg lettuce), healthy fats that are found in nuts, fish, etc., lean protein, whole grains, beans, dairy, etc.

EAT. Food = Fuel.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 1200 in a meal. It's really not that hard.

If you currently eat 800. Take what you currently eat and add 50% to it.

(and eat more if you are exercising).

Also, if you are close to you're "goal weight" & set at 2lbs/week loss it is likely that 1200 is too low also.
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    any junk food. I mean seriously. a candy bar? 300 calories. Bam. one taco from taco bell? Well that's almost 400. Maybe keep some frozen burritos or hot pockets around for filling up calorie gaps.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I think the difference here is if they are changing from say eating 2000 calories of junk food a day to 2000 calories of healthy food a day, it does count as a crap load more of food!

I suppose that's true. If they're focusing on eating lots of veggies and "eating clean" then there may be an issue with sheer bulk. But, 1200 calories still isn't that much food. I'd recommend putting some butter on things to pad out the calories if it's an issue of volume.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If you are eating "whole" foods, it can be difficult to net enough calories. I try to eat mostly raw fruits and vegetables, and it is nearly impossible to do because I a) won't get enough calories, and b) don't have enough money for it. Nut butters are always a good option, as well as protein shakes. I like to snack on medjool dates, almonds, hummus with carrots. It all adds up after awhile.
  • sdgilliam8
    Options

I get that but they also aren't trying to eat 2,000 calories of healthy food. They are trying to eat 1,200. That isn't really too hard to do. Nuts are good for you but high in fat and calories. Full fat cheeses, protein shakes, etc. There are many ways to add calories without adding back "junk".
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I suppose that's true. If they're focusing on eating lots of veggies and "eating clean" then there may be an issue with sheer bulk. But, 1200 calories still isn't that much food. I'd recommend putting some butter on things to pad out the calories if it's an issue of volume.

This is true.
    @OP do you know what your BMR is?
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I get that but they also aren't trying to eat 2,000 calories of healthy food. They are trying to eat 1,200. That isn't really too hard to do. Nuts are good for you but high in fat and calories. Full fat cheeses, protein shakes, etc. There are many ways to add calories without adding back "junk".

You're missing my point. When I changed to clean eating myself it was hard and can be exceptionally hard considering the amount of calories someone burns during workouts.

The fat in nuts is mostly good fat and what is bad about high calories if that is what the OP is asking about how to eat? PS It sounds stupid but your body actually needs good fats to help the bad fats leave the body and helps assist in losing weight.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it can be to net enough calories when you're choosing essentialy healthy foods and making all the "right" choices, especially when you do exercise too. Here are a few tricks I'm learning to use:

1) Use butter instead of margerine. I'm pretty certain it's actually better for you anyway because it's not full of all the extra man-made crap marg has in it - LOL!
    2) Use olive oil instead of low-cal spray oil. This is definitely better for you anyway and tastes way better too!
    3) Drink some fresh fruit juice or a smoothie - this is great if you don't feel hungry enough to actually eat something extra, but you could manage an extra drink. You can also add a little yoghurt and/or nut butter to a smoothi to pad out the calories and give it an extra flavour boost.
    4) Drink some milk - whole milk if you can. If you can't drink it as is, use it in a milky drink such as hot chocolate as a treat. I like warm milk with honey and a little nutmeg and cinnamon as a bedtime drink on occasion.
    6) Add a little cheese to a meal.
    7) Grab a handful of nuts as a snack.
    8) Mix things up a little - try things like spreading nut butter on bananas or apple slices, or using them as a dip for carrot sticks.
    9) Houmous as a dip is awesome!
    10) Get Baking! I have a great recipe for breakfast muffins that come in at just over 200 cals. There's no sugar in them and they're great for a snack. If you'd like them sweeter, add a little honey (and adjust the values accordingly). The recipe is here: http://losingitallwithmfp.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/carrot-courgette-raisin-and-banana-breakfast-muffins/

You can TOTALLY do it without resorting to snarfing down a Mars bar or going to MacDonalds. Eat as cleanly and healthily as possible and make sure your larger calorie additions are in healthier ways like these - your body will thank you for it. :)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My calorie budget is currently 1230. That according to MFP will allow me to lose 2 lbs a week. It's been fairly consistent.

I am also exercising. I hit the ellipticals yesterday for an hour and added 744 calories to my budget according to my HRM. Even with a hard cider during dinner I had to get creative to come near my new budget of nearly 2000 calories. It's because I'm eating proper food again. I need to hunt down some cachew butter as that stuff is awesome and almond butter isn't the tasty nut butter I remembered (that's cachew)

But a nice calorie boost that is still healthy is Kashi (the 7 whole grain people) make cookies. One cookie and a glass of skim milk is nearly 200 calories and the cookie is fairly big. I have one most nights to try to come to my final budget. I was still nearly 250 calories under yesterday though, maybe only do 45 minutes the next time.